Dogs Maul Lambs

D_mentias

...short of not letting her out to relieve herself near full moon at night I have never came up with the solution.

Leash.

Not easy being disabled..but she will have a long rope on her from tonight if she wishes to go out...

For those of you who don't like building fences, opening and closing gates ect...I have one of those invisible dog containment systems. I am very pleased with it....cost me around $800 but it does up to 5 acres , imagine the costs involved in fencing an area of that size, this is way cheaper and if you are renting you can take it with you to the next place. .

For those of you who don't like building fences, opening and closing gates ect...I have one of those invisible dog containment systems. I am very pleased with it....cost me around $800 but it does up to 5 acres , imagine the costs involved in fencing an area of that size, this is way cheaper and if you are renting you can take it with you to the next place. .

I spent over $15K on fencing and gates, and about the same again on kennel runs. I am quite happy to open and close gates, but the tricky part is when others can't leave things as they find them.

I don't like the invisible dog containment systems because they don't keep other critters including dogs out, and sighthounds often run through them when in high prey drive only to find they can't return home. I would not recommend them for all breeds.

Our meter reader left a padlock and two keys which is padlocked on one end of the gate chain and our padlock . He can get in and we don't have to be there.

Hmm, that sounds good Rozzie, I might give them a call. Wonder if the gas and septic people would do the same.

No brain today, obviously wouldn't work with more than one service provider unless we supplied the lock and key.

Years ago I used to help our local Lands & Survey block in NZ at lambing time. If you have never seen sheep attacked/killed by dogs you would have no idea of the horror. I love dogs but would have no hesitation in shooting if caught in the act. I cannot believe that dog owners who live in the country would not have their dogs penned or securely contained when not with them. It is a natural instinct to chase prey for most dogs and not neccessarily to kill hence we used to see horrific injuries which led to the sheep being put down anyway. All dogs, irrespective of where you live, should be contained when not supervised.

...short of not letting her out to relieve herself near full moon at night I have never came up with the solution.

Leash.

Not easy being disabled..but she will have a long rope on her from tonight if she wishes to go out...

Fair enough. Perhaps a long line/rope that you could tether to something solid either just inside or just outside the door and clip her on before letting her out then.:)

D mentias, you could get a long chain that is permanently attached to something secure by your back door. Then keep the end of the chain close so that you only have to open the door and grab it to clip onto her collar. You can then just leave her out there for as long as she wants to have a sniff and a wee but she wont go any further and you dont have to wait outside shivering until she's done her thing.

...and you may have to train her to toilet on a long leash etc. Some dogs don't /won't at first.

I suggest a long length of the plastic coated cable you can buy at mitre 10 type shops :) .. it is very light - almost unbreakable ..and if you get someone strong and knot- smart to attach a swivel snap hook to each end ..you have a very useful piece of equipment :) I use a couple of these setups ... I can clip one end to a belt/rope around my middle , too :)