First Time Foster Carer Of A Pharoah Hound!

Carlo11

The sighthound scream of death is also not uncommon in having feet handled... Especially by strangers. Some need to be sedated to have nails trimmed...

Oh, yes.

One of my own greyhounds is an epic drama queen and I have to take him to the vet to have his nails done :o I teach new adopters how to cut nails without the greyhound pity party and yet I can't cut my own dog's nails (the last time we tried, he jerked his paw just as I was about to cut- blood everywhere, screaming, the neighbours must have thought I was killing him. :banghead:

Does anyone know of a reputable behaviourist that is LOCAL to Wollongong,NSW, gets results and doesnt charge like a wounded bull?

Also . . .are there any local breeders of Pharaoh Hounds that can give advice etc?

No re behaviourist. The only person I would recommend is Steve from k9Pro. Sighthounds in the wrong hands are a disaster.

I will PM you the name of a breeder who I think might be able to give advice.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Hi all,

I am pleased with the way Kenya is progressing.We went for a walk in the rain today and soon got used to the idea that my umbrella was not an implement to beat him with no matter how much he gazed at it in awe.He is getting better on the leash and even wagged his tail at a man we saw on the street the other day.

Every day I take him next door to spend some time with their dogs for doggy time! I still keep a fence between them but he wags his tail and seems interested inthem.

All in all, progress is slow but its happening which gives me hope.

That's great progress. He's sure learning trust.

By the way, his breed is the National Dog of Malta, their place of origin. It was British dog show people who gave it the Egyptian name.

His Maltese breed name is Kelb tal-Fenek, which means Rabbit Hound. Breed fanciers have been trying for ages to get the breed's original name restored.

There's some interesting information here on Keeping a Kelb tal-Fenek.

http://www.kelb-tal-fenek.de/indexeng.htm

My background is Maltese.

Glad to hear there is progress Carlo. This fostering lark can be bluddy hard work, but it's full of rewards as well, and those small progressive steps make it all worthwhile.

I don't know anything about the breed so can't offer any advise, but please keep us posted on how Kenya is going.