Client Showed Up At The Door With Dog -

Andisa

Another one I wouldnt leave my dog with.

Yeah, a good walloping will fix those feral kids, and if that doesnt work, hit ''em a bit harder.

Pebbles, you clearly shouldn't be grooming anymore, I'm shocked that a few people think it's fine to belt/shake/ a dog that is there to be groomed.

If you can't groom them without resorting to strong-arm tactics, maybe you need to reassess your approach to difficult dogs.

If you worked in child care, I guess that smacking an unruly child who misbehaves is okay as well?

Oh yes and the ban on child smacking/punishing has turned out so well for today's society hasn't it? The amount of little ferals running around because they don't cop a good wallop is ridiculous -- the wooden spoon to the arse hasn't scarred me for life so what makes these little precious' so damn special? :rolleyes:

But back to the original post, Andisa runs her grooming business from home so I know I wouldn't just "rock up" because there's absolutely no guarantee she'd be home. You don't just go over to a friend's house and assume they'll be there and to me this is the same thing.

Sure, if the salon was set up as a business in a building with office hours you could expect clients to just turn up without appointments (and demand to be squeezed in), but to appear at someone's house with not even a phone call to see if you're home is just rude IMO.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok last one, this old girl is going to bed. Bite Me, no where did I mention 'belt', good heavens, grow up, girl. The world isn't all roses, there's a lot of bad dogs and kids out there and a good shake would probably do them the world of good ;)

Nite :)

ETA - To make you feel better, I'm over 70 and only groom for myself, wouldn't want to do any others.

Edited by pebbles

Back ot,if you work from home you have to learn to be firmer.

I have had the same problem hairdressing from home, clients rock up and expect me to drop everything.

I have days and times when i work, they make an appt, and i don't budge!

I have had people turn up on a sunday when i was having lunch with rellies and after still telling them that, they asked again if i could do it :mad

Don't let them push you around,or they will try it everytime.( and its always the ones with kids who trash the place when they come, or winge about the price etc)

Why make a big deal out of it - you should just have told your husband to tell him you weren't home and he couldn't leave the dog. You sound like one of those groomers who don't really like dogs at all with that description of the dog - its not his fault his owner is inconsiderate.

It is a big deal, when you have cleaned your salon , ready for the next "booked" grooming session and one dog means cleaning up the whole lot again, not to mention it shitting everywhere.

I don;t like dogs that stuff around on the table, sit down, crap on me, piss on me, throw their weight around and are a general pain in the back side. For those dogs, I add half the usual grooming fee on top of what they'd pay for a " nice dog ".

I also now refuse to groom "giant" breeds and Mareema's, it doesn't mean I don;t like big dogs.

I can fully understand Andisa's pain and October isn't even here yet

Agree, next time he tries it tell him you are to busy and he will have to make an appointment or try another groomer.

Worst client I had similar to this, phones me at 8pm one evening (they had just got in from work) and wanted me to go out to groom their dog (back in the day when I was mobile) they lived a good 30 - 40 minutes away and the dog would take a couple of hours to groom (on a good day). The chap got really upset and abusive with me after I refused to go out that night, even after I explained I had an early start the next morning :mad I refused to book the dog in again after that. My business was at a point where I had enough good clients to not have to put up with the crap, who needs that extra stress in life?

Some people are just rude and think that they can call tradies etc at any hour of the day or night. That is only cool if it is a major emergency. I only call during 9-5 Monday to Friday. Unless the person has said call at 6-7pm or something.

I still get calls for grooming and the last one was at 4.00pm on a Sunday. I thought that was weird. I did have people calling at stupid times wanting dogs washed immediately and the answer was always no. Not my problem you haven't washed your dog for years and have visitors arriving in a couple of hours.

I think some need to back off with the insults, yes some groomers can be a bit hard, but not once has it been said in here that anyone belts the hell out of a dog - there have been a few owners I would like to slap around a bit though :o . You do need to be firm with some dogs, no denying that, there is nothing I would do to a dog that I do not do when the owner is standing beside me, actually some owners have no idea just how bad their dogs can be until they see it for themselves. Some are better with their owners staying but others are better if they leave. I don't do many difficult dogs anymore, the worst ones I do eventually get sick of and tell them to go to a vet who does grooming so the dog can be sedated. I only groom a handful of aggressive dogs and the owners stay with me.

A close call I once had, I saw what was about to happen in the corner of my eye and moved back just in time, he just scraped my forehead and had a snap at my chest - the owner was there and almost about had a fit. I was more worried about her than what the dog tried to do to me. I knew the dog was difficult, had done him once before but he was ok, unpredictable but I was able to manage him. I had been doing her daughters dog for a few yrs and they asked me about doing this dog, we talked about what to expect, I should have kept him muzzled but I needed to take it off to get to his face, he was ok and I moved further down the body and that was when he had a go at me. A few months later the owner called in to let me know they had him pts, they were worried he would have a go at their grandchildren. He was a beautiful dog, just a shame he was so aggressive.

The odd dog has scratched the crap out of my arms while I was trying to hold or secure it - if I let it go it could jump off the table and hang itself. I have no idea how many times my left thumb has been bitten, some really latch on, trying handling clippers or scissors when a dog refuses to stay still, I have cut myself several times when dogs will not co-operate, usually if a dog has some blood on it - it's mine - not theirs. I was asked once if one of my dogs attacked me because my arm was so badly marked - I told them hell no - none of my dogs would ever do that - it was a clients dog. I have no love for dogs that behave like that - I refuse to do them again if they have not settled down by the 3rd time unless I really like the dog or the owner.

I have slowed things down a bit due to injuries, I only do a few dogs a day. I love grooming but do not appreciate dogs who are badly behaved, getting shit or pissed on and I sure as hell do not enjoy being attacked. I have a toileting area set up because you would be amazed how many indoor dogs don't get the chance to toilet before walking in the door. Some people just don't think. I allow them to toilet before I start especially if they are nervous dogs hoping they will not do it on me or on the bench or in the bath or on the floor or in the crate. I don't know how many times I have had to turn around and wash the dog again because it toileted in the crate and laid down in it just before the owner comes to get it, dogs who are not crate trained I leave lose in the shed (no other dogs with them) and still have to clean up after them. On a nice day they go outside in the pen.

Some dogs that I stopped doing have come back - I might do them a couple of time but I drop them again. It is just not worth it. In the early days I used to feel sorry for the dogs who would not co-operate but as the yrs went by I felt sorrier for myself - I don't need the hassle - simple as that.

Sorry for another long rant - but hubby has been clued in to what to do next time :D I don't have a sign with the hrs I work but will be very soon.

A friend of mine had a mobile grooming business for many years.She was definately no shrinking violet when it came to unruly dogs or owners but still had the biggest clientele here on the coast.She sold up and moved to WA and now grooms in a vet clinic which she loves.After years of running her own business she now goes to work grooms her booked in dogs and goes home.No more 5pm phone calls on Xmas eve from people who have been far too busy to get their dog clipped.Oh and I'm from the wooden spoon era and no emotional scarring from me either.Apoligised to mum years later for being such a s**t of a kid.

Guest lavendergirl

Hey, Lavendergirl, I'd guess you aren't a groomer? I did it for years and some dogs are absolute little shites and some are big shites!

That's often why the groomers get the job 'cause the owner cant be bothered to teach the dog to be handled and groomed. My big mistake when I started was letting one owner stay while I did her 'precious', snappy, snarling little dear. One day the owner had to go to the loo up the street, dog got a good shaking, plonked back on the table, roared at and it was 'nearly' an angel after that lol.

In other words you traumatised the dog. You are exactly the type of person I would not want within a mile of my dog and there are plenty of groomers like you. If you could not handle the dog tell the owner you are unable to take the dog for grooming and why. You have no right to abuse the dog.

ER... I smell "troll" ... Lavendergirl, your posts have been unnecessarily harsh and reek of deliberate antagonism. Uncool. Unless you have a constructive point... Please refrain.

ER - I am not shaking and roaring at dogs. Nor am I the only one with the opinion that this is not umm like "Cool". Ok want a "constructive point"? How about groomers actually communicate with clients who have difficult dogs and let the owners of the dogs decide whether the dog may need to be sedated before grooming rather than making sure the client has left before employing their particular brand of behaviour management. Or better still if it is acceptable to use these methods tell every client their dog may be physically "corrected" if the groomer deems it necessary. Then the client can decide if that groomer suits them.

ER - I am not shaking and roaring at dogs. Nor am I the only one with the opinion that this is not umm like "Cool". Ok want a "constructive point"? How about groomers actually communicate with clients who have difficult dogs and let the owners of the dogs decide whether the dog may need to be sedated before grooming rather than making sure the client has left before employing their particular brand of behaviour management. Or better still if it is acceptable to use these methods tell every client their dog may be physically "corrected" if the groomer deems it necessary. Then the client can decide if that groomer suits them.

Lavendergirl, the only safe place to groom a sedated dog is under veterinary supervision. Sedation was for years the "quick fix" for difficult dogs and frankly I'd NEVER use a groomer who employed it.

If your focus is the best interests of the dog, then I think you need to review your thoughts on sedation. A sedated dog will generally have issues with temperature control also.. how wise do you think it is to use heated dryers or cages in those circumstances?

Using sedation for grooming is no longer best practice for professional grooming unless the dog is a severe matting case and difficult to handle - same goes with using sedation for travelling.

Clients with the best interests of their dogs at heart start them off with regular grooming as pups and book them in no less often than every six weeks for the works. Sadly those kind of clients aren't as common as they should be and when a groomer is confronted with a matted dog that's difficult to handle then placing a few boundaries on the dog's behavior is required. That can be done without abuse and if the owner can't or won't do it, then it falls to the groomer I'm afraid.

Christina may have clients willing to regularly pay two groomers to spend three hours on a difficult dog.. not many groomers do.

Edited by poodlefan

Hey, Lavendergirl, I'd guess you aren't a groomer? I did it for years and some dogs are absolute little shites and some are big shites!

That's often why the groomers get the job 'cause the owner cant be bothered to teach the dog to be handled and groomed. My big mistake when I started was letting one owner stay while I did her 'precious', snappy, snarling little dear. One day the owner had to go to the loo up the street, dog got a good shaking, plonked back on the table, roared at and it was 'nearly' an angel after that lol.

& what would you have done if the dog was not an angel after that ? The next step ?

I have been a groomer & would not have my dog groomed by many people I have seen doing this job. I have let people watch while I have done their dogs & there is absolutely nothing I would do behind their back that I would not do if they were there.

Christina, you are exactly the kind of groomer that I would confidently take my dogs to. :)

While I understand the need for disciplining dogs if they are not cooperating with grooming, I would be really annoyed if a groomer treated my dogs like angels while I was there and waited for me to leave to discipline them.

I prefer to use a "physical correction " , then to be on the recieving end of a nasty dogs teeth. I've not worked with or for a groomer that does not use physical correction and I've worked with a few, none of whom are dog abusers.

I've had clients get upset when I've clamped a dogs jaws shut, using the hair from the muzzle and my fngers, in order to safely scissor where I need to. Sure some of them squeal a bit in protest but it's better than me being bitten.

Of course they could take their dog to the vet, have it sedated, pay the price for it and come back with a typical hair cut from whatever vet nurse was available on the day.

Or better still if it is acceptable to use these methods tell every client their dog may be physically "corrected" if the groomer deems it necessary. Then the client can decide if that groomer suits them.

While I do agree with others that your comment was harsh, I agree that clients should be told that their dogs may need to be disciplined if they misbehave. And let the owners of the dog decide if they want to give their business under those conditions.

Or better still if it is acceptable to use these methods tell every client their dog may be physically "corrected" if the groomer deems it necessary. Then the client can decide if that groomer suits them.

While I do agree with others that your comment was harsh, I agree that clients should be told that their dogs may need to be disciplined if they misbehave. And let the owners of the dog decide if they want to give their business under those conditions.

And should I inform them that I will use a muzzle , clamp their jaws with their hair and my fingers, restrain the dog or use a correction if necessary ?

Owners would be horrified if heaven forbid poor little Buffy needed any of the above, so I could safely get the job done. You can bet your bottom dollar that sweet little Buffy is all cuddles and licks until the brush comes out at home, what makes them think if they can't get a brush through Buffy , that I'm going to be able to , without addressing the behaviour ?

All the owners need to know is that little Buffy goes home clean, with a decent hair cut, wagging tail and that all of my fingers are intact. Of course I will let them know about "bad" behaviour on the table and in the bath etc, but it's usually met with the response of a giggle and " she's not like that at home " and that's because the owners never push the issue with brushing , if they even brush at all.

And should I inform them that I will use a muzzle , clamp their jaws with their hair and my fingers, restrain the dog or use a correction if necessary ?

You forgot the employment of grooming nooses and harness for dogs that won't stand. Its physical restraint even if its not the groomer's hands doing it.

Personally if a bit of growling and physical placement will teach my dogs to stand still (they do anyway) for grooming I'd WAY prefer that to seeing a dog in a grooming noose...

Wow, some people have really gone OFF in this thread. Not sure why. OP is obviously just expressing her concerns about handling an unreasonable client. What's the biggie?

Perhaps you could tell the client you are booked out (like forever) and you aren't taking on any new clients? It's your life, your business. Tell him to go get stuffed. You don't have to have people in your life who make you feel intimidated or uncomfortable.

By the way, Andisa used to wash my Labrador Star, and she was wonderful with her.

Hi Lisa, I didn't realise you bred Pugs. How is your lovely Rottie Piper?

ETA: Andisa introduced me to the Dremel, and for that I will be forever grateful!

Hello littlesquashyguys, thanks for the lovely complement :D

Going out on a limb here but is your name Andrea, your Grandfather lived in Knox and you lived over the other side of the City and did Star have lots of skin problems when she was younger? (I hope I have the right person :o )?

Piper is going strong, she will be 7yo in Jan, surprised you remembered her name. I have 2 of her kids with me now, if your over this way again give me a call, it would be nice to see you again. I have had Pugs for a while now, Charli is the only one I have atm.

You forgot the employment of grooming nooses and harness for dogs that won't stand. Its physical restraint even if its not the groomer's hands doing it.

Personally if a bit of growling and physical placement will teach my dogs to stand still (they do anyway) for grooming I'd WAY prefer that to seeing a dog in a grooming noose...

^^ totally agree :thumbsup:

I was trying to find some photos of a very matted dog that I have posted on DOL before as a reminder of what some owners call "love". If some of you want to point the finger at neglect - point it at the owner.

By the way - the majority of dogs that I do are very well behaved and are an absolute pleasure to work on.