Heelwork To Music

Kallistar I think they would only take offense if you used a prop which was a gun. I am just hoping I have a dog that I can trial come the first comp of the year :(. Now on top of the shoulder issue Kenz is facing possible surgery for a grade 2 medial luxating patella (well when I can afford it). Somebody doesn't really want to be doing anything other than rehab for the rest of her life.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok need some advice.. John Farnham's You're the Voice has the line - looking down the barrel of a gun.. would the judges take offence to that line? Am trying different songs of John's to my routine to.

My novice HTM is coming along nicely and Tux is learning some new spins as we will not be doing leg weaves. Learning to handle our prop( flowers) has been interesting cause if I don't change hands with them it throws Tux out for his heeling positions.

As a DWD judge I would have no problem with this song, so go for it :D

Ok need some advice.. John Farnham's You're the Voice has the line - looking down the barrel of a gun.. would the judges take offence to that line? Am trying different songs of John's to my routine to.

My novice HTM is coming along nicely and Tux is learning some new spins as we will not be doing leg weaves. Learning to handle our prop( flowers) has been interesting cause if I don't change hands with them it throws Tux out for his heeling positions.

As a DWD judge I would have no problem with this song, so go for it :D

Thanks BC4Me and Ness for replying to my question. Now I have more opitions for a John routine. Ballarat's trial is coming up too quickly now.

• 2 weeks later...

How is every one going with their DWD routines? Mine is coming along ok. Ballarat's DWD comp entries closes on the 7th March. So hoping that the weather cools down by then as I am so over this hot weather. Can't practise my routine when it is this hot.

My advanced freestyle routine is still on the back burner, have had too many things happening at home to even think about DWD lately. I have got as far as editing the music & working out some of the moves, but that's all I've got.

:eek: Yes - Ballarat is coming up fast. Hmmm - think I have my HTM music for both - and worked on the choreog for that today (club testing was cancelled because of the heat, so had a bit of time) - FS - hmmm - think I have music - but only very sketchy ideas - I am so very uncreative. Thank goodness it's just Starters.

And yes - please let the weather cool down a bit - but not be too wet either :D

Mrs D - I can't even begin to imagine how you work oiut Advanced routines - but I reckon it'll be great.

:eek: Yes - Ballarat is coming up fast. Hmmm - think I have my HTM music for both - and worked on the choreog for that today (club testing was cancelled because of the heat, so had a bit of time) - FS - hmmm - think I have music - but only very sketchy ideas - I am so very uncreative. Thank goodness it's just Starters.

And yes - please let the weather cool down a bit - but not be too wet either :D

Mrs D - I can't even begin to imagine how you work oiut Advanced routines - but I reckon it'll be great.

Tassie, yes Ballarat is only 3 weeks away. And I agree weather wise, not hot or wet as it is being held outdoors. What bagpipe song will you do?

If you are lucky you might see me do The Little Drummer Boy which is done by the Red Hot Chillie PIPERS. As well as Loch Lomond. Just got to fix the vest up by changing the pure wool to cotton material. Meg has her tarten collar, though I might redo it and make it into a scrunchie type collar. Couldn't really see it the last time.

Haven't got my FS even started yet. Got the music and a few ideas, but that is it.

Mrs D, hope that when you compete in Advance that some one does a recording and you are willing to share it with us.

I have chosen some music for HTM but I still need to shorten it.

I still havent decided on anything for freestyle yet BUT I have been working on training her for it! I used the hype at flyball at canberra this weekend for proofing- if she can do it outside the ring doing it in a quite room should be easy.

Abby can now

heel on right and left

spin both directions infront and beside

wave from a sit and stand beside, infront and at a distance

weave through my legs (new)

duck behind and pup up though my legs (new)

circle around me clockwise

circle around my individual legs

we are working on

reversing through my legs

heeling backwards on my right side

I still need to fix up a third position for HTM- she can go infront of me with her nose towards my right side but doesnt maintain postion very well, she can face me on the right side but not the left. When I try and work on her with them she is getting frustrated and just throwing tricks at me so I think I am going to have to change how I am teaching them- just not sure how just yet :rofl:

I had a read of the Toowoomba Chronicle article on the DWD. Who on earth was the writer ? Whoever it was made the DWD routines sound like frivolous prancing around and that the dogs needed enticing and rewards of treats the whole time to perform.

Very disappointing review in my eyes.

Also, the reference to the first DWD being in Toowoomba, was that the first official competition to be held under ANKC rules ? I am presuming so, as I think WA had their first in December of 2009. But...we have had competitions (unofficial) here years previous to it being recognized as an official ANKC event. We were having comps in 1999 and they were heaps of fun.

@ Kallistar - Kirra's HTM is a medley of Scotland the Brave and Highland Laddie. So looking forward to seeing you and yours - we'll swamp them with pipers LOL

@fetchindawgs - yes, I think the first comp after the discipline became ANKC official - NSW had it going before then, and definitely WA - and Queensland - cabarets at Camp Tailwaggers. And it can be hard to get reporters to take DWD seriously, and appreciate the work that goes into it.

Look at any news feature on dog showing...guess where they focus first?? of course its the Standard Poodle in all his glory and they make fun of it. Next they usually go for the Chinese Crested and then the British Bulldog. Frustrating but very predictable!

The best way to get a decent news story on any dog sport is to write your own and submit. If its any good they will tweek it and send out a photographer. The aim is to make their life easy and you are more likely to have it published with the correct facts :D

I had a read of the Toowoomba Chronicle article on the DWD. Who on earth was the writer ? Whoever it was made the DWD routines sound like frivolous prancing around and that the dogs needed enticing and rewards of treats the whole time to perform.

Very disappointing review in my eyes.

Also, the reference to the first DWD being in Toowoomba, was that the first official competition to be held under ANKC rules ? I am presuming so, as I think WA had their first in December of 2009. But...we have had competitions (unofficial) here years previous to it being recognized as an official ANKC event. We were having comps in 1999 and they were heaps of fun.

Sharon (secretary of DWDQ) was interviewed by the reporter on the day and they totally misquoted what she said, she was quite upset by this.

The first sanctioned DWD competition was held at the Spectacular Petacular here in Brisbane 15th March 2009 it was run by Toowoomba Dog Obedience Club. That is why the reporter got confused when writing the article. What Bedazzled says is right, if want a decent story written right it and submit it. :thumbsup:

Although the article did make DWD sound a little frivolous anytime you get a 1/4 page story on page 2 of any newspaper it's gotta be good for the sport and besides it was my picture they used and I thought it was an awesome shot of me and my boy Chook :laugh: :thumbsup:

Edited by BC4ME

@ Kallistar - Kirra's HTM is a medley of Scotland the Brave and Highland Laddie. So looking forward to seeing you and yours - we'll swamp them with pipers LOL

YAY for Scotland The Brave as that was one of the songs I looked at for Meg, it is just a wee bit too fast for her to maintain. And I can't remember Highland Laddie. And yes we will swamp them with Pipers.

Ballarat's comp is only three weeks away and I still haven't finished my routine

:laugh: I've barely started my FS - and Rory has an obedience trial Sunday, so might leave fiddling with him till after that - don't want to confuse his boy brains :rofl: .

Had to laugh about the speed thing - Kirra likes things to happen FAST. The Highland Laddie is faster ;) .

I'm just doing my entries right now - thinking good grief, what have I done - but the ferry and accommodation are all booked and paid for so I'm committed now :eek: .

:laugh: I've barely started my FS - and Rory has an obedience trial Sunday, so might leave fiddling with him till after that - don't want to confuse his boy brains :rofl: .

Had to laugh about the speed thing - Kirra likes things to happen FAST. The Highland Laddie is faster ;) .

I'm just doing my entries right now - thinking good grief, what have I done - but the ferry and accommodation are all booked and paid for so I'm committed now :eek: .

LOL, I only have the music cut for Tux's freestyle :) Good idea to leave Rory's f/s until after Sunday :) I know what you mean about dogs liking things to happen fast, the youngest member of my furclan loves things fast.

And there are people over here waiting to see you at Ballarat, as I told them you was coming VBG.