Help Stop The Hysteria

huski

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd pop this in General rather than just in the training forum so more people could see it.

For those of you who haven't seen it, there was an article run in the Sunday Mail newspaper here in QLD a few days ago:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/dog-lovers-call-for-ban-on-cruel-torture-collars-used-by-raaf-and-others/story-e6freoof-1226105028956

A QLD dog trainer is trying to get prong collars banned here in Australia, despite the fact there is no evidence supporting the claims she is making about the tool.

We've created a Facebook page in order to have a place to bust the myths about prong collars and have everyone share pics and stories of how beneficial the tool can be when it's used properly. Even if you don't use prong collars yourself (I don't use them on my dogs) the bigger picture is preventing what happened in Victoria from happening anywhere else. We can't allow the RSPCA and a group of vocal, anti-prong collar people to ban a tool when there is no evidence that the tool actually causes harm.

So if you'd like to get on board and support the use of prong collars, head over here and like the page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-the-Hysteria-Support-the-Use-of-Prong-Collars-in-Australia/256063094421315

Edited by huski

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work on creating the page Bec and K9 Pro team :thumbsup:. I believe it is about educating people on the correct use of Prong and other training collars. Education is the key. It's sad that the people who want to ban these collars seem to believe that those of us who are in support of them are 'uneducated' or 'cruel/ don't love our dogs' etc. I know several people who use a prong and not one of them is cruel (and they all love their dogs too :)).

Personly I don't support the use of prong collars in any way.

That's ok, the group is for people who do support the use of prong collars, you don't have to join :) (or use them - the beauty of choice, unless you live in Victoria where you don't have any)

I don't use prong collars on my dogs but I believe the choice to use them should be available. I'm not a fan of tools like head collars, but I don't believe ANY tool should be banned - it's a slippery slope IMO and we should be focusing not on banning a tool but proper education on how, why and when to use them.

Edited by huski

That's ok, the group is for people who do support the use of prong collars, you don't have to join :) (or use them - the beauty of choice, unless you live in Victoria where you don't have any)

I don't use prong collars on my dogs but I believe the choice to use them should be available. I'm not a fan of tools like head collars, but I don't believe ANY tool should be banned - it's a slippery slope IMO and we should be focusing not on banning a tool but proper education on how, why and when to use them.

Great words Bec. :thumbsup:

Education on the proper use of any training tool should be undertaken before you put any type of collar or lead on your dog.

But sadly it is the uneducated that seem to scream the loudest only because the rest of us have done the research and learnt how humane pinch collars are.

Educate Don't Prohibitate. ;)

Education on the proper use of any training tool should be undertaken before you put any type of collar or lead on your dog.

But sadly it is the uneducated that seem to scream the loudest only because the rest of us have done the research and learnt how humane pinch collars are.

YES!!! Exactly, we need to bring caning back too, used properly extreme pain is a most efficient teaching tool. :thumbsup:

YES!!! Exactly, we need to bring caning back too, used properly extreme pain is a most efficient teaching tool. :thumbsup:

Extreme pain what a load of codswallop and yes I agree bring back caning there was a lot less disrespect in schools when it could be used. If you miss behaved and got caught you knew what the consecqences of your actions would be.

No-one who uses prong collars properly uses 'extreme pain' as a teaching tool. But I'm sure you knew that ;)

Well actually I consider myself pretty well educated about them and I wouldn't use one. Not something I say much on this forum as it usually results in some unpleasant comments from certain people. Some things I prefer not to discuss on forums - politics, religion and prong collars!

Well actually I consider myself pretty well educated about them and I wouldn't use one. Not something I say much on this forum as it usually results in some unpleasant comments from certain people. Some things I prefer not to discuss on forums - politics, religion and prong collars!

May I ask in the nicest possible way where you got your education regarding pinch collars from?

I personally don't care if peope choose not to use prong collars. I don't use them. It's when they spread misinformation about the tool or the people who use them and try to remove anyone elses choice to use them that I don't think is right.

No-one who uses prong collars properly uses 'extreme pain' as a teaching tool. But I'm sure you knew that ;)

Begs the question - how many are used incorrectly?

How many people use check chains incorrectly? Or head collars? Or martingales? Any tool can be used to abuse a dog, that is a problem with the user not the tool.

The point is not the fact that everyone HAS to use one but professional trainers in particular and working dog people who require them should be allowed the option of using them if required.

Does every dog need one? No. Will everyone come across one in their lives? No. But there are a select few that really do need them. Why should they suffer without them? Enough dogs have had their li.ves spared because these collars have made a difference to NOT have them banned

The point is not the fact that everyone HAS to use one but professional trainers in particular and working dog people who require them should be allowed the option of using them if required.

Does every dog need one? No. Will everyone come across one in their lives? No. But there are a select few that really do need them. Why should they suffer without them? Enough dogs have had their li.ves spared because these collars have made a difference to NOT have them banned

Well Said :clap: :clap: :clap:

Extreme pain what a load of codswallop and yes I agree bring back caning there was a lot less disrespect in schools when it could be used. If you miss behaved and got caught you knew what the consecqences of your actions would be.

I'd be more than happy to see the return of the cane. (Some) kids are so disrespectful now, teachers can't lay a hand on them and they damn well know it. All the teachers are allowed do is re-enforce the good.... Oh hang on, sound familiar?

Much, much less than the hundreds of of other, more easily available tools that are misused every day. There are very few retailers of prong collars here in Australia and I am yet to find ONE who would be willing to sell a prong collar to a client without making sure that client has the knowledge to use it correctly.

And yes, this includes those who sell them over the net. Just because you click the purchase button it does not mean that you are necessarily going to get it.

Does every dog need one? No. Will everyone come across one in their lives? No. But there are a select few that really do need them. Why should they suffer without them? Enough dogs have had their lives spared because these collars have made a difference to NOT have them banned

Yes! This.

Edited by SecretKei

This is all down to again, meddling from people who have no need or no education about this equipment or the type of dog that requires it. And you would think the RSPCA has bigger cruelty issues like, oh, puppy mills and farmers creating pyres of dog carcasses from their unwanted animals then a few prong collars.