Will Sbts Become Restricted?

Kiara&Heidi

Yesterday I was walking my staffy and a man came up to me and said he was warning all staffy owners to have their dogs on their best behaviour because there is a big push at the moment to have staffordshire bull terriers and American staffordshire terriers become restricted breeds. He said is is the worst in Victoria at the moment (which I know, and I live in NSW but am still worrying it will spread), but they are not banning SBTs or Amstaffs yet... So I am just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of these breeds becoming restricted in the near future, regardless of whether they have papers.

Is it really possible to ban the most common dog breed?

Sorry for grammar, this is written from my phone.

Arielle

I very much doubt that the ANKC registered Staffordshire Bull Terriers will become retricted. The states canine councils sealed the deal in NSW and looks to have done the same for the ANKC dogs with papers, in Victoria

I can see in the not to distant future that the generic brindle pound mutt, back yard bred " staffy" and cross breds, without papers and corresponding chips will be.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Under the DPI Q & A's posted on the Vic website, Staff X are regarded as a restricted breed. Already seeing many of these now being dumped before the end of the month in our council area (Hume), very sad for these dogs, and shows lack of responsibility from their "owners", who have done this to them.

I'm telling you now, there is a big push from NSW Animal Control Officers for the dogs to be automatically restricted unless pedigree papers are provided. They're pushing the DLG hard and the DLG will likely listen. We need to be very careful in NSW because I truly believe we aren't far behind.

Melzawelza, do you mean if a dog 'fails' the pitbull test, or dogs that are obviously SBT but not papered? For example my staffy is only 13kg, so as far as I understand that would stop her from being classified as a pitbull (I think they hav to be over 20kg) but are you saying that if she wasnt papered she would still be restricted as a SBT? Just to clarify I don't mean under the current law in Victoria, I mean for the future.

Under the DPI Q & A's posted on the Vic website, Staff X are regarded as a restricted breed. Already seeing many of these now being dumped before the end of the month in our council area (Hume), very sad for these dogs, and shows lack of responsibility from their "owners", who have done this to them.

sorry but where does it say that staffy x's are a restricted breed? I can't find anything that says that.

these bits were what I was referring to

If it is an American Staffordshire Terrier crossbreed and fits the 'approved standard' then it will be declared a restricted breed dog. You have the right to appeal this declaration at VCAT and will need to provide evidence of the dog's parentage and breeding.

Melzawelza, do you mean if a dog 'fails' the pitbull test, or dogs that are obviously SBT but not papered? For example my staffy is only 13kg, so as far as I understand that would stop her from being classified as a pitbull (I think they hav to be over 20kg) but are you saying that if she wasnt papered she would still be restricted as a SBT? Just to clarify I don't mean under the current law in Victoria, I mean for the future.

Arielle they are more pushing for the Amstaff types to be automatically restricted, at that size your girl would probably not come under scrutiny. Essentially they want the Vic laws (and they were saying it long before any of this came in).

I'm telling you now, there is a big push from NSW Animal Control Officers for the dogs to be automatically restricted unless pedigree papers are provided. They're pushing the DLG hard and the DLG will likely listen. We need to be very careful in NSW because I truly believe we aren't far behind.

DLG cannot over ride the CAA and neither can local councils. They may want to be able to automatically declare as restricted, if no papers are provided, but that would require a change in the current legislation.

As it stands in NSW the councils/rangers are not the judge and jury.

22) My dog is a restricted breed dog and I have decided to no longer keep it

Take the dog to your veterinary practitioner for advice and assistance for its euthanasia and disposal. Alternately, you can surrender the dog to the Council who will arrange for its disposal.

Disposal. Wow. What a horrific term. It's a life not a piece of used toilet paper.

DLG cannot over ride the CAA and neither can local councils. They may want to be able to automatically declare as restricted, if no papers are provided, but that would require a change in the current legislation.

As it stands in NSW the councils/rangers are not the judge and jury.

You're absolutely right, but what I'm saying that the very vocal majority of ACO's are wanting this to happen and pushing it up to the DLG who are listening and this can't bode well if the Fed Government are now pushing for nation wide laws.

My friend with a pedigree AmStaff was told today by city of Greater Geelong that she would have to call closer to the deadline to find out if her dog would be included under the laws, along with pedigree SBTs.

The councils seems to want all bull breeds eradicated off the face of the planet.

hey everyone

I emailed Geelong council this morning and recieved this reply

"The recent legislation changes have not introduced any new breeds into the restricted dog declaration requirements other than including pitbull cross breeds. The main reason for the change in legislation was to bring forward the date for the requirement for dog owners to register a restricted breed, previously the legislation provided an amnesty for owners of a restricted breed to have their dogs registered by 30 Sept 2012 and the recent changes reduced the amnesty to 30 September 2011. After that date it will not be possible to register a restricted breed dog."

Either this person is wrong or the council are doing the dirty on staffie owners!

The Vic Legislation doesnt state anything about Staff X's because it doesnt need to, what it does state is that if your dog fits some loose random description that could apply to virtually any bull breed x then they can declare it a restricted breed.

They dont need to mention 'breeds' because they now have a 'visual standard' in which to declare dogs. Think 22 point checklist, such as QLD.

So, if your Bull Breed doesn't have papers, but looks like a Bull Breed then they can declare it restricted. Doesnt matter whether you say it is an SBT Cross or whatever, "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...".

Edited by Ruffles