I Nearly Ran Over A Dog

MadWoofter

I had to duck home and was driving down a reasonably quiet street when this gorgeous Cav ran right out into the road in front of me. Gave me such a fright - I slammed on the brakes, then slowly drove forward praying like mad there wasn't a squashed dog on the road. Thank heavens I'd missed it, and it ran merrily off up the road, followed by another little cav. I followed them up a side street, and there they were in the driveway of this house - the garage door was open and the car doors were all open but no-one was around.

So I started yelling out 'hello' and this woman FINALLY came out, I said to her your dogs were running on the road and all she said was 'oh I was looking for her'.

So I politely told her that they were running down on the big road, and I'd nearly hit her dog and maybe it was a good idea to keep them in. She started yelling at me & told me to relax :eek:

Stoopid f****ng ignorant woman, I was so riled up I was going to give her a huge serve, but just walked away.

My heart is still pounding.

Rant over, thanks

Same happened to me yesterday with a SWF - ran straight across a main road in front of my car into a side street. I went downt the side street looking for it to see if it had a tag and I could ring the owner. Someone saw me looking for this dog and asked if I was alright.

"Yep just looking for this dog that ran across the road"

"that would be mine"

"Oh - you know it was on the main road playing chicken with traffic"

"He always gets away - my daughter was walking him, must be why he was off"

and she turned and went inside - no panic, not upset at all, and no daughter in site who was meant to be walking him.

Some people.

:mad Not cool.

I found a small dog outside my house a while back (with a council tag on luckily). I took her down to the local vet to call the ranger, since my boy had kennel cough so I couldn't take her into my house.

Vets found the owner, called and the owner apparently replied "oh yeah, she's been gone since last night. I can't come down until later, I'm not dressed". :eek: The vet staff couldn't believe it. Dog was back in my front yard again a week later.

If my dogs ever got out I would be a total mess, wandering the streets like a deranged person and calling everyone until I found them :(

I'd be a shaking mess if that were my dog and you came to me with that story. I'd be so mortified that she got out and I'd be truly grateful that you cared enough to let me know. Well, I'd be doing what Weasels said! One of my worst nightmares and touch wood, it hasn't happened in this household with any dog.

Good on you for stopping and letting her know, although it wasn't the reaction one would have hoped for. Makes me sad because it puts people off helping dogs out in the future. And sorry you got such a fright. :( Awful feeling.

Gee, I was DEVASTATED when my dogs got loose...I took a day off work to find them!! :eek: thankfully they were okay!!

I have almost hit a dog before.....but I haven't had the owners yell at me, they were actually very thankful.

:( your story sounds awful.....I hope it doesn't put you off helping other dogs in the future...people can be such arses :mad

Two of my goldens got out yesterday, i'd let them out of the pen and closed front gate, but the puppy can fit through the wire.

I usually leave lil ruby out to play with the big dogs for half an hour as i hand washing or tend the horses ect, but i had to come inside to bring the kitten and got distracted by a phone call and so on it 40 mins later i notice i had forgot ruby was out playing. i went out there and my heart sank as i walked around the house.

Only Chloe was home. So up and down the street i went screaming their names (we live in the country the smallest block around is 10 acres but most 200+) the power reading man came saw me as he was reading the meter told me he'd look out, and I rang the council (bloody good that does they don't even know their own laws told me they call me back when they knew) so i reported he chip no altho they don't have chip reading facilities cause it's only been compulsory to register dogs here for 12mths. I also ran the police because property owners have the right to shoot dogs if they cause problems to livestock and if the property owner says they did they did apparently so i was frantic at this point. Chaos 1yr came home through across the roads property but with out lil ruby 5 mth, oh i felt so bad then she doesn't usually leave his side.

I had also called the breeder of ruby because the chip was registered in her name by then.

Hours past and i was calling well into the night done up posters to put out next day when vet opened. and i was calling at 10:30 and got a mouthful of abuse from one of my neighbor but i kept calling for a few mins came inside pretty much in tears then at 11 tapping on glass from ruby OMG i tell ya never felt so relieved.

Edited by Angeluca