Who Would Think That The Ava Would Play A Part In This

DNB

From the Legislative Council Daily Hansard, Tuesday August 30, 2011

http://www.parliamen...August_2011.pdf

Refer page 72, spoken by Hon. P. R. HALL (Minister for Higher Education

and Skills)

The following text:

“The next point I want to make is in respect of the question of the development of the standard. When the Domestic Animals Amendment (Dangerous Dogs) Act 2010 was passed by the Parliament my understanding is that a working party was put in place at that time by the previous government with the aim of developing a standard that could be used by authorised officers of council to assess matters associated with these restricted breed-type dogs. Since that act came into being in 2010 a working party has been formed that has gone about the task of developing these standards. Following the 2010 legislative amendment the working party consisted of a veterinarian who previously participated in the then minister’s restricted dog breed panel and was on the executive of the Australian Veterinary Association. There was also a world-recognised all-breeds judge and there was an experienced authorised officer from a local council, so pretty much the same composition that the previous government had in place has been carried over to the finalisation of the standard that we now have applying to this piece of legislation.”

The vet is Dr Patricia Stewart, Secretary and Treasurer of the Victorian AVA Committee.

The ANKC All Breeds Dog Judge is Glenda Cook, a Corgi breeder. Courtesy of Dogs Victoria?

This very disappointing as I thought the AVA do not agree with breed discrimination and I am curious as to what an ANKC judge would know about a breed that their organisation doesn't recognise.

An all breeds judge would know how to interpret a breed standard

I wasn't aware that cross breeds had a standard and that is what this is all about, any boofy headed dog that doesn't have pedigree papers.

the vet is on a committee, it doesn't say she represents the AVA?

The all breeds judge doesn't necessarily represent DogsVic either? I assume she is a private citizen and can do what she wants. That said, if I was a showie I'd pull my dog out of everything she judged and would encourage fellow showies to do the same.

The all breeds judge doesn't necessarily represent DogsVic either? I assume she is a private citizen and can do what she wants. That said, if I was a showie I'd pull my dog out of everything she judged and would encourage fellow showies to do the same.

Dogsvic were consulted by the previous government and they were pleased to help.

Dogsvic were consulted by the previous government and they were pleased to help.

Thats true Sumosmum... They might be able to interpret the breed standard but they have no idea on what a APBT/Pit Bull is..

Dr Patricia Stewart obviously has not talked to the vic AVA president Bill Harkin

http://www.ava.com.au/newsarticle/new-dog-laws-victoria

The biggest problem is determining whether an animal is actually a Pit Bull or Pit Bull cross, or whether it is a cross involving other breeds. There is no DNA test which can identify an animal as a Pit Bull or cross, so the determination can only be made on physical appearance. This is a grey area that can, and will be, contested in court.

The AVA came out strongly against the BSL section of the legislation. Dr. Stewart does not represent the AVA.

http://www.ava.com.au/newsarticle/new-dog-laws-victoria

“AVA supports many parts of the legislation, but we were particularly vocal against the breed specific regulations. AVA policy is that ‘deed, not breed’ should be the determining factor in the assessment and treatment of dogs. This fact has been well communicated to both the Bureau and the Minister, who are fully conversant with AVA’s position,” said Bill.

The AVA’s special interest group for animal behaviour, together with the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists, produced an excellent submission on the proposed legislation, which was submitted to the Bureau of Animal Welfare and to the Minister.

The key area of disagreement is over the breed specific parts of the legislation, essentially the restrictions on Pit Bull Terriers. The restricted breeds include: American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier), Perro de Presa Canario (or Presa Canario), Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa, or Fila Brasileiro. Breeds other than Pit Bulls and their crosses are either unrepresented or nearly so in Victoria. The biggest problem is determining whether an animal is actually a Pit Bull or Pit Bull cross, or whether it is a cross involving other breeds. There is no DNA test which can identify an animal as a Pit Bull or cross, so the determination can only be made on physical appearance. This is a grey area that can, and will be, contested in court.

From the Legislative Council Daily Hansard, Tuesday August 30, 2011

http://www.parliamen...August_2011.pdf

Refer page 72, spoken by Hon. P. R. HALL (Minister for Higher Education

and Skills)

The following text:

"The next point I want to make is in respect of the question of the development of the standard. When the Domestic Animals Amendment (Dangerous Dogs) Act 2010 was passed by the Parliament my understanding is that a working party was put in place at that time by the previous government with the aim of developing a standard that could be used by authorised officers of council to assess matters associated with these restricted breed-type dogs. Since that act came into being in 2010 a working party has been formed that has gone about the task of developing these standards. Following the 2010 legislative amendment the working party consisted of a veterinarian who previously participated in the then minister's restricted dog breed panel and was on the executive of the Australian Veterinary Association. There was also a world-recognised all-breeds judge and there was an experienced authorised officer from a local council, so pretty much the same composition that the previous government had in place has been carried over to the finalisation of the standard that we now have applying to this piece of legislation."

The vet is Dr Patricia Stewart, Secretary and Treasurer of the Victorian AVA Committee.

The ANKC All Breeds Dog Judge is Glenda Cook, a Corgi breeder. Courtesy of Dogs Victoria?

This very disappointing as I thought the AVA do not agree with breed discrimination and I am curious as to what an ANKC judge would know about a breed that their organisation doesn't recognise.

absolutely.