The Bill

Tempus Fugit

My apologies if this has been posted previously: The Victorian Bill

Thanks, Tempus Fugit.

Is this IT? No increased penalties for owners where a dog does harm? No additional regulation of wandering dogs. The breed identification issue shunted off into a "a standard that has been approved by the Minister and published in the Government Gazette." And cutting off the opportunity to register as a restricted breed dog closed at the end of September. What a can of worms! Presumably the approved standard won't be published for a bit of time and information on it will be poorly distributed. So X-breed owners aren't going to know whether or not they need to register until AFTER it's too late to register. The standard is going to be a mess for reasons that have been discussed many times. So publication of the standard will leave things clear as mud.

The lawyers are going to have fun with this one!

As I understand it, this is merely stage 1 and rushed through in response to public pressure. New laws holding dog owners criminally liable for any damage or attacks are still being drafted,as are other aspects.

In a way, this is 'good' that this is such a minor immediate change.

The bill just:

*Changes how restricted breeds are recognised and

*Makes people unable to register a dog as a restricted breed post the implementation of the bill.

Neither of these things are GOOD, but they're better than the scheme of things that could happen - that is, the future changes.

It means we still have time to letter write and make a fuss. Please do.

Thanks, Tempus Fugit.

Is this IT? No increased penalties for owners where a dog does harm? No additional regulation of wandering dogs. The breed identification issue shunted off into a "a standard that has been approved by the Minister and published in the Government Gazette." And cutting off the opportunity to register as a restricted breed dog closed at the end of September. What a can of worms! Presumably the approved standard won't be published for a bit of time and information on it will be poorly distributed. So X-breed owners aren't going to know whether or not they need to register until AFTER it's too late to register. The standard is going to be a mess for reasons that have been discussed many times. So publication of the standard will leave things clear as mud.

The standard should be in the Gazette today.

S

Edit: Actually it looks like it will be Thursday (Hansard 30/8/11 p53)

S

Edited by Sticky

The bill just:

*Changes how restricted breeds are recognised

I've become more familiar with this now, and actually this is not a 'just' - this is a big problem. It pretty much allows for the government to approve any standard they please in order to exterminate bully type dogs. I guess we wait and see the standard in the gazette today.

Thanks, Tempus Fugit.

This is what usually happens bills are rushed through to gain political points. :mad