Do Any Breeds Fit These Criteria?

Cosmolo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested in competing with the dog but the dog would be trained as though he was. Need something that can live in a well managed pack, is friendly with people and preferably something that isn't overtly scary looking to the general public as the dog would regularly work with clients. Moderate level of usable drive, confident to assertive personality- not after something that is soft as butter.

I thought this was why you were avoiding Rotties and Dobes, which is a real shame as you would be an excellent owner of these breeds and you would be able to do the dogs justice and develop their full potential. :(

I wish you all the best in your search :)

Megan, we will always have a kelpie or ACD (or a few!) and JRTs but we love bigger dogs too. :) Corgis are also on the must have one day list.

Sorry grumpette, i have always loved Rottweilers though. Its not the only reason i'd veer away from the Rotts and dobes but it does contribute.

My first thought was dobe as well and if not wanting scary, what about a red and tan? Friends of mine have a black and a red and people's reactions are totally different to the 2 of them. The black dog is big and scary yet most do not realise the red is exactly the same breed and comment what a lovely dog she is.

Brown dobe

I went to a trial the other day and except the obedience they had a retrieving tests. I rock up at the secretaries table to sign in and the lady says - let me guess you ate here for the gun dog test. I said hmmmm no she is a dobermann.

Later on after a trial someone from the public watching came over to congratulate me and says - she is huge. I said yeah big girl. The lady goes / I've never seen such a big pointer. I answered neither did but she isn't a pointer she is a dobermann.

Most people dont know that dobes come in brown

Oh and now that they have tails most will never think it's a dobe

Yes, Many people think like i used to of scary Dobermans with cropped ears and docked tails.The ones with big floppy ears and a tail look reallly sweet to me.

Working Border Collie. Short coated. Registered with working dog papers.

They come a lot larger than people think in certian lines and not the regular colours. You can get a range of colour combinations. Got drive but a good brain.

Hot weather tolerant. Just not quite 30 kg

Edited by dasha

Without re-reading the last 7 pages, what was the response to a smooth collie?

Wouldn't they come in a variety of drive levels, they're public friendly (in appearance) and would have no trouble working in the heat.

ETA- They might not have the edge you're after though.....

Has the malinois been suggested? I've seen a male who was easily 40kg plus, and was used by a professional trainer to work with dog agressive dogs (which he was briliiant at and somehow just knew when to back off and when to tell another dog off for being stupid). He had a bit of drive, and a beautiful worker with a sensible brain. Lovely dog, and if I could be guaranteed to find one like him I'd consider the breed down the track.

Edited by MissMaddy

None of the collies are big enough or solid enough for the type of dog we'd be considering. I do love the smooth collies i work with (in fact they are one of my favourite clients) but i don't think they are the dog for us. We will always have herding breeds but they will always be kelpies, ACD's or a corgi.

Not interested in competing with the dog but the dog would be trained as though he was. Need something that can live in a well managed pack, is friendly with people and preferably something that isn't overtly scary looking to the general public as the dog would regularly work with clients. Moderate level of usable drive, confident to assertive personality- not after something that is soft as butter.

Dog won't be asked to work in really hot weather but i don't want something that can't go for a walk on a sunny 25 degree day. Would prefer something i can groom myself. Nothing predisposed to anxiety or known for its vocal side. :laugh: Needs to be reasonably intelligent and generally bold.

And yes i know many of these things can be nurtured but i would want to start with the best blank slate possible.

Am off to have a closer look at the corsos- i only know one and he had some significant issues but has the structure i like so worth checking out i think.

With the added criteria, probably not a Cane Corso or Rottie :( .

I would narrow it down based on the above to Dobe, Rhodesian Ridgeback and Great Dane. Depends how much you want to do sports like Agility with the Dane. They are very capable dogs though and some lines seem to be less 'awkward' (Don't know if this holds true or not but it seems some of the fawns can be lighter and more agile? Perhaps a Dane person can comment as this is only based on those I have seen/met in the past)

Any big, solid, short-coated, boofy-headed dog with drive (that isn't a gun dog)is probably not going to be percieved well by Jo Public, so you might have to consider either bending on that criterion or altering your desired breed characteristics. Are your current Bull Arab types 'public friendly'?