Microchipping

Tilly

When my youngest boy came to me ... he was microchipped by his breeder.

It wasn't until recently that I had discovered that while he was physically microchipped - his microchip was never actually registered with any organisation.

So even if he was found and scanned - it was completely pointless being microchipped. I had approached my vet about getting his microchip registered ... but they didn't seem to think they could actually do it because they hadn't microchipped him (something about a sticker needed to be added to the form).

It was just today that I discovered http://www.aar.org.au - where I could actually register my boy's microchip myself - so he is now registered and it was done instantly.

So - if you are not 100 percent certain your dog's microchip is registered - please double check.

You can check if your dogs microchip number is registered here

Edited by Tilly

Guest english.ivy

You can check if your dogs microchip number is registered here

This link doesn't work. There is a "/" at the end.

I'm going to check my two when I get home :)

Good reminder!

Also, a little community service announcement:

All puppies born after July 1st and registered with Dogs QLD must be microchipped.

And all dogs transferred after the 1st of July with Dogs QLD must be microchipped.

Not sure when the other states are going to start enforcing the rule.

Good idea huga :thumbsup:

Microchipping is now mandatory in Tasmania - as of 1st July 2011 - for all dogs over 6 months of age (with the exceptions of working dogs, racing greyhounds and approved hunting dogs).

Edited for clarity

Edited by Allerzeit

Guest lavendergirl

Yes - I found out that the microchip on my little boy adopted from the RSPCA was still not registered to me five weeks later after a vet scanned it and discovered there were no details. I needed to contact the RSPCA to get them to chase it up and they informed me that it can take six weeks! Hopefully not too many dogs go missing within that timeframe and end up back at the shelter!

Microchipping is now mandatory in Tasmania - as of 1st July 2011 - for all dogs over 6 months of age (with the exceptions of working dogs, racing greyhounds and approved hunting dogs).

Edited for clarity

I'm spending half my days phoning people for microchip numbers at the moment! :laugh:

Yes, they are both microchipped. When I adopted Pixie the foster carer gave me a transfer of ownership form for the microchip, which I filled out and she told me she would send it in etc. 4 weeks later I still hadn't received any sort of notification that ownership had been changed, which I thought was strange because last time I adopted an animal I had received one within 3-4 weeks. I contacted the foster carer, no reply. Tried again 2 weeks later, still no reply. I then looked through Pixie's paperwork to see if I could find the company and just contact them directly, and I then discovered that I could log in and update the contact details registered on the chip myself. No change of ownership stuff needed. Never heard back from the foster carer. (This is the dog that was also covered in fleas and had an ear infection when I adopted her, so a bit dodgy).

When I adopted Obi I was given a form to fill out too, but I am still not sure if it was just a council thing to let them know the dog was moving out of their council area, or if the change of details have actually gone through to the microchip company, so I intend to check that next time I take him to the vet.

Its scary to think that there are chips out there with no information on them at all!!

It is!

Another scary thing - we had Feonix in for hip and elbow x-rays earlier this year, and the microchip needs to be embedded on the x-rays for identification. Well, no matter how much he scanned, the vet couldn't find Feonix's chip. Now, I bred Feonix, and I was there when she was chipped as a puppy and every puppy we chipped was tested after chipping, so I know without a doubt that she had a working chip. But between then and now her chip has died or gone missing.

We ended up having to re-chip her so that we could finish doing her x-rays (and so she had a working chip!)

I was stunned when we couldn't find her chip anywhere....

Mine were both chipped by the breeder.. With one we had to transfer the details from the breeder, the other one we were given the original documents.

I have had them both scanned at the vet clinic to ensure that they actually had chips, the numbers matched what I had and there was information on them with our details. You can never be too paranoid!!

Its scary to think that there are chips out there with no information on them at all!!

It is!

Another scary thing - we had Feonix in for hip and elbow x-rays earlier this year, and the microchip needs to be embedded on the x-rays for identification. Well, no matter how much he scanned, the vet couldn't find Feonix's chip. Now, I bred Feonix, and I was there when she was chipped as a puppy and every puppy we chipped was tested after chipping, so I know without a doubt that she had a working chip. But between then and now her chip has died or gone missing.

We ended up having to re-chip her so that we could finish doing her x-rays (and so she had a working chip!)

I was stunned when we couldn't find her chip anywhere....

I know two of my girls have migrated down into their shoulder/elbow region. I get them checked yearly and if they drop much further I will get them re-chipped.

Edited for clarity

It's a little disappointing they've chosen to exempt greyhounds. We've had several come in without even ear brands and even with ear brands, there can be a great deal of trouble tracking the current owner.

Our foster Grace is a good example of that- she's branded but wasn't registered with Racing Services Tasmania so as far as they were concerned, she had no owner and could not be returned (Grace was picked up as a stray). A microchip registered with a proper registry would make it much harder for dogs like Grace to just disappear off the radar.

Interesting, I never knew Greys were exempt.

I had my boy chipped a few months ago, filled out all the paperwork at the vets office.

Got the papers back and it says his name is "unknown", DOH!

Got a little tag for his collar too with his number on it.

As a person living in NSW, you as the previous owner are REQUIRED to submit the change of owner paperwork to your local council

NOT

the people you are selling or giving the animals awy to.

I always chip my pups in my name- so if the new owner forgets to change details etc I get the phone call!! Its scary to think that there are chips out there with no information on them at all!!