Can A Dog's Limb Fall Asleep?

Hi all

I've noticed just recently that when my pup gets up from a long sleep, she sometimes limps a little - like one of her legs has fallen asleep - is this possible?

After about a minute of walking around her movement is fine and I haven't seen the limp at any other time.

Hi all

I've noticed just recently that when my pup gets up from a long sleep, she sometimes limps a little - like one of her legs has fallen asleep - is this possible?

After about a minute of walking around her movement is fine and I haven't seen the limp at any other time.

If puppy is asleep the legs belonging to the puppy will also be asleep :D

But seriously:

Your puppy might sleep in a position restricting blood supply to her leg/s.

Stonecutter - try getting the dog looked at by a good physio or chiro. I don't want to alarm you when there might be nothing the matter but that is all the signs my young BC would show. I dismissed it and just presumed it wasn't really anything but was told its not normal for a young dog to show any signs of being sore or stiff when they first wake up - no matter how quickly they warm out of it. Least so I was told.

Thanks all!

After only seeing it after she woke up from a long nap, I saw it again today after a play session in the backyard where she was chasing a ball. Afterwards she was definitely limping and staying off her left front leg/paw.

We'll be off to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out.

good luck stonecutter --- i really hope the prognosis is good :)

I've seen Orbit wake up and have a dead arm or leg. One time he was in such a hurry to get up but his leg clearly wasn't working and he had a bit of a stack :laugh:

despite this being a serious discussion *laughed out really loud*

Home from the vet - after a thorough check there doesn't seem to be any bone or tendon damage - just a soft tissue injury. So no long walks (we ususally do a 20 minute walk in the morning and 35 minutes in the evening, on both footpaths and grassed areas) - she doesn't need to be crated but is on something similar to neurofen for dogs.

They said to give her one table of the anti-inflammatory for 4 days, if she's still limping then we'll need to bring her in for an x-ray.

I have no idea how it happened - she runs like crazy in the backyard - sometimes playing fetch she actually bowls herself over :laugh:

I certainly would not be giving my dog any pain killers and still allowing zoomies.

This is when dogs that should be feeling pain to stop themselves from further injury do not, and end up doing further damage. Anti inflams is one thing, (though not a fan of those either, but for personal reasons), but masking pain when pain is a vital tool to indicate to a dog to take it easy is another.

Vet may not have recommended crating her, but I would be or certainly dping every thing I can to keep quiet.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

I would be recommending Bowen, Myo, Chiro... not vet. But then I do not do vet for lameness.