Treibball

Does anybody train their dog in Treibball? I first heard about it at the Susan Garrett seminar last year where they did a fun mini competition. Then I looked it up on Youtube. Loooks like lots of fun! Like herding but with balls :laugh: I have a sports ball and with the wet weather have decided to start on the basics in the house for fun (going around the ball til opposite me and push ball towards me).

Any tips or hints?

Does anybody train their dog in Treibball? I first heard about it at the Susan Garrett seminar last year where they did a fun mini competition. Then I looked it up on Youtube. Loooks like lots of fun! Like herding but with balls :laugh: I have a sports ball and with the wet weather have decided to start on the basics in the house for fun (going around the ball til opposite me and push ball towards me).

Any tips or hints?

Hills Obedience Club has a Treibball team. I can't remember when they train though.

They started a Yahoo Group for Treibball in Australia - http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/OzTreibball/

A few videos done by their team are on this YouTube channel.

Edited by TerraNik

At the Dogs NSW Open Day recently they had a display that involved dogs ( in this case toy poodle) being sent out to a spot and asked to "herd" a ball in with their nose to the owner.

So this is Treibball? I thought it looked like fun and reminded me of my mini poodle I had once whose fave game was me kicking him a soccer ball. He would take it and using his nose as a guide would run around with this ball all over the place. He then would bring it back to me so I could kick it again. We would have loved Treibball then!

Looks fun!

At the Dogs NSW Open Day recently they had a display that involved dogs ( in this case toy poodle) being sent out to a spot and asked to "herd" a ball in with their nose to the owner.

So this is Treibball? I thought it looked like fun and reminded me of my mini poodle I had once whose fave game was me kicking him a soccer ball. He would take it and using his nose as a guide would run around with this ball all over the place. He then would bring it back to me so I could kick it again. We would have loved Treibball then!

Looks fun!

Yup, here is the demo in question.....I love the big black dog at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/user/marsbarzy#p/u/6/9J23L1k7mS0

Looks fun!

Yup, here is the demo in question.....I love the big black dog at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/user/marsbarzy#p/u/6/9J23L1k7mS0

That's the Hills team :)

Thanks Terranik

Have contacted the Hills club, waiting for the Treibball person to call back. Looks like their demo team trains on Friday, which unfortunately is my agility night :(

Do you know some of the skills I should teach? Obviously pushing the ball :laugh: . Looks like you also need a send to a sit around the ball? Both directions around the ball? Anything else?

So far have just started today shaping the send using a chair first. And pushing the ball towards me.

Zero and I do treibball - at the moment we're not on the hills team but I've been really slack in training him recently. I'll have to get back out there and actually do some work with him.

To start, teach your dog to go around the ball and sit behind it. Zero also has directions on him so if i tell him to go left or right, he will. We use a piece of rolled up carpet with treats in it to teach them to push. Zero is a little different because he pushes with his chest rather than his nose but he can push with his nose too if need be. I have taught him to go round the ball both ways though he definitely has a preference to which way he goes (which is the same direction as he turns on a flyball box).

He loves it - he doesn't have the natural herding ability that most of the other dogs do so i have to micro-manage him but he picks it up really quickly :)

Thanks Shell.

I think I will shape the going round and sit (both directions). Might teach it with a laundry baskey first (saw video where they used laundry basket - seems a better idea than the chair I started with :laugh: ) and when on cue with the ball so I can work on components separately. Shaping pushing the ball too - going well but not sure how you teach them to turn the ball or push harder/faster.