When To Switch To Adult Kibble?

I was reading up on weight guides for Golden Retrievers and came across a thread about what food to feed them (puppy or adult). I read that most switch them earlier to prevent them from growing too quickly. I am now quite worried that I have done damage to her :( She is 6 months 2 weeks old and still on puppy food. I did my research before we got her but all of a sudden she is 6 months old and I had forgotten. I really hope I haven't caused her any harm :(

What does everyone else think?

My bitch is 20 months old and still on puppy food, we did wean her onto adult food just before she turned 1 but she dropped weight and we struggled to keep it on her (did try different brands over time) and so she is still on puppy and her weight is where it should be.

Sorry not much help!

nadine, from what i understand, pups as young as 9 months old can be fed an adult food, as long as it's a good quality product! if that's your concern, then you need to make further enquiries as to what you should feed your dog :)

My bitch is 20 months old and still on puppy food, we did wean her onto adult food just before she turned 1 but she dropped weight and we struggled to keep it on her (did try different brands over time) and so she is still on puppy and her weight is where it should be.

Sorry not much help!

you should speak with your vet or a dog nutritionist --- a 20 m/o dog still on puppy food dropping weight on an adult diet doesn't sound right to me...

We have been to 3 different vets and her diet is balanced and correct, even when weaned onto adult food.

She is in good condition and healthy so where not going to change anything.

She might be healthy now but it may not be good for her in the long run, if it was fine for adults to eat puppy food they wouldnt bother making puppy and adult there would just be one food imo.

My latest golden puppy has been on Adult food since he was brought home.... there CAN be issues associated with raising golden puppies on puppy food - some lines more so than others. Nadine I don't think you would of done any damage to your little girl, at 6 months it's likely that you of noticed something by now.

What puppy food is she on?

I for one will NEVER raise a golden puppy on puppy food again.

I tried to change Lexi over to adult food at 10 months...and had to change her back! regardless how much I fed her she wouldn't maintain weight, but as soon as I put her back on a mix of the two she was fine, now at 20 months she is still on the mix, but as soon as I'm through the RC I have Ill be putting her on Black Hawk, hopefully she will maintain her weight this time round lol