Treating For Fleas

I'm sure there are 8000 topics similar to this but I can't find the answer I'm after in any of the threads.

Took dogs for a check up today and the vet says they both have flea dirt on their rumps. Neither of them have been scratching and I can't actually see any fleas anywhere. Last time they had this the vet recommended Frontline Plus. When I used it I just about passed out from the toxic smell.

Is there something more 'gentle' I can use? A wash preferably? Or something natural? Or a half dose each of the Frontline?

Any tips or suggestions welcome. Thanks. :)

ETA: I don't use preventatives as they hardly ever get fleas and I think it's unnecessary.

Edited by moosepup

I use PERMOXIN but do NOT use this if there are cats in the house with your dogs ... cats cannot metabolise the chemical ..it is dangerous for them.

I don't find the smell too bad .. it sort of foams ,so can be worked well in to the coat ..and can be applied every few days if needed .

Wash all bedding and any soft furnishings (theirs and yours) in hot water and eucalyptus oil then hang in the sun to air dry. Clean all carpets and rugs and 'flea bomb' the house. Spread garden lime liberally on grass and dirt areas, keeping dogs off it - water in after a few hours before allowing dogs access. Wash dogs - any normal shampoo will do (doesn't have to be a 'flea' one though if you want to use one I recommend the Fidos brand one) but make sure you work up a real lather all over the coat (it is the suds that are important, not necessarily what is in them). Start at the head and neck (creating a 'ring' around the neck with the suds) then work your way backwards. Make sure you wash all over including between the legs and under the tail. This will kill any fleas on the dog. The rest (above) is to help get rid of the fleas in the environment.

For a wash I find the Fidos dog shampoo is good (it contains pyrethrin to kill the fleas). I find I have to use it quite frequently because the fleas will come back after a day or two.

You can sprinkle borax and/or diatomaceous earth and/or hydrated lime on carpet and bedding, leave it for a while and vacuum it up.

You can also dust your dogs with diatomaceous earth after their bath (it will make them grey and dusty but it's much safer then frontline as long as you make sure they don't inhale the dust). This should be repeated whenever the diatomaceous earth seems to have all come off until there are no more fleas.

The diatomaceous earth is from http://www.berigorafarm.com.au/

Good luck :)

If you see fleas or flea dirt on your dog you really do need to use a preventative.. as treating the fleas on the dog in that instant (like flea washes do) only copes with a very small number of the total flea population.

triangle.jpg

Vaccuming carpets etc can actually make the situation worse by waking the pupae up, and it does not suck up all the eggs.

Flea bombs and sprays also just sit on the top layer of the carpet, and don't get right down to where the fleas and their life stages are hiding.

Half a dose of frontline is about as useful as dripping water onto your dog.

I reccomend my clients use Advantage/Advocate/Advantix or Comfortis for flea control.

Edited by eventingpony

We don't have any carpet, only wood and tiles. :)

I've washed them (couldn't get Fido's so used one with similar ingredients) and all associated bedding & toys and will monitor it. If they have flea dirt (haven't seen any fleas at all, anywhere or any scratching) next weekend I'll treat them.

I don't think a preventative is necessary when they've only had them twice in 2 years and neither time have I seen any fleas so it's not a huge infestation. Just my opinion of course, I choose to medicate as little as possible.

The experts tell us that with the time the lifecycle takes, if you have a small infestation then treating for 6 months is advisable. Obviously you haven't seen any so it may be unrelated dirt. However I had all dogs on IGRs and stupidly left it out for a few months in Spring and bam we had fleas.

Just sayin' that only treating for one month might see them back with a vengenance once the weather warms up as the eggs etc. May still be present in floor crevices or in furniture.

I hear ya, I just really hate the stench of topical treatments. I might switch them over to Spectrum from Interceptor and see if that does the trick.

That is what i use for my dogs - fleas were really bad here last summer and my guys got none, was great :)