Do Any Breeds Fit These Criteria?

Cosmolo

Doesn't fit in every way but have you thought about an Aussie? I know their coat is too long for you, but they are surprisingly easy to manage. At Albury they were walking through mud almost to their bellies but were miraculously clean after being left in their crates for a few hours. They do traipse it in the house though ;)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a German Wirehaired pointer.Was just reading about them.Seems they are bolder than the GSP.Good looking dogs,hope to meet some one day.

Gun dogs though.

I hate to push the schnauzer thing Cosmolo, but I know people that don't even get their standards stripped. They brush maybe every 6 months. The coat is very hard and wirey. They fit every other criteria you have. If you want something bigger the giants fit the bill.

The standards are a very healthy breed (they aren't that popular, so less dodgy breeders and people breeding for extremes) and they are very public friendly.

I find Mals scarey looking :o .

What about a German Wirehaired pointer.Was just reading about them.Seems they are bolder than the GSP.Good looking dogs,hope to meet some one day.

Gun dogs though.

I hate to push the schnauzer thing Cosmolo, but I know people that don't even get their standards stripped. They brush maybe every 6 months. The coat is very hard and wirey. They fit every other criteria you have. If you want something bigger the giants fit the bill.

The standards are a very healthy breed (they aren't that popular, so less dodgy breeders and people breeding for extremes) and they are very public friendly.

I find Mals scarey looking :o .

Wow megan; ,been looking at giant schnauzer pictures,good looking dog too.The silver-grey ones are really stunning.

Guest english.ivy

Groenendael, though they aren't over 30kg. Well Ivy isn't, she's 20kg but a small Groen.

Her prey drive is very high. But she very easily quietens down.

Minimal grooming, except winter to spring but the coat tends to hold on to the dead hair.

Aussies are too small and herding type- there are 3 herding breeds ahead of them that we'd prefer. :)

Not sure about the Mals but will keep them in mind. Boxers are probably still at the top of the list.

:)

I don't think the general public would be put off by a Boxer now that they have tails. Great big helicopter wags make them a bit easier to 'read' now. :laugh:

Funny though, I have been asked if he is a 'Staffy' or a Rhodesian Ridgeback while out ( he's purebred with papers, a fairly obvious Boxer to me!) Maybe it's just his colour?

As Dasha pointed out, exercising in high heat can be an issue for Boxers. If we were going to have a 40 degree day here in Perth I would only walk him early morning/ late afternoon. Anyway 40 degrees is too hot for me too. :laugh:

For most of the year though, heat isn't an issue for me as a pet owner. I guess it depends on if you need a dog that can do strenuous exercise in high heat? in which case a Boxer isn't ideal.

I'm glad you are considering a Boxer, they seem an under-rated breed. Ours just loves life to the full, I can't imagine not having one.:)

Cosmolo, your message inbox is full! I have a friend with working line corso pups, not at all scarey looking (much finer and leaner than the show line), ankc reg'd, fawns and black brindles, located in NSW but transport is no problem, let me know if you want his number...

Haven't read through ALL the replies, so sorry if this has been suggested, but what about a Dutch Shepherd? Not sure if there are many here, but would think they'd fit your criteria, plus no one really knows what they are so not scary to the general public :p (and yes it's RB from that horsey forum we are also both on :p)