Dogs That Live To A Grand Old Age

Baileys mum

My old boy is 21, 22 at the end of this year :) He is a mixed Staffy type boy who came into my life when I was just a kid, so have had the pleasure of growing up with him! He is going great guns at the moment, still chases after his ball albeit a little slower and apart from a couple of removed teeth you would never guess his age. I have friends that I recently caught up with from primary school and one walked into my house and said 'dont tell me thats the exact same dog that stole my maccas burger 15 years ago?!' My answer? Yep, one and the same and given the chance he would still do it now!

Wow another wonderful survivor :thumbsup: & by the sounds of it still going strong, I hope you many more years with him still. :)

Met a Kelpie the other day, she was 19. They just don't live long enough do they.

I agree..we just don't have them long enough. :(

My first kelpie was 18 1/2 yrs when I had to make the "decision", she was still going for 6 km walks up until 2 weeks before having to be pts.

I know of someone who had a dobe until 16 yr old.

That's fantastic Austerra...6 km is fantastic for such an elderly dog, so lovely to hear she was still so active right up till the end. :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for sharing....Dogs IMO just don't live long enough, so it's lovely to hear stories of dogs living to such old ages. :thumbsup:

My oldest dog Jessie (who is a Aussie terrier x JRT) is currently 13.5 YO & still going strong. She is going deaf, but is still very healthy & active,& is still able to keep up with my much younger Pure bred Aussies. :)

I am hoping she sticks around to a grand old age too. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I have three oldsters, Blake a BC is 16, Bob kelpiex,15, and Gilly, Aussie x JRT 11.

All are healthy, Bob has some dementia and Blake has some humungous lumps and athritis from bad diet when young. All three have been known to zooooooom albeit slowly nearly everyday.

Even when its cold!!!

AND all have lovely teeth thanks to the Barf diet.

It is amazing just how long some dogs live for. Just had a friend up from Toowoomba for the Rocky Swap and he was telling us that when they bought their farm they got a little foxy/chihuahua cross and she died at 23 years old. I always thought that Chihuahuas had a very short life span, but this little cross breed certainly lived a long time. My oldest Tibetan Terrier lived until he was just over 16 yrs, and I have another one at the moment who turned 15 a week ago. She is arthritic and partly blind, but is still very much alert.

Our small mixed breed dog lived until just short of 23 yrs.

In appearance, she looked like a cross between a poodle & a tibbie. But she could well have been just from a long line of mixed breeds.

Her name was Tessa & when she got to 13 yrs we thought she was old. We started to call her 'Grandma' & 'Gran', for fun. Little did we know the nickname would stick as she'd live for nearly 10 yrs more. Soon, she'd only answer to Gran or Grandma. I had to phone the Council & ask for her name to be changed on her dog registration....because she hadn't a clue who 'Tessa' was, any more.

Just had our oldest client pass away just before xmas. maltese mix breed she was just over 25. The lady got her as a wedding present so it was always easy to know how old she was.

Blind and deaf but we would stand in front of her and she would sniff my leg and follow me out to the garden where she was happy to wander around by scent.

We also had a GSD who was just over 18 when she died, a few border collies who were 16 plus.

xmas 2009 I had 6 veterans staying for the xmas break and the youngest was 15 and the oldest was 23 they would all wander out to a garden together and had a lovely time wandering around and snoozing under the trees - so lovely to watch them all together - we called them 'the knitting club'.

the knitting club... love it :laugh:

I rescued a Sheltie x when she was 10, half her teeth were broken & she had scars on her face..i figured as she may not have too long to live & no one would want her, she could stay with me...she lived to 17 yrs :thumbsup:

My parents Akita was PTS yesterday..she was 15 :rainbowbridge: RIP CUBA

We had to pts my stafford girl in late May this year. She would've been 17 tomorrow and was an active part of this family right till the end.

I wish they lived as long as we did because the longer you have them the longer it takes to accept they are gone.....

Yes their lives are far too short. Who on earth designed 'man's best friend' to have a fraction of the life span of man?

And I don't understand the life span given to some turtles and birds... Why do they need to live for so long while dogs time is short?

Imagine if their life span was swapped and dogs were handed down through generations...

Yes their lives are far too short. Who on earth designed 'man's best friend' to have a fraction of the life span of man?

And I don't understand the life span given to some turtles and birds... Why do they need to live for so long while dogs time is short?

Imagine if their life span was swapped and dogs were handed down through generations...

Yeah it doesn't seem fair that a cockatoo can live to 80 & dogs only live to a fraction of that. :(

Maybe they only have short lives to enable us to own many dogs through our life time rather than just one or two.

My darling old Tammy will be 19 in a couple of months. I adopted her from Canterbury pound not quite 2 years ago thinking she maybe had a few months left at best. We have been blessed with almost 2 years so far and she is showing no signs of going anywhere. No arthritis, she hops straight up of a morning and totters outside to wee, she still eats very well and can outwalk my big boy Rocko. She is deaf but that must be a blessing living here and she has enough sight so as not to bump into things. Given the opportunity she's off into the surf for a swim and absolutely loves going in the car.

She is amazing and I love her bits!!

IMG_7999.jpg

If the girls are mucking around Nana is all over them :laugh:

P1090177.jpg

I also adopted Buddy the Golden Retriever from Renbury recently after his elderly owner had to go into assisted living and couldnt take him, that must be so horrible :(

Buddy turned 13 on August 1 :thumbsup: So we have a Nana and a Pa now :laugh:

P1090010-1.jpg

My darling old Tammy will be 19 in a couple of months. I adopted her from Canterbury pound not quite 2 years ago thinking she maybe had a few months left at best. We have been blessed with almost 2 years so far and she is showing no signs of going anywhere. No arthritis, she hops straight up of a morning and totters outside to wee, she still eats very well and can outwalk my big boy Rocko. She is deaf but that must be a blessing living here and she has enough sight so as not to bump into things. Given the opportunity she's off into the surf for a swim and absolutely loves going in the car.

She is amazing and I love her bits!!

P1090010-1.jpg

Ah, bless!

Fabulous thread - just adore the oldies. My Mac is 12 on Saturday - and the vet said this afternoon that his precautionary blood test yesterday was 'perfect' - so apart from his early canine dementia which appears to be pretty stable, he's a very healthy old man - so I hope I have many more years with him.

Sheridan great to hear of the gorgeous Grumps - I had no idea he was 15!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I received an email enquiry the other day from a lady looking for an Aussie terrier puppy.

She said in her email that her previous Aussie lived to the grand old age of 23...I have a friend that had an Aussie live to 19,which is fantastic, but 23 is so amazing!! :thumbsup:

I thought it would be interesting to know from other Dolers if you know of a dog that lived to a grand old age, how old did it live to? what breed it was? & what the average life span of that breed usually is?

Aussie terrier life span is usually 12 to 15, so for one to live to 23 is a real survivor. :)

My aunties Aussie Terrier just passed away beginning of the year, and he was over 20 - what a grand old man he was, and of all things, a paralysis tick took him :(

My parents little dog - chi x, is 16 this year, and apart from being blind, she's really quite healthy!!

I really have a soft spot for the oldies :)