British Bulldog Breeders In Australia

ellen_Tas

Hi Guy's.

Hope i am posting in the right section? I am new on here :laugh:

Anyway I am after a a Liver nose (Dudley) British Bulldog. I am yet to find

a registered Breeder and I havent seen any pups advertised.

It would be much apreciated if some body could help me out.

Cheers,

Ellen :)

Paseya kennels in TAS, Embolden in NSW & Bratrice in NSW are 3 registered breeders I know :D ....

BUT, they wouldn't breed for what you are after as it is undesired.

From the breed standard: The nose should be large, broad and black, and under no circumstances should it be liver coloured or brown

Edited by EISHUND

This is the incorrect pigmentation that reputable breeders aim for, the correct colour pigment on the nose is black, as with my breed the French Bulldog.

If you were able to come across one with the colour you are looking for it would not be able to be shown or bred with and would go on a limited registered pedigree with a desexing contract. The standard states that the nose and lips must be black for both the breeds mentioned above.

Oh wow really, I didnt know that.

Why is it considered a fault? It's just a colour yeah

it doesnt make the dog any different? Just makes them look

a little more interesting to me :)

Um, finding a healthy well reared puppy from a good breeder isn't enough?

It is considered a fault because most people find it pretty unattractive and 150 or so years ago when the standard was written people weren't so afraid to say straight out - we think that's ugly and we don't want it!

It's possible that the older breeders thought it was contected to some weakness which modern genetic science shows to be an incorrect belief, but I would expect it was understood that it had the power to become entrenched in a breed, now we know it's because it's a recessive gene and can hide behind the dominant black pigment gene - back then it was probably just understood that it could pop up anywhere if it was allowed to spread.

Can't say I've ever seen a liver Bulldog tbh

@ Sandra777.

"Um, finding a healthy well reared puppy from a good breeder isn't enough?"

Did I say that? Nope I certainly didn't. I was just simply asking if anyone knew

if there were any Liver Nose BBD Breeders. I am very new to the breed so I dont know much,

Was just hoping for some helpful and positive feedback.

Why do people think its ugly?? :confused: I think it's gorgeous and makes them look unique.

I have seen a few pictures of them.

I have also come across a couple of imports in Australia from America. One being blue and I think the other "tri" coloured?

I have also come across a couple of imports in Australia from America. One being blue and I think the other "tri" coloured?

And unfortunately these importers have nothing more in mind than breeding for color as both these colors are unrecognised and will never be used by genuine reputable breeders of British Bulldogs

They are also using those dogs to cross and produce colored aussie bulldogs - which reeks of nothing more than money making from the so called "rare" colors......but hey, as they say a fool and their money are easily parted.

Here is a female that I found on the trading post a while ago. She is beautiful...

Poppins.jpg

and what do you notice health wise apart from her color........learn to look beyond color - health, type and temperament come first.

Welcome Ellen!

Try not to be too disheartened. We here on DOL are very passionate about dogs (obviously) and thus are out for the blood of those who breed irresponsibly.

The fact is that a good reputable breeder will not be breeding for things not within the standard - regardless of anyone's opinion on the look of liver nosed BBs, that's just the way it is. What I'm trying to say is, I would be incredibly wary of any breeder you may come across that sells liver nosed BBs. A BB bred by a less than reputable breeder can be a ticking time bomb down the track and not something you want to chance.

Do a bit of research (I believe there is a BB thread in the breed sub forums?) and find a good, reputable breeder that breeds from healthy, happy, health tested stock. That way, regardless of colour your carefully selected BB will give you years of love. :)

Just for info..

"The "Dudley" dates back to 1877 to a magnificent under 50 pounds specimen named Lord Dudley, who had this liver coloured pigmentation of the nose and lips. The fault was not outlawed at the time and the dog was much used at stud, transmitting the fault to his progeny. Some strains show this faulty coloration of the nose and lips much more that do other strains, but "dudleys" may result from any breeding. It should be stressed that dudleys are disqualififed from competition.

This is taken from an American book on the blueprint of the standard.

Dudley is classed as a dilute pigmentation and in the Australian standard under no circumstances should it be liver coloured or brown.

I picked my dog because she had a crooked ear, makes her look real cute. If that's what you want and it makes you luv the dog more , keep looking, but I don't think you will ge t much help here.

I picked my dog because she had a crooked ear, makes her look real cute. If that's what you want and it makes you luv the dog more , keep looking, but I don't think you will ge t much help here.

Huh? :confused:

There is plenty of help on these forums! In the first reply the OP was advised of three different British Bulldog breeders they could approach. They have also now learnt that liver is not a desirable colour and not allowed in the show ring, and they have been given reasons as to WHY this is. On DOL we promote responsible and registered breeders ALWAYS with NO EXCEPTIONS so no one here is going to pipe up and say "Ohh so and so breeds for livers, only $5k a pup!"

Just because someone may not get the exact answer they were hoping for does NOT mean they have not been helped.

Edited by cassie

Huh? :confused:

There is plenty of help on these forums! In the first reply the OP was advised of three different British Bulldog breeders they could approach. They have also now learnt that liver is not a desirable colour and not allowed in the show ring, and they have been given reasons as to WHY this is. On DOL we promote responsible and registered breeders ALWAYS with NO EXCEPTIONS so no one here is going to pipe up and say "Ohh so and so breeds for livers, only $5k a pup!"

Just because someone may not get the exact answer they were hoping for does NOT mean they have not been helped.

My apologies, I thought ellan was being lectured, but she was being helped. maybe she could have gotten a defective dog with the wrong coloured nose from a breeder without papers or are they put to sleep.

Just for info..

"The "Dudley" dates back to 1877 to a magnificent under 50 pounds specimen named Lord Dudley, who had this liver coloured pigmentation of the nose and lips. The fault was not outlawed at the time and the dog was much used at stud, transmitting the fault to his progeny. Some strains show this faulty coloration of the nose and lips much more that do other strains, but "dudleys" may result from any breeding. It should be stressed that dudleys are disqualififed from competition.

Dudley is classed as a dilute pigmentation and in the Australian standard under no circumstances should it be liver coloured or brown.

Ah. I had no idea. So Dudley and liver/brown are different things? I stand corrected. :)

Just for info..

Ah. I had no idea. So Dudley and liver/brown are different things? I stand corrected. :)

No you are right - Dudley and liver are the same thing, there is a word missing in Bullbreedlovers post - it should say "Under no circumstances should the nose be liver colored or brown"