There Is No Dog Bite Problem.

Blackdogs

Politicians seem to be under the impression that we can wipe out dog attacks. This is never going to happen. As long as we live with dogs there will be dog bites, just as living with cars will beget car accidents, living with people will ensure violence and living with stairs will mean scores of trip-related accidents.

Statistically, dogs cause much fewer injuries than do cars. I imagine people and stairs probably fall into the same category. If you think about it, it's amazing that we can live with another powerful species who don't speak our language and come out of it so well.

It doesn't matter whether or not we manage to reduce the number of dog bites, as long as there are any dog bites at all there will be media hype creating public panic. So when does the regulation stop? When there are no more breeds to eradicate? When dogs can no longer leave their yards without a leash and muzzle?

There is no 'dog bite problem'. There is just 'life' and living will always entail a landmine of potential dangers, but limiting life to the point where it's not worth living is not the answer. This is where we are heading with over-regulation, not just of dogs and dog ownership but in many other areas.

Once legislation is passed it is rarely abolished and we are living in a litigious society with a mainstream media that feeds off public fear. As a result, legislation is stacked upon legislation in an increasingly suffocating and repressive living environment.

The perceived 'dog bite problem' is just another symptom of this media hype/moral panic/legislation carousel.

Benjamin Frankin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".

These words are as relevant today as they ever were, though I would add the word 'perceived' to the above quotation in this case, as the mindlesss destruction of harmless pets will do nothing to increase safety.

Education, not legislation is the key.

I encourage you all to write to your local MP expressing your grievances and paste the letter here so that other, perhaps less eloquent or more time-strapped members can recycle it.

If these laws are expanded to include ANKC registered breeds then we need to come together as a group, pool our finances/resources and hire a good lawyer to fight the case in court. Extreme legislation needs to be met with landmark court rulings to halt the gradual erosion of rights.

This is is a fight from which we cannot afford to back down, and thankfully I know that the people of this community have the passion and dedication to make history happen.

:thumbsup:

The Governments, looking at banning various dog breeds following incidents throughout the country ALL seized upon hysterically by our media perhaps as a follow up to dangerous dog laws etc. will look at banning all Holden commodores as they May be involved in more accidents than Fords. This analagy is about as stupid as the Governments current intentions.

Really well said but.......

Just one concern

"If these laws are expanded to include ANKC registered breeds then we need to come together as a group, pool our finances/resources and hire a good lawyer to fight the case in court. Extreme legislation needs to be met with landmark court rulings to halt the gradual erosion of rights."

ANKC registered breeds? If more had been done earlier by MORE people we wouldn't be in the position we are finding ourselves today. How about doing something now for all the other dogs currently affected.

Really well said but.......

Just one concern

"If these laws are expanded to include ANKC registered breeds then we need to come together as a group, pool our finances/resources and hire a good lawyer to fight the case in court. Extreme legislation needs to be met with landmark court rulings to halt the gradual erosion of rights."

ANKC registered breeds? If more had been done earlier by MORE people we wouldn't be in the position we are finding ourselves today. How about doing something now for all the other dogs currently affected.

You're absolutely right. Targeting Pitbulls and their crosses is outrageous. But people need to be affected before they're in a position to take it to court, so we need to hear from those people.

Edited by Blackdogs

I suggest changing the title though - a little girl got mauled to death - that is a very big problem.

I guess I meant to make people think, with that title, so they actually came in and read the text. The use of the term 'problem' here refers not to the nature of dog bites/attacks but their prevalence.

:thumbsup: - but here, you are preaching to the converted.

this should be published far & wide.

I agree. Blackdogs needs to send that out to the newspapers. Well done, BD!

Thanks. I've sent this in to the Herald Sun as per your suggestion. I'm dubious as to whether they will publish it on account of the inclusion of main stream media slamming, however.

Benjamin Frankin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".

Franklin?

Still, I'm glad it's hard to own automatic and semi-automatic firearms in this country. ;)

I suggest changing the title though - a little girl got mauled to death - that is a very big problem.

It is not a widespread problem, one preventable tragedy does not equate to the nations dogs running amok devouring residents daily as the hysteria would suggest.

We have problem with a small percentage of moronic owners.