Advice On Adopting Greyhound Or Whippet?

Lugeanjaam

Just after some advice from people in the know. First let me apologise in advance for the long post!

I have been seriously considering and researching adopting a rescue Greyhound or Whippet. All my research has put both of these breeds on the top of my list. A little background on our family to help in the process.

We are a family who live in Brisbane with 3 children aged 15, 13 and 2 1/2. My youngest is very dog savvy and respectful of all animals (always supervised of course) but obviously the dog would need to be child friendly. We also have a 4 year old desexed Shih Tzu cross Suki. Suki is a relatively low energy girl who enjoys the occasional play but would much rather be stretched out on the couch or at my feet. Part of my consideration is ourn next dog matching Suki's temperament as I do not think she would cope with a high energy dog. Suki enjoys the company of other dogs but she always needs some time to meet and greet. She may show some initial standoffish type behaviour after which she is their best mate.

I do work from home though as I do family day care I will not be with the dog 24/7. As policy dicatates that dogs cannot be around the day care children Suki stays upstairs during the day with full access to the house and front deck. During the childrens nap time I come upstairs and spend time with her. She is very happy with this arrangement so our next dog would also need to be ok not having constant human companionship during work hours. We have a walk every afternoon and the weekends are spent at the kids sporting events in which Suki and our new pet joins in on.

Last of all I have been a dog person my whole life having always owned dogs large and small, but never these breeds. Any advice you can give on whether Greys or Whippets would enjoy this type of environment would be great. Also if you know of any potential dogs that require adoption it would be much appreciated. We are attending the EKKA this weekend to have a look at some of the Greys that require adoption. Gender is not important, neither is age or colour.

Edited by sujo

Hello, you are right Greys and Whippets make fantastic pets.

I haven't owned a Grey so will only refer to Whippets.

Whippets like to run and go fast but for a short time. The rest of the time they are quite happy to lay around or just wander after you. A young WHippet pup may be a little full for your otehr girl as even though they are not really full on and hyper they will jump on and potentially annoy a smaller quieter dog. An adult may be more what you are after.

I have a 5 yo and a 3 yo and they are great with the dogs, the dogs are gret with them, so in general I would say that Whippets are a good dog to have around kids, but as you would already know it takes training on the kids and dogs parts to make sure that the friendship stays a happy one.

I got an 8wo Whippet puppy when I had a 5mo and a 2yo and whilst I used a puppy pen from time to time she really was one of the easiest puppies I have had.

They do not jump ont he kids as it has never been encouraged or allowed, but will jump on me as I invite them to, and Rommi will jump a little on visitors as unfortunately even when I ask people to tell her to get down the ususal response is oh she is alright - very frustrating!!!

Whippets do like company but if the Whippet is confined to part of the house and you go and spend time with them during the day I don't think that would be much of an issue. Keep in mind young Whippets do like to chew and are very powerful chewers for thei size, so one again an older dog may be more suitable.

Whippets love comapnay and love being inside with you. You have all that covered so I think that as long as temperment is matched and possibly you get an older dog then it should work out just fine. Oh as an observation I have found male Whippets to be sookier and more people focused than the bitches, so that may be something to think about as well. They are a little bigger though.

Hope that helps :)

Just after some advice from people in the know. First let me apologise in advance for the long post!

I have been seriously considering and researching adopting a rescue Greyhound or Whippet. All my research has put both of these breeds on the top of my list. A little background on our family to help in the process.

We are a family who live in Brisbane with 3 children aged 15, 13 and 2 1/2. My youngest is very dog savvy and respectful of all animals (always supervised of course) but obviously the dog would need to be child friendly. We also have a 4 year old desexed Shih Tzu cross Suki. Suki is a relatively low energy girl who enjoys the occasional play but would much rather be stretched out on the couch or at my feet. Part of my consideration is ourn next dog matching Suki's temperament as I do not think she would cope with a high energy dog. Suki enjoys the company of other dogs but she always needs some time to meet and greet. She may show some initial standoffish type behaviour after which she is their best mate.

I do work from home though as I do family day care I will not be with the dog 24/7. As policy dicatates that dogs cannot be around the day care children Suki stays upstairs during the day with full access to the house and front deck. During the childrens nap time I come upstairs and spend time with her. She is very happy with this arrangement so our next dog would also need to be ok not having constant human companionship during work hours. We have a walk every afternoon and the weekends are spent at the kids sporting events in which Suki and our new pet joins in on.

Last of all I have been a dog person my whole life having always owned dogs large and small, but never these breeds. Any advice you can give on whether Greys or Whippets would enjoy this type of environment would be great. Also if you know of any potential dogs that require adoption it would be much appreciated. We are attending the EKKA this weekend to have a look at some of the Greys that require adoption. Gender is not important, neither is age or colour.

Thank you! All the above was very helpful. I am very interested in Whippets for several reasons but mainly as I thought their size may suit my girl more than a Grey, though I was also concerned that they may be too 'fragile' with a young family, but you obviously proved that it is very possible with a respectful child. In saying that Grey's are so beautifully regal! From my research it seems that both breeds tend to feel the cold. Do you find they need to wear their coats only at night, or pretty much all of the time during winter? Also would it be correct to say that they have zero to low doggy odour and shedding? I know that it can differ from dog to dog but is this generally correct?

We have a rescue greyhound, and what OSoSwift said about whippets, is pretty much a greyhound! A grey is obviously bigger, so that may be an issue, but their (the one's I've met) nature is very soft.

We adopted our's as he was race trained and was too slow, so he was very well trained when we got him. He is meek and mild in many ways, so could do with a bit of "oomph" sometimes, but others I have met are bit more out there. We fostered one that was a bit wilder than Harry, but still a very good dog, and very easy.

Just go and meet a few, and the rescue organisation will help with matching the personality of the dog to your circumstances.

I highly recommend them as an easy dog to live with, and they can be very entertaining and clownish!! :thumbsup:

I have two rescue greyhounds and they are the most beautiful dogs.I had had nothing to do with this breed before until a friend of mine on DOL rang me and asked me if I would foster.My first big blue boy came to me one year ago and I knew in the first 24 hours he was staying for good.I fostered 6 more and then my little Maddie came along and Stan absolutely loved her so I adopted her as well.Not all greys are huge.Stan is of average height for a grey and weighs 34kg.Maddie is a small fine girl weighing in at only 24kg.The have almost zero doggie odour.I rarely bath mine only if they decide to roll in something.They are low shedding,I notice Maddie's fur more only because she is white.If you go through a reputable rescue group they will match a grey to your needs.They do not require a lot of exersise and are the ultimate couch potato.They do require a coat in cold weather as they dont have much body fat and fine coat.I'm glad you are considering a grey,they are so loving and make excellent pets. :)

Greyhounds are fantastic pets and a good rescue organisation will match the right dog to your family and give lots of back up. Send Shantiah a personal message on here as she will be at Ekka with all her greys, both show and race bred.

Your dog would only need a coat on during the night. I live in a lot colder climate than yours and mine rarely have a coat on during the day if inside.

Good luck choosing :D

Thank you to everyone who gave their time to help out with my questions. I am very excited about the prospect of one of these beautiful breeds joining our family and I feel we are now one step closer as they sound like the ideal new member of our family :). Now on to the fun part - finding our new best friend! :thumbsup:

Whippets are not fragile to have around kids and to have a good play, but they can be a little fragile in the sense that if they run into something they may end up with a large wound instead of something minor. Both Greys and Whippets have thinner skin that tears more easily. Mine have some injuries from crashing into each other at high speed, but now if they start going silly it is brought under control quickly and we have been injury free for some time. Mainly the things they do it sprain toes.

They do not smell, mine are bathed when I feel like it, they have rolled in something stinky or they have been swimming at the beach or something. As I have a parti-colour I do tend to wash them a little more often as I like the look of nice sparkly whites. Having said that they go for weeks to months between baths.

They do lose a little coat when changing it, but you certainly don't notice hair everywhere. We have a leather lounge so really don't notice much on there. I do notice the odd hair or so after they have been siting on me (daily and often occurance!) I give my a good go over with a zoom groom and then I can forget about it. Sometimes they need to be done once a week at the change of season.

Theya re also fairly quiet. Rommi will roo roo when happy and talk, she will be a bit vocal with yips and barks when playing but that is about it. They don't bark because they like the sound of their own voice. Lewis has barked 4 times in the time I have had him and all when very excited by balls, bunnies etc.

Sujo, are you SURE you can't have one of each?? You could save a greyhound AND have a whippet. ;)

I love sighthounds (used to have borzoi) but now have GSDs. A LOT more work and not quite the

gentle nature that sighthounds have. . . . . I do miss them.

i don't envy you your choice. . . it's a hard one!!

Good Luck

Cairo1 :wave:

Possibly a bit off topic, but the OP raised it:

"During the childrens nap time I come upstairs and spend time with her."

OMG........Priorities?

(Don't flame me: Remember it's not her own children asleep downstairs, she's being paid as a carer.)

Edited by Whippetsmum

OMG........Priorities?

(Don't flame me: Remember it's not her own children asleep downstairs, she's being paid as a carer.)

Do you generally stay in the same room as a sleeping child? I never did.

I have to say that is a bit over the top, dare I say it I hung washing out, trained dogs etc. When they were very little I had a monitor- quite likely they have one as well - and she is up stairs, A child that wakes up will be heard.

For Goodness sake. I am not sure if you had kids but amazingly they are more than happy even if you have to leave them while they are sleeping to have a shower or go to the toilet. Is this person expected to sit outside the door incase someone moans too loud?

OMG........Priorities?

Picky much. You've made about a dozen assumptions about how things are set up, including if she has an assistant, how safely confined the children are, what they are sleeping in etc etc. Why not make just ONE assumption, that is, she's fulfilling her duty of care, and offer some advice on her choice of dog.

There's always one! :mad

Edited by Akay

OMG........Priorities?

No its a valid question. Questions like these do not bother me, it is part of my job to be accountable.

I have child monitor in the bedroom which includes a video monitor which I carry with me at all times during their nap. I can pretty much hear them turning over in their sleep! Obviously my home is secure and I really cannot sit outside the bedroom until they wake. Yes I am paid as a carer and I am very aware of safety and I take all precautions at all times. Also when I say upstairs it is 4 steps to the upper level, I guess I wasnt really clear.

Suki stays upstairs during the day with full access to the house and front deck.

I'm just wondering if your deck is an upstairs deck? If so, it would have to be fully enclosed or have a very high rail incase the whippet or grey decided to jump off.

My opinion is you can't go wrong with either a greyhound or a whippet, they're the best two breeds out there. (I might be biased though!! :o )

Good Luck!

Sujo, are you SURE you can't have one of each?? You could save a greyhound AND have a whippet. ;)

I love sighthounds (used to have borzoi) but now have GSDs. A LOT more work and not quite the

gentle nature that sighthounds have. . . . . I do miss them.

i don't envy you your choice. . . it's a hard one!!

Good Luck

Cairo1 :wave:

Dont tempt me! I have seriously considered it but already having one dog and with council restrictions to 2 dog households (without paying extra registration fees etc) I have to make a hard decision. I am getting the feeling that it will probably end up coming down to meeting the perfect dog, rather than choosing between the breeds specifically. I will keep an open mind and heart to both and I know the right one will come our way.

Suki stays upstairs during the day with full access to the house and front deck.

I'm just wondering if your deck is an upstairs deck? If so, it would have to be fully enclosed or have a very high rail incase the whippet or grey decided to jump off.

My opinion is you can't go wrong with either a greyhound or a whippet, they're the best two breeds out there. (I might be biased though!! :o )

Good Luck!

Yes it is an upstairs deck, with about 4 foot railings, would this be sufficient? Having access to the deck is optional really, it is just nice for them to lie in the sunshine.

How far is it to the ground? Do you mean it's at the roof height of a normal one story roof?

If so, I wouldn't be comfortable letting my dog loose on the deck? Just too risky.

I know of a whippet that jumped from a second story window and broke his leg on landing.

They're not breeds known for jumping, but some still do.

As nice as it would be for them to lie in the sunshine, it's safer inside IMO. :)

How far is it to the ground? Do you mean it's at the roof height of a normal one story roof?

If so, I wouldn't be comfortable letting my dog loose on the deck? Just too risky.

I know of a whippet that jumped from a second story window and broke his leg on landing.

They're not breeds known for jumping, but some still do.

As nice as it would be for them to lie in the sunshine, it's safer inside IMO. :)

Advice taken on board, thank you!

Edited by sujo