Permits For Extra Dogs

MissMaddy

My mum and I are currently in the process of buying acreage together, and one thing I have to consider is that I currently have 4 dogs (well one is nearly 2 weeks old, but he still needs to be counted for the future).

I'm wondering if people on here can give me an idea of different councils and how easy it is to get permits for extra dogs.

The areas we're looking are Gembrook, Packenham Upper and Macclesfield (so I think Cardinia), Seville, Wandin area(which I think falls under Maroondah or Yarra Ranges??? I could be wrong, I don't know the councils in that area very well).

So to sum it up, the councils possible could include;

Cardinia

Yarra Ranges

Maroondah

Knox

How easy is it to get a permit for extra dogs within these different councils? Is there like a "kennel" or breeders permit that can be obtained?

Macclesfield comes under Yarra Ranges, I know cos I have a friend who used to live there. I think most of the rest of the places you are looking at come under Cardinia. I think Cardinia is perhaps more dog friendly.

Pam

ETA

wandin and Seville also come under Yarra Ranges

Edited by jacobite

I have 3 councils areas I'm considering moving to, in the South East of SA, in a few years time. I have contacted all these councils and asked about dogs.

How many can I have? What is the process for having more than that? What if I change dogs?

I have now listed those 3 councils in order of priority, and it will be a factor in deciding which property to purchase.

I've already found out how many dogs I can have. They all say 2, any more require permits. Guess I'm just hoping to hear from people who have actually applied for permits, and how easy they are to obtain. From what I can gather they'll ask your neighbours, and check where you plan on housing them. It's the approval part that I'm concerned with.

I have a friend in Cardinia shire who has a 3 dog permit in a suburban block, so I'm thinking they shouldn't be too much of a problem. I suppose Yarra Ranges is the main one.

Great, thanks guys! I have 4 so that won't be a problem. We're looking at around 20 acres. Also have to consider if I get more dogs, but that's not going to happen any time soon. Do Yarra Ranges allow 4 on acreage as well?

Cool, thanks JulesP. Think I better ring them and ask them what the likelihood of getting a permit is before we buy anything. The other area we are looking at is Kangaroo Ground/ St Andrews area. Who would they come under? Is there anywhere I can just look up to find out what council an area comes under?

Edited by MissMaddy

They probably can't answer that. You have to apply for the permit and then they go around and ask your neighbors. Think they do a home check too.

Seville & Wandin you are probably looking at over a million for 20 acres. Which might help narrow down areas :)

You need to go further out to get more reasonable prices.

A friend lives in Eden Park and think they can have 3 or 4 dogs without a permit.

Yeah, price has helped narrow down areas. We have some properties to look at around Seville, Wandin and Macclesfield. Guess I was just hoping to find out how reasonable the councils were? From the sounds of it, Cardinia are quite reasonable.

I guess we have to suss out the neighbours before we buy a place too! No point buying one if they're dead against allowing permits for extra dogs, especially if the council refuse an application based on their opinions (although I know they do grant permits even if some neighbours object). From what I can gather they all do a home check, which wouldn't be a problem.

Yarra Ranges - ring up and talk to someone, be friendly, be explaining. Tell them re obedience training, ID, responsible attitude etc. They are human beings, they listen. You need to apply for a permit for anything above two dogs. Applying does not guarantee permission. They will send out a Ranger or the like to look at your fences, kennels, indoor sleeping or whatever. And they will ask neighbours if they have any objections. It's neighbours who pretend friendly then backstab that are the real problem.

If you have more than two dogs, you must register the extra one before applying for the Permit. The Permit Application is about $90. If it is refused it is not refundable. Plus you will not get a refund for paying for the Registration. But must have Rego before applying for permit. I squeaked through (three dogs) and found them positive. But I do think if you approached with a chip on your shoulder so to speak it could be a different result. Cooperation better than confrontation and all that. Smile. Treat it like a job interview, polite well presented and all that really does work in your favour. Dunno if that helps, worked for me.

Now I have to got through it all again in Shelbourne next week, wish me luck all, haven't looked at the regulations yet, will move in then call Loddon Council.

Cool, thanks JulesP. Think I better ring them and ask them what the likelihood of getting a permit is before we buy anything. The other area we are looking at is Kangaroo Ground/ St Andrews area. Who would they come under? Is there anywhere I can just look up to find out what council an area comes under?

KG and St A's is Nillumbik :) Pretty sure it's a permit for over 2 there, we only ever had two. The rangers are pretty tough.

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone, has given me a lot to think about!

We've got a couple in Seville, and quite a few in Macclesfield to look at, so fingers crossed we find what we want. I'm hoping for Macclesfield as it's closer to KCC and friends.

We live in Cockatoo (Cardinia)on exactly 1 acre.

We had to apply for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs, as they told us that 2 was the limit, unless you have more than 1 acre.

We were issued with a permit to keep 6 GSD's without any problem.

I was told that they would canvass our neighbours, but after the permit was approved, I checked with the neighbours and all said that they were not contacted in any way.

When we submitted the permit, we had to supply a drawing which outlined our kennels, containing the location, size, materials etc.

They never came to our property to check the kennels either.

It was pretty straight forward and we have always found the rangers and other council officials very good to deal with.

Cost to renew permit is $62 per year.

KCC is 45 mins away.

I'm on only a third of an acre in Yarra Ranges and had no difficulty at all getting a four dog permit. Process is as described in an earlier post.

The thing they are concerned about is nuisance to your neighbours so they are interested in the actual dogs you have - will they be left outside day and night, are they barkers, fence runners etc?

When the ranger comes out say that you don't want to create any nuisance and you are happy to work with them to resolve any potential for nuisance. Given mine are 24 hour a day inside dogs (bedding all set up inside, no kennels etc outside) they were perfectly happy that there was little potential for nuisance. One of mine is timid and the ranger also made suggestions that she needed to get out more, so just work with them :)

I also spoke to neighbours on both sides. One was tricky but given he couldn't point to any actual problem caused by my dogs then the council disregarded his objection.

I've found Yarra Ranges to be quite reasonable, including when I found a wandering dog, they put the owner in touch with me to collect it so it didn't have to be picked up by the ranger.

Good luck!

We had to apply for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs, as they told us that 2 was the limit, unless you have more than 1 acre.

I was told that they would canvass our neighbours, but after the permit was approved, I checked with the neighbours and all said that they were not contacted in any way.

When we submitted the permit, we had to supply a drawing which outlined our kennels, containing the location, size, materials etc.

It was pretty straight forward and we have always found the rangers and other council officials very good to deal with.

KCC is 45 mins away.

You need to have more than 4000 square metres in Cardinia to have 4 dogs. That is off their website. An acre is 4046.86 square metres.

KCC is 45 mins away.

You need to have more than 4000 square metres in Cardinia to have 4 dogs. That is off their website. An acre is 4046.86 square metres.

I don't know what they have on their website, but I am simply relating the process that Cardinia Council told us to follow. This was about 10 years ago, and at that time, we were told that with one acre, we must apply for a permit for more than 2 dogs.