Dog Tests Positive To Hendra Virus

Aphra

there was an article i was reading a couple of weeks ago (daily mail??) will see if i can find it again, they stated the statistics of bats carrying the hendra virus 10 years ago was something like 15 %, they have recently done another research project, and the number of bats now carrying the hendra virus is up to 30 %.

I believe something should have been done about this virus when vic rail first died of it 10 years ago, and something should definitely have been done about it 4 years ago when there was another major outbreak and i think three people died (2 of them vets??)

I think for public safety the dog has to be pts, would be interested to know more about how the bats are getting it, as we have a huge problem up here in charters towers where there are 1000 and 1000's of bats who have lived in a local park for the last 10 years and it is illegal to move them on - as a result the town is closing down just due to the sheer numbers of them and no sign of hendra there.

I saw a Morning TV news show headline this a.m. that the family of the infected dog quote "Hold grave fears for their son" unquote.

I hope he hasn't contracted the virus. Those poor people.

I believe something should have been done about this virus when vic rail first died of it 10 years ago, and something should definitely have been done about it 4 years ago when there was another major outbreak and i think three people died (2 of them vets??)

I believe Vic Rail died in September 1994. Quite a bit of time has lapsed and very little has been done.

Guest lavendergirl

there was an article i was reading a couple of weeks ago (daily mail??) will see if i can find it again, they stated the statistics of bats carrying the hendra virus 10 years ago was something like 15 %, they have recently done another research project, and the number of bats now carrying the hendra virus is up to 30 %.

I think for public safety the dog has to be pts, would be interested to know more about how the bats are getting it, as we have a huge problem up here in charters towers where there are 1000 and 1000's of bats who have lived in a local park for the last 10 years and it is illegal to move them on - as a result the town is closing down just due to the sheer numbers of them and no sign of hendra there.

If public safety is the prevailing issue and whole towns or large portions of them are in danger of closing down then they should be working on a safe way to cull the bats for heaven's sake! I find it incredible that horses and now beloved dogs can be put down but the bats are somehow sacred. And by the way is it "law" that says that the dog must be pts - I have only heard "guidelines" mentioned in the press?

The real problem here as I see it, is not what the Hendra virus is today - but what it can evolve in to.

I read a blog post on it where they had some interesting links down the bottom - a piece from the ABC Catalyst program and some other sources.

Edit: Here it is http://bit.ly/oe25ih

I find it incredible that horses and now beloved dogs can be put down but the bats are somehow sacred.
Easy, bats are native, and an important part of the ecosystem while dogs and horses are introduced and dont do a thing environmentally (and in some cases impact on it negatively)

4 out of 7 people who have contracted Hendra virus died.

Its just not worth the risk. The dog has to be put down. :(

How much risk are we talking about though? That is the problem I have with this kind of blanket policy which is based on very little information. I can understand in the case of families etc that they cannot accept the risks but in my case I live alone on a property with my animals. If I had to test for hendra and found one or more of my animals had had it at some point I'd like to know the actual risks of contracting the disease particularly from animals which are not currently displaying symptoms. I'd also like the opportunity to decide for myself as to whether that risk is acceptable or not.