Clippers

Tracka

I have Andis Pro 2 speeds.

You will need a range of blades. I use a 30# for feet face and tail on the blacks and a 15# for face on the white and tummies on all of them.

I use a 4# on the body of white girl in winter and the boys get #5. In summer the boys get a 7# and the girl gets #5. I don't use combs but do use a leg blade.

If you are planning to do them yourself, you'll also need a dryer and scissors to do a decent job.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd not buy Wahls and I can't wait until the last pairs I use pack it in and are replaced.

I'd go with Andis if you want a pair that are reliable and feel good in your hands.

The blades I use for a basic Poodle clip off are a 5 or a 7 over the body, 10 on the face and tail and a 5/8 foot blade. What you'll need will depend on the desired lenght you wish to keep the coat at.

If you are happy to brush and learn to scissor, then you can just buy a 10 and a 5/8

Whatever you do, don't go for the cheaper clippers- They just don't cut thru the fur!

Basic would be #5 for body + #15 for face, feet, base of tail.

If dog's skin not sensitive #30 instead of the #15.

"Skiptooth" blades go thru dirty/ few knots better, while "F" (for finish) blades give nicer, velvety finish.

I bought combs, but only used them once as dogs "airdried" back then.

Fur really needs to be blo-dried and very well brushed out to use them.

The usual rule is brush, comb, bath, THEN clip.

Dirty fur blunts blades quicker.

Confess I'm often slack with grooming and- clip, then bath to save drying time.

I only bought a dryer when moved to Canberra AND have a standard with a very thick coat AND a rental with carpet all thru house.

Definitely gives a much better finish and great to avoid damp, smelly dogs in wet weather.

#7 skiptooth blade is good for a clip-off if coat has become very knotty due to lack of brushing.

I've been slack with brushing a standard with very thick coat and have just got one to do his knotted legs.

#7 is for a cut-off for legs that are knotted.

Could I ask what size blades for cocker spaniels please? Sorry for hi-jacking :D

Depends on how you plan to groom it

Full clip off

or hand strip the top coat correctly & clip the throat,face,ears etc etc.

We have all blade sizes being a salon so it hard to say this blade & this because also thickness of coat plays a factor what works for one could be to fine for another