How Do You Start Training Distance Work?

I have been working on moving laterally away from the obstacles and she performs them ok, but i dont think she understands it when there is 2 jumps and i want her to take the further one.

I am trying to get this sorted before we have a shot at Open Jumpers in a couple of weeks! Any suggestions on how to practice this? Any good youtube vids you can point me to?

I searched Youtube and DOL but nothing that breaks it down enough for me! :laugh:

I have an excellent DVD from Clean Run, called "Dial up The Distance" by Kristy Netzer. Not sure if there is any real "quick fix", but I have taught my girl that "out over" using a thrusting of the arm, hand signal, means take the far jump & "here Over" & dropping arm to my side, means take the closer one to me. But it is an excellent DVD for distance training. :thumbsup:

I think that in general, nearly all of the skills you need for Open are the same as the ones you need for regular Agility & Jumping, especially from the Excellent level on. I find I actually use the out command (that I have trained) much less than what you would think. For me, Open challenges are nearly always about setting the right line for my dog. If I need to, I will sometimes take a little time at the beginning of the challenge (before sending the dog over the line) to make sure I get this path right. I also try to find a way to keep moving once the dog crosses the line.

Some essentials for Open:

A set of consistent handling rules, ie when shoulders are forward, dog does x; when handler turns towards dog, dog does y etc.

A good send to a tunnel

A dog who is willing to drive forward while the handler is moving

Front & rear cross signals/commands

Acknowlegement that if wasn't open, you may well be handling at that distance anyway

Some traps people fall into:

not crossing the line in the walking to have a look at what the dog sees when they are running it

Starting the challenge on the line & having nowhere to move once the dog has crossed it

Waiting for the dog to come out of a tunnel, when that time could be used to get to the next point you need to be at

Throwing your arm up to send the dog and then dropping it before the dog has committed to the obstacle

Hope this helps a bit. People tend to panic about the distance & over handle it. Some are very technical, but most a doable if you have trained well for agility & jumping.

Edited by Vickie

I think Vickie raises some excellent points.

I don't train specifically for the distance challenge. I work on all the little aspects of handling and then just use them when I walk the course. Recently we have been working on Zig's "GO!" command (which means take every obstacle in front of you) - great for the run home but it has been invaluable for the distance challenge. Rear crosses also really help. As Vickie said, it's going into the distance challenge that you also need to think about - can be very hard when the tunnel exit is right near the line to build some forward momentum. Also, coming out of the distance challenge can be tricky......I was walking an Open Jumping course a few weeks back and a few people were freaking out about the huge loop that the dogs had to do at a distance with an awkward entry. I decided to just give the "GO!" command and then keep my mouth shut - it worked so well that Zig did it all at breakneck speed but I didn't think to decel coming out of the spread into the weaves and he completely missed the entry :hitself: Gee I was SO chuffed though!!!! :laugh:

I agree with Vickie. I haven't trained specifically for the distance challenge, but the majority of the time we are able to get it if I can set up the line. The only thing I have done which I think helped was the one jump obstacle focus work which helps with them running a line in Susan Garrett's One Jump DVD. The only ones which we really have problems with are the ones which require directional changes and the dog working two jumps ahead of you (like yesterday's Open Jumping course :eek: ). Mostly I just set him up and keep my mouth shut :laugh:

Thanks guys! some great tips there! I have been working on a "go on" cue getting her to work ahead of me on the line she is on, which is working well so far! :)

I will stick with improving our communication (my handling :laugh: ) rather than focusing on one thing!

The only thing I have done which I think helped was the one jump obstacle focus work which helps with them running a line in Susan Garrett's One Jump DVD.

i LOVE this DVD! i will keep improving on these drills and see how we go! :D

this is our first session with the "out" cue. Should i continue improving it, or just work on improving our turns etc? we are pretty solid with our FCs and RCs (it is me that needs to remember to use them! :rofl: )

this is the "go on" cue although you cant hear me say it? LOL

Be nice with the criticism, we are still learning! :laugh:

Edited by krustie22