Premium Foods Vs ................

Larrikin

It isn't that simple & there are some premium foods i would nnever dream to feed .

Not all premium is suited to all breeds so you need to now what breeds have what issues to find the right one & that may also mean non premium for which there are plenty of good options,

We hand out diet sheets with our puppies & as an example 1 puppy owner changed the diet due to info handed to them ,pup looks like crap due to the change & now the owners have gone back to our diet after we where horrfied at the change in the dog

I would suggest treading carefully in this aspect

To explain what to the cllients??

To explain the health benefits to feeding a premium food.

The problem with that is that every dog is an individual and finding the best food for that dog is the key.

It may well be one of the higher end supermarket foods that is the answer.

For some dogs it may be no processed foods at all, raw may be the key.

It is not written in stone that all dogs will thrive on a whiz band no grain, no fillers, mortgage the house type food.

If it doesn't suit the dog it is crap in a bag despite the price tag or factory it comes from.

I don't really understand the premium food label anyway. Clearly some commercial foods are complete crap, and some are a bit better. But what makes a food "premium"? The price tag? The fact it says "natural" or "organic" on the packet?

As for myself, I've toured behind the scenes in a couple of slaughterhouses, and several pet food companies, and I've seen what kind of crap gets put into dog food, and how good they are at disguising these ingredients when they write the packet labels! Nothing that includes what I've seen has a business calling itself premium, but some still did.

Yes, unfortunately there is no one brand or type of dog food that will suit every dog.

Some of the "premium" brands do a good prescription diet range, which is an advantage for a pet with a specific health problem.

As Staranais said, the food companies are very good at hiding what they actually put into foods.

Pedigree, advance and nutro are all owned by the same company which is something I just recently found out (its the same company that makes Mars Bars!!!)

Yes, unfortunately there is no one brand or type of dog food that will suit every dog.

Some of the "premium" brands do a good prescription diet range, which is an advantage for a pet with a specific health problem.

As Staranais said, the food companies are very good at hiding what they actually put into foods.

Pedigree, advance and nutro are all owned by the same company which is something I just recently found out (its the same company that makes Mars Bars!!!)

And your point is ?

I think sometimes the food company employees don't know what goes in themselves - they buy "frozen meat" or "grain meal" from another supplier, and don't know what these ingredients actually are!

Most of the raw meat ingredients I saw being labelled as pet food were actually OK - there were some diseased things included that I wouldn't personally feed raw, but mostly it was just healthy parts of the animal that people rarely want to eat, like lungs and trachea.

It was how the meat was stored that shocked me. For interest, I've seen:

* Meat "stored" at room temperature for hours

* Meat pieces dropped onto a dusty, dirty floor then put right back into the batch

* Factories in a disgusting state of hygiene - dried blood, dust and muck all over the floor and over the workers' aprons

I also, with my own eyes, saw trays of stale and slightly mouldy bread ground up and included in a premium food. These were listed on the dog food label as grains.

I don't know what my point is, and I know this rant is slightly off topic, sorry. Clearly most dogs are fed commercial dog food, and most dogs do well on it (better than they'd do on a haphazard, unbalanced home made diet, anyway). I guess I'm just very skeptical about the idea of "premium" dog foods. I don't think I'd believe a food was really premium unless I saw the manufacturing process myself - including where all the ingredients came from.

Edited by Staranais

The problem with that is that every dog is an individual and finding the best food for that dog is the key.

It may well be one of the higher end supermarket foods that is the answer.

For some dogs it may be no processed foods at all, raw may be the key.

It is not written in stone that all dogs will thrive on a whizz bang no grain, no fillers, mortgage the house type food.

If it doesn't suit the dog it is crap in a bag despite the price tag or factory it comes from.

:thumbsup: