Dna Testing

Cosmolo

How do you get a dog DNA tested for breed ID? Can someone point me in the right direction please.

With no prior info? Google BITSA. It doesn't seem very accurate tho.

With some breeding background info, parentage testing is your best option.

(EFS)

Edited by Weasels

there is this story - http://www.australiandogforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=409 (the original link to the story is broken tho)

As far as I can see there are 3 problems with going the DNA route:

1. I've been told they can't tell Amstaffs from APBTs

2. If it's not reliable, you might get a false-positive from the test for APBT

3. There are enough documented cases of wacky results to discredit the results if someone was motivated to.

Depends on what markers they are using and whether the dog has those markers, testing is still in it's infancy and there is so much phenotypic variability between dogs despite and extremely small geneotypic variability.

I guess all you can do is get your dogs tested if they come up as something else keep the paperwork it may come in handy, if they have pit bull markers burn the test and claim you never did it :D

Be aware also that they (gtg at any rate, don't know about the other one) will keep your dog's results on file for their use... I have problems with that personally... That in is on their FAQ I believe

Edited by zayda_asher

Depends on what markers they are using and whether the dog has those markers, testing is still in it's infancy and there is so much phenotypic variability between dogs despite and extremely small geneotypic variability.

I guess all you can do is get your dogs tested if they come up as something else keep the paperwork it may come in handy, if they have pit bull markers burn the test and claim you never did it :D

I believe there are no markers yet for the APBT

I believe there are no markers yet for the APBT

Yeah I vaguely remember this came up once before in a thread about the bitsa test apparently the APBT isn't on their list of breeds so if that's the case the dog can't possibly have it listed as a possible ancestor :)

if you choose ASAP be prepared to wait for the results for months.

Ive done a vwd test on my litter of pups and waited about 5 months for results, Ive done it with another lab before and got the results is 2-3 weeks. ASAP was cheaper, but Im not going to use them again.

Monelite, I got my results back within 3 weeks, it was a blood sample.

Edit: thought that may have sounded rude, just meant to say that I know some people have slow result times thru ASAP but my exp was good :)

Edited by jrm88

I personally wouldn't waste my money - I do not think that the test methods which these companies use currently are very accurate. They would be unlikely to stand up in court as Weasels has stated.

I also wouldn't support the business ethics of GTG by purchasing a test off them - if I could help it. I think its shocking the amount of $$$ they charge for what are very simple ( & cheap to preform) tests. A real pity about gene patenting - hope it gets abolished. That could open up genetic testing to other labs and there might be fairer prices etc.

Can anyone recommend a laboratory to carry out DNA research?

ie to develop a Breed DNA signature for a breed?

Thank you

:)

I'd love to! Probably need about $100k though to type enough reference animals from each breed and buy all the lab consumables :(

And then hope that genetic technologies don't sue me.....

(eta just pointing out that as MalteseLuna said since they own the patents and don't tell anyone how they test, anyone else coming along would have to start from scratch. Since it's a private company, they are naturally anticompetitive, even to universities)

Edited by Weasels