Gold Coast Breeder Permit Scheme

Leema

I read through and while there were some basic care aspects, which I thought were pretty good, there was more of the usual dribble regarding , what you should bred, when you should breed it and what you cannot breed it to.

Another laughable part was

While there is an oversupply of cats and dogs in

pounds and shelters, breeding should be kept

to a minimum.

$396 what a waste of money that is.

I also wonder about these " enclosures", they look significantly big enough to require a DA

Does this part mean they are discouraging getting and breeding from irresponsible breeders? Sounds like it to me. If the puppies parents have to be tested.

Sourcing Animals.

Guidelines:

Dogs and cats, including puppies and kittens,

should only be acquired from responsible

sources that meet accepted standards including:

a) Local Government requires for a breeder

permit, where they exist. In Gold Coast City,

breeders of animals must meet the standards

outlined in this code to be eligible for a

breeder permit.

b) Standards of recognised Breed Societies.

c) Animals supplied are healthy, bright, alert

and sociable.

d) The supplier is knowledgeable about breed

types (the characteristics of the breed, such

as size, coat, and temperament) and breedspecific genetic problems, and provides

documentation that the kittens’/puppies’

parents and grandparents have been tested

(where possible) to ensure they are free of

these genetic problems.

e) A health care program is provided to

breeding stock and litters that includes

worming, flea control, vaccination and

heartworm prevention, as recommended by

a local veterinarian.

f) Documentation of health care and medical

history is provided with each kitten/puppy,

cat or dog.

g) A health guarantee is provided

Edited by Crazy Daisy

http://www.goldcoast...2.aspx?pid=9027

What are your thoughts about this scheme?

I have my own ideas but would like to see thoughts here before I comment. :)

Is there anyone in the Gold Coast that can comment about this scheme through first hand experience?

We have had a couple fo issues. This is a pilot program being assessed by RSPCA and councils to see if it should be introduced elsewhere.

Having to have a breeder permit in order to own an entire dog is an issue.People should be able to decide on this and whilst lowered registration fees are a good thing either entire or a breeder is in my opinion not on.

We have one member who owns the only champion bitch of her breed in the country and does want to breed with her at a later date - maybe. In order to keep her entire she has to apply for a breeders permit now and have her premises inspected .The premises she is in are not suitable to breed her breed of dogs and if she does decide to breed the dog at a later date it will be after she moves. So she cant keep an entire dog without a permit and cant get a permit until after she moves and may never require a permit because she may not ever decide she will breed her.

Once again same old story anyway they have focused on the threat of enforcing greater restrictionsand heavier penaltiesunless people comply. These are empty threats, because peopel are not complying and there is no funding for enforcement which basically doesn't exist. So while this may

scare a few owners into grudging compliance, it also causes a corresponding measure of cooperation and support to be lost from the group [us] that was already compliant.

They are seen as scoff laws and whilst some simply ignore them and carry on as always some go underground and hide for fear of being found in violation of the law.

No one is supposed to be able to advertise a pup for sale without their breeder permit number but when the council was questioned as to why no ads carried these the answer was they cant enforce it. What's the point - its only alienated the most responsible dog breeders in the community, and has no affect on the irresponsible ones they were intended to reach. They created a situation where people are worried about permits being removed or denied.

Once again you see the result of animal welfare input into breeder's activities and missing a big chunk to make it more than just another restriction on those who were doing it right. At most they may get more dogs desexed but then more desexed dogs will be dumped.

Edited by Steve

Yep I can see all the BYBers lining up to get their breeding permits.It might happen though if they were given a hefty fine for not having a permit .Or their dogs impounded for a repeat offence.

Yep and in the mean time its more money , more inspections, more compliance from us. Word is not even us are doing it anyway.

Edited by Steve

I don't think there should be more restrictions on registered breeders who ,yes,are doing the right thing already .You don't see large numbers of Pure breeds in the pound.

BYBers are largely responsible for the over population of animals ;so they are the ones who need some restrictions put on them.There will always be those who want to cross breed their dogs ,but why should they be given free rein to do so often to the detriment of the animals they produce.?If they want to breed whatever breed or cross they should have to have a permit and there should be a group that they can join that can encourage good breeding practices like what happens with The breeders of pure breed dogs.In short everyone who wants to breed animals pure breed or not would be registered and be required to adhere to good breeding practices.Any BYBer who does not comply with this should be fined .If they continue to breed without a permit then their dogs could be impounded.This could and should be done without any impact on those who are already registered breeders of pure breed dogs and already doing it the right way.The idea is make BYB ing harder and less appealing to people and go some way i believe to reducing the over population of unwanted pets.

Ah but Purdie you missed the trap. You cant have laws for one group and not another - its against the law. :eek:

So anything we make "them" do we also have to be stuck with ourselves. But guess what - not all of us are the good guys either. :eek:

There is no dog "overpopulation " problem, just ask anyone who's on a waiting list , has waited years or cannot find a pup for sale in their breed of choice.

There is an unwanted dog problem but let's not confuse that with excessive breeding, dogs are largely unwanted because they do not live upto owners expectations.

Anyone with concerns should consider giving Mark Sheppard a call - he is the Govt and Agency Liaison officer with DQ who is responsible for negotiating with the various councils. he has done an excellent job in my area...Moreton Bay....and he's very easy to talk to....phone 0458 065 174, Email: [email protected]

Edited by Fit for a King

I don't think there should be more restrictions on registered breeders who ,yes,are doing the right thing already .You don't see large numbers of Pure breeds in the pound.

BYBers are largely responsible for the over population of animals ;so they are the ones who need some restrictions put on them.There will always be those who want to cross breed their dogs ,but why should they be given free rein to do so often to the detriment of the animals they produce.?If they want to breed whatever breed or cross they should have to have a permit and there should be a group that they can join that can encourage good breeding practices like what happens with The breeders of pure breed dogs.In short everyone who wants to breed animals pure breed or not would be registered and be required to adhere to good breeding practices.Any BYBer who does not comply with this should be fined .If they continue to breed without a permit then their dogs could be impounded.This could and should be done without any impact on those who are already registered breeders of pure breed dogs and already doing it the right way.The idea is make BYB ing harder and less appealing to people and go some way i believe to reducing the over population of unwanted pets.

Ah but Purdie you missed the trap. You cant have laws for one group and not another - its against the law. :eek:

So anything we make "them" do we also have to be stuck with ourselves. But guess what - not all of us are the good guys either. :eek:

What we are making them do is; to do the same as we -registered breeders- are already doing.So yes everyone -will- then be under the same laws.

Registered breeders for the most part aren't breeding and keeping dogs by those guidelines. Many choose to raise and keep their dogs in vastly differnt ways, to what we are told we should be doing.

There is no dog "overpopulation " problem, just ask anyone who's on a waiting list , has waited years or cannot find a pup for sale in their breed of choice.

yes so true, at one point I was getting 10 calls a day for my Shepherd litter and with so many nice families its going to be sad when I can't offer them a pup.

yes so true, at one point I was getting 10 calls a day for my Shepherd litter and with so many nice families its going to be sad when I can't offer them a pup.

There is no over population of pure breed dogs .And it's good that people need to go on a waiting list .There is an

over population of animals from Farming and BYBers.Just look at the page after page of animals ,especially cats up for adoption at pounds and shelters; not counting the ones that have already been put to sleep,or the ones that won't be adopted and then will be put to sleep.You don't have to go on a waiting list to get a mixed breed there are still more of them than there are people wanting to adopt them.I would call this an over population.

again this is not true, puppy farmers and most BYBer's don't have any trouble in selling or giving away their pups. The dogs find themselves in pounds because they are unwanted for whatever reason, be it behavioural, not developing into what the owner thought it would, not suitable for their lifestyle, sick or it's too much trouble to bail them out.

There are litters that end up in pounds but they are in the minority, compared to the number of litters bred each year.