What Breed?

wings

we had one around horses when I was young. never a prob, also depends how bomb proof are the horses :)

if a whippet is bought up not to chase they wont, I have friend who has chooks & a couple of Whipps, they are fine she has taught them not to chase. If they taught from day 1 & you stay on top it should be ok

oh make sure you have a good recall with them.

I have had situation where my boy escaped from my daughter at Kcc park car park , he went flying past me( I was at our club rooms), then we spotted a loose shepherd that was comming straight for him, I didnt chase, i just call "Come" he did a 180 on his hind legs & came straight back to me :D What a recall that was, it stunned the instructors & a couple of members :laugh:

My dog was kicked by my horse 2 times he was a gsd and was hurt not to badly tho thank god but yer my thought was if that had happened to a dog like a whippet it might not have been such good news

Edit to say my horse is a 17 hand TB and hers is a clyd cross with big feet

Edited by Atanquin

griffons are happy friendly little chappies :D

my boy loves to run around the yard but also equally happy sitting on your lap having cuddles

I have four other dogs - two very large and two medium and he has just joined in with them no problems

when I took him to my friends place who has masses of coolies as soon as we arrived he was out running with her lot whilst my coolie who was bred there was finding it overwhelming, the griffon certainly didn't

and personality plus dogs - he is a laugh a minute!

As for shedding, I couldn't say, with two golden retreivers any of his hair would just probably be absorbed anyway but seriously he doesn't seem bad at all, he is a smooth coat

mochawithlatte.jpg

nomore.jpg

I think whippets can be fine around horses. My cousins and aunt all have some horses, whipppets, one greyhound. Another cousin has arab horses, an airedale and a huge kelpie x. I think it's about how you introduce them. I've known three cattle dogs from three different households that love to swing on horses tails, and bizarrely, most of the horses I know give up trying to kick them or just don't care if their tail is pulled out short. ACD are excellent at ducking a kick.

Dalmations are supposed to be good around horses, but I'm not sure. Several horsey people I know had dalmations and then decided they weren't the breed for them. Not sure if the horses had anything to do with it or not.

Cairn Terrier x are pretty stupid around horses. They don't attack the horses or chase them but they don't keep out the way either. My (late) horse picked his back foot up to take a step and the dog ended up on top of the hoof as it went forward and down and both animals kept walking their separate ways like nothing had happened.

griffons are happy friendly little chappies :D

my boy loves to run around the yard but also equally happy sitting on your lap having cuddles

I have four other dogs - two very large and two medium and he has just joined in with them no problems

when I took him to my friends place who has masses of coolies as soon as we arrived he was out running with her lot whilst my coolie who was bred there was finding it overwhelming, the griffon certainly didn't

and personality plus dogs - he is a laugh a minute!

As for shedding, I couldn't say, with two golden retreivers any of his hair would just probably be absorbed anyway but seriously he doesn't seem bad at all, he is a smooth coat

mochawithlatte.jpg

nomore.jpg

Oh My. I want one! Time to do some research.

OP I have a Boston Terrier, he's the best but I have no idea how he would be around horses, fine around other animals but never been near a horse...

I have Whippets and live on acerage.

I have cats, guinea pigs - that have escaped and been right under a curious Whippets nose before - cattle, sheep and I do have a horse but he is at bootcamp at the moment.

We have chooks but not near the house they are down at the orchard.

Mine are not allowed to chase them and that is it. They are allowed to chase bunnies but only when released to do so. I can also call them off a bunny. They are never allowed to chase roos.

I know of people that take them out with horses adn theya re fine and once mature and worked up to it can go quite a way. I would not ahev any dog around a horse that kicks so whilst a Whippet may not stand up to a kick, well I have seen cattle dogs and kelpies etc die from kicks so I do not think the breed matters, I wouldn't take my dog out if there was any danger of it being kicked by my horse.

My dogs are not allowed into the paddocks unless by invitation which is very rare and I usually have to tell them twice as they stop and check to make sure, which I like. One will try and chase wild birds from time to time, but that is stopped and he is called off as soon as I see it happening. My dogs have a very good recall but I train them for it from day dot. I have five acres around the house. I find as a breed Whippets do tend to self exercise a lot, so if you wander around the five acres they do at least 5 times that distance zooming around. Mine will also chase balls, and grab toys and run around chasing each other. I was pleasently suprised by how little exercise they happily and healthily survive on.

They don't smell, lose very little hair and look very nice draped over your lounge :D

They don't smell, lose very little hair and look very nice draped over your lounge :D

And of course they come in enough colours so they can match the lounge as well ;)

I've been a whippet fan for a long time, looks like they may finally suit!

And of course they come in enough colours so they can match the lounge as well ;)

Whippets tend to be popular with the horse folk. If you go around the horse trucks at the aggie shows, there are generally a few Whippets around.

The important question is probably how the horses are with dogs. Any dog is at risk from a dog hating horse - and a lot of mares in particular won't tolerate dogs around. It pays to be cautious.

I've met most whippets out at horse shows :)

I'll be working to teach the whole "don't go in the paddock" thing a few others have worked on. I trust most of my horses but of course all it takes is a stallion in a bad mood to decide not to tolerate them and it's the recipe for an unwanted vet visit!

It's not just dog-hating horses! My corgi ended up with a lifelong phobia of everything equine after some friendly, dog-loving donkeys took one look and came galloping over to play. They were quite pushy about it and she was only a puppy. Even when I picked her up they were following us and trying to nibble on her in my arms. I take it the dogs next door and the donkeys had a somewhat boisterous relationship.

It's not just dog-hating horses! My corgi ended up with a lifelong phobia of everything equine after some friendly, dog-loving donkeys took one look and came galloping over to play. They were quite pushy about it and she was only a puppy. Even when I picked her up they were following us and trying to nibble on her in my arms. I take it the dogs next door and the donkeys had a somewhat boisterous relationship.

I'd never trust an unknown donkey around dogs. They get used as livestock guardians for a reason... they have a good set of teeth as well as hooves and many aren't reluctant to use them on any predator species.

Edited by poodlefan

Whippets tend to be popular with the horse folk. If you go around the horse trucks at the aggie shows, there are generally a few Whippets around.

The important question is probably how the horses are with dogs. Any dog is at risk from a dog hating horse - and a lot of mares in particular won't tolerate dogs around. It pays to be cautious.

My Clydesdale struck out and killed our Ostrich (which came with her when we bought her and they had lived together for ages, she had also struck at a dog before. I also had a young colt - now gelding, that would try and chase and jump on anything that got in his paddock. I wouldn't risk any of my animals in with my horses. My old retiree however would let them wander around her legs and lick them, but the dogs were always sent away just in case.

Edited by OSoSwift