Puppy Ate A Sock

Olivebaby

Well, it's way too late to get her to vomit it back up ... and way too early for it to be all the way thru yet... it will be (hopefully ) travelling along about midway by now. IF she were mine.. I would be giving her some liquid paraffin oil to help lubricate it thru . Phone the vet and ask dosage . What sort of sock .. a thick one, thin one , anklet ? ... if it was a really big thick one, I would def. be contacting the vet now ...

My GR ate 2 socks at about the same age. We didn't realise until he vomitted one up and then we couldn't find the matching sock.

The other one came out the other end a few days later. He was in quite a bit of discomfort as it was going through his system. Our vet told us to give him some vegetable oil to lubricate his insides to help it pass through.

It was a very stressful experience as we knew he was at risk of a blockage. I'd call your vet and get their advice on the situation. It could be quite dangerous.

Well, it's way too late to get her to vomit it back up ... and way too early for it to be all the way thru yet... it will be (hopefully ) travelling along about midway by now. IF she were mine.. I would be giving her some liquid paraffin oil to help lubricate it thru . Phone the vet and ask dosage . What sort of sock .. a thick one, thin one , anklet ? ... if it was a really big thick one, I would def. be contacting the vet now ...

Ah yes, our vet did tell us liquid paraffin, but we didn't have any so he said vegetable oil would be better than nothing.

Oh gee... I'm dreading that this will happen with our pup! We have any random number of baby girls socks on the floor at any given time :o

Maybe I should have a spring clean and make sure all socks are up and off the floor soon..

I hope it passes through easily for you!!

Where can I buy liquid parrafin? She was so naughty, she stole the sock to tease us like she always does, so we tried to ignore her, and instead of dropping it like usual she just gulped the whole thing down. We couldn't believe it!

Yes he was very lucky! We had 2 vets on standby in case it turned into an emergency. And of course this was all happening late at night...

I should really get some liquid paraffin for our first aid kit... just in case it ever happens again.

Yes I am getting very worried. I dont know how she is going to get this big sock out of her :-( I haven't fed her yet, was waiting to talk to the vet but they are calling me back. Do you think I should feed her breakfast?

Try not to stress too much. How big was the sock? From memory I was told to feed oscar boiled chicken and rice when it happened. But I would probably wait to talk to your vet about it.

Is she still acting normal?

What a cheeky girl, hope she is ok. One of mine is a sock thief, (he doesn't eat them just runs with them. ) if I am desperate to get it off him, I bring out the treats and he drops it and is at my feet within seconds. Its a good trick if you want them to comply, food always seems to work if they are keen.

Yes a ratbag for sure. She is so cheeky. She has taken socks ever since she was a little baby, but never stood there, looked us in the eye and swallowed it. I think it was pay back for ignoring her naughty behaviour!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...