Is There A Simpler Way To Vaccinations / Worms / Fleas Etc Etc?

GrumpySmurf

Hmm - I wouldn't be automatically worming my dog monthly so not sure it helps to pair it up in this way. And annual vaccinations are not necessarily the right protocol - but I agree that generally you will get a vet reminder for this.

I do it the old fashion way too - I have an actual paper wall calendar and everything gets put on it - shows, meetings, health stuff, heats for the bitches etc etc etc

You could probably do the same thing with a computer or phone appointment diary type thing - go through and set it all up and put in the appropriate reminder intervals and it should work fine.

Edited by Sandra777

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I am just confused as to what I need to do when. Am I correct in saying there are 4 things I need to worry about (Vaccination, heartworm, worm, fleas)?

Then it gets confusing which one needs doing weekly / monthly / 3 monthly / yearly!

And do they all have to be done throughout the year?

:confused: I am easily confused!

Pair it with something else that you have to do on a monthy basis....

ie pay rent - worm dog.

Vets usually send reminders about annual vaccinations.

Vaccination - to me this would be puppy shots then once at 14 months then never again, but for this one you will almost certainly get a reminder from the vet when it's due depending on the protocol you have discussed with them and the breeder and decided on for your animal.

Heartworm. Depends on what you choose to do. Daily, monthly or annually. The daily should be simple, monthly, stick it on a calendar (the packets come with actual stickers :laugh: ) or put it in the computer/phone diary as a recurring event. If it's annual it's a vet job and they will let you know.

Fleas - not something I do with any regularity (ticks, yes!) but the packets come with reminder stickers so do the same as monthly heartworm except if you don't have a problem and aren't treating for ticks, you really do not need to pour that stuff on the dog as a regular thing anyway.

Worming - apart from pups I don't worm as a routine thing only when there is an actual problem (fecal count) so can't really suggest anything except discuss the whole thing with the breeder and the vet and decide what is appropriate for you and your animal.

I used to worm and flea treat my dog on the first day of the month.One or the other had sticker sin the box and i put one on the calendar on all the first month days.

I kept the calendar page on the fridge .You can get cards with details of when puppy is due for vaccinations that also go on the fridge.I think i got mine from the vet.

You could also put a different reminder sticker on the calendar to remind you when it's time for a vaccination,

There are so many products on the market which cover different parasites and require different frequency of application from daily to monthly, quaterly and annually.

You need to talk to your vet about what you need to treat for - then you can discuss which products are best to cover thoes needs and match the frequency you wish to apply it.

Pet shops also sell products but Id prefer to buy them from someone who understands the pharmacokinetics of the drugs (at least until Im comfortable using the product).

Heartworm. Depends on what you choose to do. Daily, monthly or annually. The daily should be simple, monthly, stick it on a calendar (the packets come with actual stickers :laugh: ) or put it in the computer/phone diary as a recurring event. If it's annual it's a vet job and they will let you know.

Fleas - not something I do with any regularity (ticks, yes!) but the packets come with reminder stickers so do the same as monthly heartworm except if you don't have a problem and aren't treating for ticks, you really do not need to pour that stuff on the dog as a regular thing anyway.

Yep

I prefer to worm regularly - my dog is a scavanger and as I cant see internal parasites Id rather be on the safe side.

I vaccinate annually - requirements for most organisations are proof of that years vaccination also as I compete with my dog she comes into contact with other dogs and sometimes wild/feral animals. It is devastating to see your animal suffer or even lose them to something that is completely preventable. You only need to ask the parents who lost children to whooping cough last year.

Edited by RubyBlue

Just read the packet lol some are monthly some are every 3 months some do fleas and heartworm others do fleas and ticks so just read the back of the packet or the info sheet in side the box because there are alot of different products vaccs are yearly and your vet will remind you :)

OK, I'm still trying to get over my confusion. Kahlua was born on th 12th May 2011, so he is 17.7 weeks (4.1 months) old. He is currently 10.6kg and is a Lab X Poodle.

Vaccination: Done by vet on 03/08/2011, next one is due 03/08/2012 - easy enough

Worming: On ParaGard. Last one was 03/08/2011, so now should be every 3 months right? Should this be given perpetually for life every 3 months?

Fleas: On Comfortis. Last was 25/08/2011. So next one should be 20/09/2011. Should this be given perpetually for life every month?

Heart Worming: On NuHeart. Last one was 20/07/2011. I had forgotten about this and had not given him. Is this a problem?! Should I just give him a tablet now?

How could I somehow try and move the heartworm and fleas dates to fall on the 3rd of every month? Is that even a good idea as sometimes I will then have to give hime worming, heartworm and fleas tablet all on 1 day?!

I only flea treat as necessary with Comfortis which means for a couple of months over summer - I don't agree with putting unnecessary chemicals on the dog.

Worming - only something I do as necessary as opposed to as a matter of routine.

Vaccinations - don't vaccinate unless for KC for boarding.

Check with your vet but I doubt it would be an issue if wait a bit longer between some of the treatments so you can align treatments dates and then use a product like Sentinel Spectrum to cover fleas, worms and heartworm.

Vaccination: Done by vet on 03/08/2011, next one is due 03/08/2012 - easy enough

I keep my dogs' vaccination certificates in folders (one for each dog), along with all their papers (council rego, ANKC papers, puppy pre-school notes etc) so they don't get lost. I've also asked my vet to post out reminders when their vaccinations are due, which I get like clockwork every year.

Worming: On ParaGard. Last one was 03/08/2011, so now should be every 3 months right? Should this be given perpetually for life every 3 months?

Worming should be done every month until your puppy is 6 months old. Once he is 6 months old, you only need to worm every 3 months for life.

Fleas: On Comfortis. Last was 25/08/2011. So next one should be 20/09/2011. Should this be given perpetually for life every month?

Yes. Every month for life, which would be written on the packaging and instructions. I don't regularly flea or tick proof my dogs though -- unless I notice fleas on them.

Heart Worming: On NuHeart. Last one was 20/07/2011. I had forgotten about this and had not given him. Is this a problem?! Should I just give him a tablet now?

My dogs have had an annual ProHeart injection this year so I don't need to worry about heartworm. They won't be getting the injection next year though so I'll need look around to see what else is available.

Hope this helps you out!