Halti Training

ive used a check chain when walking mostly with my german shep but she is too strong for me and the check chain doesnt really help. i find i am trying to check but its not working as she is pulling that much.

ive started using a halti and it is amazing how different she is when using it. she still pulls occassionally to get to a nice smelly spot but i am able to control her way better than with a check chain.

i was wondering if there was such a thing as an obedience club that uses haltis and if so are there any in melbourne?

i havent been to obedience for a while but was going to a great one in diamond creek but i just find it so hard with the check chain. i also have a bad knee which is hard when trying to check her too. if halti obedience doesnt exist then i will just have to persevere but i was just curious.

I would think there would certainly be clubs around that would allow you to train on a halti as more clubs are not allowing the use of check chains. At higher levels or for competition (if you plan to do that) you would need to consider how you want to wean off the halti as you cannot use one in competition and some clubs may want them off for promotion to the higher classes.

I am sure someone will give you names of clubs :)

I would think there would certainly be clubs around that would allow you to train on a halti as more clubs are not allowing the use of check chains. At higher levels or for competition (if you plan to do that) you would need to consider how you want to wean off the halti as you cannot use one in competition and some clubs may want them off for promotion to the higher classes.

I am sure someone will give you names of clubs :)

well hopefully after a while of training with the halti it wont be so hard on the check chain. once she learns walking loose lead is the way to go! im not going to be doing any competitions.

have you been shown how to use a check chain properly? A correction should have nothing to do with your knee at all if used in the correct manner.

yep know how to use one properly. she just keeps pulling on it regardless and thats why my knee suffers. with the halti she hardly pulls at all, i can walk loose lead 90% of the time. i have nothing against check chains they have worked with our fmaily dogs, but this time i needed something different haha.

There are many places who encourage haltis and even more who while they may not encourage them, permit their use at training. Are you sure the obedience club you were going to would not allow you to use a halti?

I bought a halti for my BC girl to stop her pulling & I used it with a second lead attached to her collar & used them like double reins on a horse...the halti only came into play when she pulled. I havn't used it now for a long time, as she is good just on the collar unless very stimulated. There is a better one out now which works from the back of the head & is supposed to be a lot kinder & effective.

I love Hugo's halti :love: It was instantly effective, very nice, but the problems reoccurred when I took the halti off so I am endeavouring to train him to walk by my side using a clicker. So far after a couple of hard weeks of work, we've progressed to loose leash walking with pulling only when there's another dog on the horizon and I'm pretty happy with that. :thumbsup:

I bought a halti for my BC girl to stop her pulling & I used it with a second lead attached to her collar & used them like double reins on a horse...the halti only came into play when she pulled. I havn't used it now for a long time, as she is good just on the collar unless very stimulated. There is a better one out now which works from the back of the head & is supposed to be a lot kinder & effective.

thats a good idea i might give that a shot next time with the two leads and see how it goes after a while. :)

I love Hugo's halti :love: It was instantly effective, very nice, but the problems reoccurred when I took the halti off so I am endeavouring to train him to walk by my side using a clicker. So far after a couple of hard weeks of work, we've progressed to loose leash walking with pulling only when there's another dog on the horizon and I'm pretty happy with that. :thumbsup:

haven't thought of a clicker, but love the halti so going to keep giving it a go for the time being. will try the two lead thing and see if i can slowly walk her loose without the halti after time. if not ill have to try something else!

There are many places who encourage haltis and even more who while they may not encourage them, permit their use at training. Are you sure the obedience club you were going to would not allow you to use a halti?

im pretty sure they wouldnt. plus im not staying near there anymore and moving soon so it will be too far to go to anyway.

This is what is used in the new class Roy has started - works really well.

The reason the dog is pulling on the leash is not becuase he has wrong tooling on his neck, is becuase hes not being teached how to walk properly. Tooling is to help training procedure, is not for making the dog walk nice on the automatic. People thinking the dog pulls becuase they using the wrong tooling is bull, the dog pulls becuase hes not being teached to walking nicely, see!.

Firstly you needing procedeure for the training how you going to teach the dog, then you choose the tooling, maybe piece of rope is good, tooling is 10% of the importance, 90% of the importance is in the training procedure, yes!.

The idea for the dog walking is to enjoy being with the handler for the best fun so you play the game for changing direction as soon as the dog he loose focus on you, change direction and the tooling corrects the dog on the collar. When the dog follows the handler in the heel positioning, you praise the dog give him a treat maybe is good. The dog he learn this very qick is best to stay with the handler on the loose leash. You not needing special collar for this work, just something to restrain the dog and give him bit of a jerk thats it! Is no good buying different toolings to manage wrong behavior becuase the dog wont be learning, is all about teaching the dog a system how you want him to behaving on the walking.

People thinking "ahhh" my dog is not behaving on the leash I needing new tooling, NO, you needing new training procedure is whats wrong on my opnion.

Joe

Edited by JoeK

The reason the dog is pulling on the leash is not becuase he has wrong tooling on his neck, is becuase hes not being teached how to walk properly. Tooling is to help training procedure, is not for making the dog walk nice on the automatic. People thinking the dog pulls becuase they using the wrong tooling is bull, the dog pulls becuase hes not being teached to walking nicely, see!.

Firstly you needing procedeure for the training how you going to teach the dog, then you choose the tooling, maybe piece of rope is good, tooling is 10% of the importance, 90% of the importance is in the training procedure, yes!.

The idea for the dog walking is to enjoy being with the handler for the best fun so you play the game for changing direction as soon as the dog he loose focus on you, change direction and the tooling corrects the dog on the collar. When the dog follows the handler in the heel positioning, you praise the dog give him a treat maybe is good. The dog he learn this very qick is best to stay with the handler on the loose leash. You not needing special collar for this work, just something to restrain the dog and give him bit of a jerk thats it! Is no good buying different toolings to manage wrong behavior becuase the dog wont be learning, is all about teaching the dog a system how you want him to behaving on the walking.

Joe

yes it is about consistency and sticking to the way you want to train. and yes 'tooling' is to help train, and that is why i needed to find the harness/whatever that allowed me to handle her in a way that i could teach her. not all dogs are easily trained with just a bit of rope. you need to find what works best for yourself and your dog. in this case it is a harness for myself and my dog. its no use if she is pulling so hard. also i dont want her to be in a heel position, i am aiming for loose lead, i dont care if she is right by my side or not.

thankyou for your opinion but i was asking where there might be halti training - not why my dog is pulling.

Joe

yes it is about consistency and sticking to the way you want to train. and yes 'tooling' is to help train, and that is why i needed to find the harness/whatever that allowed me to handle her in a way that i could teach her. not all dogs are easily trained with just a bit of rope. you need to find what works best for yourself and your dog. in this case it is a harness for myself and my dog. its no use if she is pulling so hard. also i dont want her to be in a heel position, i am aiming for loose lead, i dont care if she is right by my side or not.

thankyou for your opinion but i was asking where there might be halti training - not why my dog is pulling.

You are better off hiring a trainer who will use a prong collar, anybody training Shepherd Dogs on the halti is telling you to find somebody who nose what they are doing, just my opinion if you want good walking behavior on the dog there is better way than finding halti club to help you.

Joe

Joe

You are better off hiring a trainer who will use a prong collar, anybody training Shepherd Dogs on the halti is telling you to find somebody who nose what they are doing, just my opinion if you want good walking behavior on the dog there is better way than finding halti club to help you.

Joe

most people who have replied have said how they liked the halti and it works well. it may not work for some i know that.

not everyone can afford a their own trainer, and not everyone would like to use a prong collar.

the reason i was looking for a halti club is just so i can use the halti and do regular training with it.

also i dont really understand how you are now telling me to hire a trainer who will use a prong collar, when previously you said a rope would do!

i am looking into clubs on my own now and i will find what is right for myself. thanks for your opinion.