Sick Pup 7 Weeks...

Missymoo

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/226440-not-well-after-worming/page__gopid__5488717#entry5488717

Ok started in breeders thought I'd move rest here...

Ok so baby Freddie is on sub cut fluids and anti nausea tabs and anti biotics...he's still I'll. Weed are lighter in co our now though but he still hasn't poohed. He is also still vomiting. I will call my vet again today and see what she suggests. Any ideas?

Poor thing is flat as a tack. Vet says good bowel sounds and feel though. It stared yesterday mid morning and went downhill..

You need to give the treatment time to work. 24 hours is not long enough.

Seperate from the others & try & keep him warm in a constant temperature. Drinking but not eating is normal for a day or 2. Small frequent offerings of boiled/steamed chicken with no fat on it & boiled rice won't upset tummy & is the usual for tummy upsets. Nothing else.

A little vomit is fine but not if its heaps & often, then it is back to the vet.

If you were like this yourself you would not want to eat, instinct until tummy settles so force feeding is not good.

Hope he is on the mend soon. They can come up as quick as they go down.

Thanks Christina, Im a worry wart :) Hes been carried around with me in my babys old sling, and when I have to do stuff hes in a box with blankies and a weepad.

Not the best to carry him around. With a tummy problem he is best left to lie down & arrange himself to his own comfort. Scary when they get sick at such a young age.

Seems too be on the mend slowly but surely, even ate a wee bit of food tonight on his own.

Good to hear that he is improving and hopefully it is a just a one off illness. You have to wonder though why one puppy has an infection when the others don't. I wouldn't be selling this puppy any time soon, just in case he has some sort of immune system problem that allowed him to pick up the infection. Also check with other Cairn breeders to find out if anyone else has had puppies picking up infections.

There was a very long thread on DOL about 7 years ago about a Border Collie that was sold at 9 weeks after being ill with an infection at 6 weeks. The vets gave the all clear for the apparently recovered puppy to be sold but the puppy became ill again a few days after being sold. The whole mess ended up in an 18 month court case which the breeder eventually won but she was still out of pocket a lot of money and had all the stress of the whole ordeal. The puppy turned out to have what we now know is TNS, a faulty immune system that is eventually fatal. This case led to the development of the DNA test for TNS in the Border Collie, so no breeder will ever have to risk selling a puppy with this condition again. It is similar to faulty immune systems in many species so it is highly likely that also occurs in some other dog breeds.

Thanks all, I'm afraid I had him sent to rainbow bridge today, he rapidly declined again..yes I had him autopsied, his liver, although there was no shunt it was abnormal, but everything else was fine, vet is still stumped as am I as I have been googling since I got the results. I do feel better as I believe I made the right decision as he never would have been a healthy pup. Still breaks my heart though. If anyone has any thoughts, links or suggestions I would be interested as I will forward all this info on the pup to our breed health watch registry.

Edited for silly iPad autocorrect...blah

Edited by Missymoo

:hug:

Thanks all, I'm afraid I had him sent to rainbow bridge today, he rapidly declined again..yes I had him autopsied, his liver, although there was no shunt it was abnormal, but everything else was fine, vet is still stumped as am I as I have been googling since I got the results. I do feel better as I believe I made the right decision as he never would have been a healthy pup. Still breaks my heart though. If anyone has any thoughts, links or suggestions I would be interested as I will forward all this info on the pup to our breed health watch registry.

Edited for silly iPad autocorrect...blah

Sorry you lost the little guy but as you said you made the right decision :cry::hug: