Client Showed Up At The Door With Dog -

Andisa

It is super annoying when the owner acts like you are a crap groomer because you couldn't do a breed clip because their dog was so matted.

yeah, the same owners that wouldn't know the correct breed trim if it smacked them in the face, preferring a hula skirt on their Schnauzer over a correctly trimmed underline :rolleyes:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the yrs I have asked a few people to take their dogs to the vet and the ones that I was really worried about had cancer, some were very advanced and pts soon after, others a yr or so later. The one that I will never forget, I had been doing her on a regular basis and she looked great last time (every 12 weeks), her belly was very swollen and she stunk bad - really bad. I asked the owner to please take her to the vet, she called me the next day to tell me that the dog had emergency surgery when she took her in - she had Pyometra and they almost lost her. I had never seen pyo before and it was well before I became a breeder so knew little about it - however I will never forget that little dog.

It is really sad when you see the regular dogs coming in and they are aging - all the lumps and bumps, it is hard watching them struggling with arthritis. I love doing the oldies, they have a kindness about them (well the good ones do). You get to know the owners and the dogs well, it is sad when you feel the changes in their bodies and ask the owners to get them checked. I remind them that I am not a vet but anything that comes up fast is not a good sign, feeling lumps that you know were not there last time or more advanced than the time before and you know their time is getting closer. I have given many of the oldies long cuddles and kisses and said my good byes before the owners pick them up thinking I may not see them again - some I do - others I get the phone call saying they have gone.

So - while it's not all horrible, it can be very sad in other ways too. It is easy getting favorites and attached to some dogs, we share the owners loss too when they have to say goodbye. Strange feeling for someone who was called a dog hater on the first page...

edited - sp?

Edited by Andisa

Why don't people recognise their limitations? I would love a fluffy dog, they are gorgeous but I recognise that I am not the type of person who likes to groom so I stick to short coated breeds.

I am not even that bothered by my own hair!

Edited by korbin13

Why don't people recognise their limitations? I would love a fluffy dog, they are gorgeous but I recognise that I am not the type of person who likes to groom so I stick to short coated breeds.

I am not even that bothered by my own hair!

I think most are impulse buys - the girl in the pet shop "forgets" to mention the fluffy coats don't stop growing and for some reason heaps of people don't stop to think long enough about what the pups will look like as adults.

Lack of thought - good intentions don't last long enough.

Over the yrs I have asked a few people to take their dogs to the vet and the ones that I was really worried about had cancer, some were very advanced and pts soon after, others a yr or so later. The one that I will never forget, I had been doing her on a regular basis and she looked great last time (every 12 weeks), her belly was very swollen and she stunk bad - really bad. I asked the owner to please take her to the vet, she called me the next day to tell me that the dog had emergency surgery when she took her in - she had Pyometra and they almost lost her. I had never seen pyo before and it was well before I became a breeder so knew little about it - however I will never forget that little dog.

It is really sad when you see the regular dogs coming in and they are aging - all the lumps and bumps, it is hard watching them struggling with arthritis. I love doing the oldies, they have a kindness about them (well the good ones do). You get to know the owners and the dogs well, it is sad when you feel the changes in their bodies and ask the owners to get them checked. I remind them that I am not a vet but anything that comes up fast is not a good sign, feeling lumps that you know were not there last time or more advanced than the time before and you know their time is getting closer. I have given many of the oldies long cuddles and kisses and said my good byes before the owners pick them up thinking I may not see them again - some I do - others I get the phone call saying they have gone.

So - while it's not all horrible, it can be very sad in other ways too. It is easy getting favorites and attached to some dogs, we share the owners loss too when they have to say goodbye. Strange feeling for someone who was called a dog hater on the first page...

edited - sp?

We have had 2 of these in the last 2 months. It really does hurt. The other one that gets me upset is when the lovely small fluffies owned by older clients that have to be put into homes and cant take their baby with them. That breaks my heart.

I worked in a vet hospital, so the owners we called and told that the dog had a problem and needed to see a vet, none argued, or if they did they kinda got told. The RSPCA branch that coveres our area is 485kms away and doesn't have enough funds and well basically rarely gets here if ever.

Oh yay.. I can ahve a rant. I like this thread. :thumbsup: Everyone has one of those days like I had yesterday, you know the ones where you set aside a huge gap in your appointment times because you know you have a big job coming in in this case a Fully matted, Filthy, hardly ever been groomed before LabradorxPoodle that had been in a bording kennel for weeks somewhere and not groomed. So yeah the dog desperatly needs grooming for its own comfort... the first time she was booked in the lady rang me on the day and said she couldn't make it, yeah okay really annoying.

Fortunately I was already behind on that day and trying to squeeze in that job would have been hard anyway cos our hydrobath wasnt working and everything was being done by hand. So I reshuffled everyone around on another day (yesterday) to get her in... left a gap of no other bookings between 9am-12pm because it was still going to be a big job and GRRRRRR she didn't flamming turn up... no phone call no nothing, I rang her she didn't answer her phone so Im guessing she knew it was me.

If it wasn't for the fact that dog desperatly needs a groom id flat out say no more chances, I couldn't bump anyone else up for the day. So I had 3 hours to twiddle my thumbs.. then the day kind of got worse from there. Im tired of these people that say "oh she is a little funny with her feet" .. little funny like how? Does she BITE? "Oh no she doesn't bite..." (the huge black bruise and teeth marks inflicted on my arm after using the dryer less than 10 mins later would suggest otherwise.) - coudlnt get a muzzle on the dog, she was way too traumatised then i get the "oh the vet puts a muzzle on her she doesnt like it" when they pick her up... So yes thanks for informing me your dog goes from angel to off the rails savage without warning and goes crazy if you try to put a muzzle on her. I wont force a dog to do anything that stresses them out to that point... just makes them worse and worse for next time... I only wish people would just say what their dog is like... Im not going to say I wont do it... I just like to be prepared.

So in the midst of that I had a desperate walk In with a border collie who just wanted a quick bath ( almsot got badly bitten by another border the other day who was "funny with his feet" so yeah) So I started to comb some matts out of his fluffy rear.. ANd he is growling... ironicly.. Not at me.. but at the Terror.. er i mean Terrier that bit me... Was an interesting owner and dog confontation... the Terrier that bit me apparently chases and terrorises this random walk in border collie on the beach.. so yeah there was that "Oh... so thats YOUR dog" stand off in the shop.... yeahhh.. Awkward... :o

Then my other two... (very difficult at times) Clients turn up with their two Shih tzu's ... now I tried to bump these two up earlier when the first dog didnt turn up... They said yep thats fine... then called me back 5 mins later saying no they would rather come in at their alloted time because I explained I was going to have to pause halfway through them just to quickly give 2 dogs a quick bath then I could finish them hopefully sooner.... oh no.. nope.. Apparently their dogs where going to be upset that Id have to pause half way through to do the other clients that where still booked for a quick 10 min hydro. (Something to do with if you where in a hairdresser how would you feel if your hair dresser told you to wait a sec while they did something else) - their dogs. They wont get offended.

So they turned up at their time, I was still blowdrying the walk in border, that was fine they spent ages talking to the owner of the border collie. So when I got started on their dogs... I find that one of them is seriously matted along where his harness sits which is not normal for this dog.. they didnt want him cut short so i had to comb out the matts... which took well over an hour longer than id hoped... when they where still there at 7pm.. I had to confess I coudlnt work any more and had to leave one of their dogs half groomed and asked them to come back monday... ugh that was so.. soo embaressing and hard. (Lets not mention that I actually have a severely bulging disk in my spine that is pressing on a nerve that is causing me the worst pain ive ever experienced in my life... so yeah by that point I coudlnt stand, i coudlnt bend down to see if my scissoring was straight.. i was physically going to collapse.. so yeah it just wasnt possible.) So yeah If they had come in earlier.. I would have had at least one dog combed out .. and woudlnt have had to spend the extra time and They would have been done by 5pm not 7pm.

Rant over... oh I feel better now. Cept for my back.... and my arm.... they still suck. :laugh:

:laugh: sorry I should not :laugh: - just hope you didn't use any unnecessary force making them co-operate :D .

I am sitting here feeling your pain - I mean I really do feel it :o .

Your better than me though - I tell them if they have not maintained their dogs coats I will clip them off :thumbsup: .

got to love the "no shows' though hey.... :mad

Edited by Andisa

:laugh: sorry I should not :laugh: - just hope you didn't use any unnecessary force making them co-operate :D .

I am sitting here feeling your pain - I mean I really do feel it :o .

Your better than me though - I tell them if they have not maintained their dogs coats I will clip them off :thumbsup: .

got to love the "no shows' though hey.... :mad

I never use unnecessary force, I hate to use muzzles when I can avoid it and I never use the ones that force their mouth shut either. And the funny thing is... these people who I had to comb out their dog (they usually get their dog bathed and brushed out by me every two weeks like clockwork)cos the owner gives in to every little growl and grizzle they make over their feet and their butt (I see its all show and I ignore them, cute little critters. :laugh: ) - I hadn't seen them for 4 weeks cos they got bumped by this no show the First time, they gave me a weeks notice to rechedule... then they rang back and this no show had taken their spot.. so yeah How Ironic.

If this no show lady calls me again Ill be asking her to come in and pay a $80 Deposit before I take another booking at least that's the cost of 2 little dogs if she doesnt show up again. I hate to make her dog suffer cos she messes me around its not fair.

I have never been able to understand why people think that a nice shaved off clean SWF is SO UGLY compared to the stinky filthy snotty poopy flea ridden mess dressed in a full body cast that they present to me upon arrival!

x2 :)

x 3!!!

We always kept our poodle x in a really short clip, becauase we knew we'd be unable to manage a longer coat (we were told he was a bichon, and they had a low amintenance coat that only needed to be brushed once a week... so not te case!!!)

Can I have a rant against dog groomers please :D just one not all of them.

I have only ever used a groomer once in my life...for my Pekingese just recently. I thought I would support a local new business so booked him in with the groomer for a WASH I told the partner of the shop being the husband on the phone that he has a few shows coming up and I would like him washed.

It should have taken less than an hr to wash and dry him...they said they would ring...I rang after an hr and they said he will be ready soon we will ring you. I was getting worried at this stage....they rang me an hr later to say he was ready. :eek:

I went in....when he brought him out he looked so little...SHE HAD STRIPPED HIS UNDERCOAT OUT :cry::cry::cry: He was in show condition coat wise when I dropped him off...not even a knot in his coat or matted peices...I will admit he did have a few fleas as at the time we were struggling to get control of them and we do live in the bush.

Anyhoo I was so angry I just paid and left and cried in the car.

My bitch is if she was having difficulty because of his coat to wash him then she should have phoned me and I would have come and got him...I would not have said yes strip his coat to make it easier for you. :eek:

Her mistake also is having happy hubby at the counter saying yes to everything and she'll know what to do My mistake was not talking directly to her the groomer.

That is a little odd, it would have taken time and cost more than you booked him in for so I would think it rather strange that she would spend the time stripping out his undercoat then washing and drying him without a phone call first?

Not that is has ever happened down here, but if someone presented me with a show dog I would make sure I double checked EVERYTHING before touching one hair on their head!