Ticks...

katetk

Hello dolers

Well, it has been years since I have logged on but really need some help after a terrible terrible week. Last Tuesday our cairn terrier got a tick, rushed her to our vet and she was home Wednesday afternoon - full recovery from that. Unfortunately our 9 year old westie, was rushed to the emergency vet late Friday night also with a tick, came good Saturday, they kept him in overnight again, called Sunday morning when he was showing weakness in legs (had not previously) , called again that afternoon to run more bloods and shave him and do xray, 10 mins after that they called to say we had to get there... And make the most terrible awful decision ever :(

To, my question though before I start crying again...we are now obviously paranoid. Our cairn, had a tick bath and wearing advantix collar, plus daily checks. We had already booked people to come and rip out a lot of trees and shrubs before all of this, and they are coming Thursday and Friday.. My concern is that this will disturb the ticks that are obviously living in our back yard. I am planning on keeping isobel (cairn) away from this away while everything settles or what not,

I have read about lime being sprinkled on the ground for fleas... Does this work for ticks ? Is there anything I can put on the ground that will kill them? That obviously is not going to be toxic to dogs/children too? It will basically be dirt the area that is getting cleared.

Any tips would be great

Thanks

K

Firstly I am very sad to hear your story I feel for. We had a tic issue on the weekend ourselves, but it was due to lack of protection on a young puppy fortunately with a much much better outcome. I cant comment on advantix collars but we live on a cattle property in South East QLD, we have cattle literally in the yard next to our dogs (really big bull this week actually)and I have seen para tics on them and on the horses many times. All of our dogs have preventic collars on them which are changed on the 1st of each month(except the little guy) and I have never (touch wood) had a tic problem so I would recommend them. My only other suggestion would be to use frontline spray on the bedding (it smells like the stuff we use to keep the tics off the horses but it works). I believe nymph stage tics can live quite happily in the dirt so prevention may be your best option!!

Hello dolers

Well, it has been years since I have logged on but really need some help after a terrible terrible week. Last Tuesday our cairn terrier got a tick, rushed her to our vet and she was home Wednesday afternoon - full recovery from that. Unfortunately our 9 year old westie, was rushed to the emergency vet late Friday night also with a tick, came good Saturday, they kept him in overnight again, called Sunday morning when he was showing weakness in legs (had not previously) , called again that afternoon to run more bloods and shave him and do xray, 10 mins after that they called to say we had to get there... And make the most terrible awful decision ever :(

To, my question though before I start crying again...we are now obviously paranoid. Our cairn, had a tick bath and wearing advantix collar, plus daily checks. We had already booked people to come and rip out a lot of trees and shrubs before all of this, and they are coming Thursday and Friday.. My concern is that this will disturb the ticks that are obviously living in our back yard. I am planning on keeping isobel (cairn) away from this away while everything settles or what not,

I have read about lime being sprinkled on the ground for fleas... Does this work for ticks ? Is there anything I can put on the ground that will kill them? That obviously is not going to be toxic to dogs/children too? It will basically be dirt the area that is getting cleared.

Any tips would be great

Thanks

K

Our older GSD had a tick collar on (replaced every 3 weeks - was supposed to last 3 months) and he got a tick almost under the tick collar which had been replaced 3 days before.

The last tick he had nearly killed him - it had started to affect his breathing before it was discovered but thankfully he pulled through.

We have used Advantix, Frontline, tick collars, etc and found they just didn't work. We are now using Permoxin - we mix the permoxin up into a 1 litre pump spray bottle and drench the dog before they go to work and when they arrive home (because that is where they pick up the ticks).

I have been tempted to use Proban ... but they seem a bit expensive for large dogs.

I just realized Harvey is my profile pic :(

That's what we have prevetix collar, not advatix.

My vet mentioned that pro ban is getting phased out as aust. Is the only country still using it?

Think I will add frontline to the list. And will hopefully hear back from her breeder and get him to strip her right back.

Bloody awful things they are!!

Forget about Frontline unless you use the spray. Advantix or Proban.

I am sorry about your dog :( I lost two dogs to ticks, it leaves you feeling quite vulnerable to your garden. There are sprays you can buy at Bunnings, my parents have success with this.

Something else that can help control ticks is trying to eliminate anything bringing them into your yard in the first place; possums, rats, mice and feral cats can all bring ticks into your yard and having control measures for them may help if you have issues with this.

Remember if you are spraying your yard, do it in weekly intervals for three weeks - that way, you can hit that laid their eggs deep down the soil, especially if it's loose or sandy soil.

Good luck!

Thanks, we are ripping everything out of the back of the yard -ferns, natives everything, hopefully that will eliminate anything bringing them in. And Let me sun To dry everything out, I read humid, moist areas are what ticks like...It's weird in our old house, same suburb we had many possums and not one tick, here i could not even say if I have seen one, or any other critter..

Clyde - were the sprays from bunnings for ticks specifically or all bugs? It is awful isn't it.. I running out and checking our cairn every time she scratches or goes right up the back.. Totally paranoid.

I'm so sorry. :( Ticks are horrid little things. One of my fears.

All the chemicals we buy and they aren't even killing fleas anymore.

Food grade diatomaceous earth won't hurt either way. It sticks to and kills invertebrates like ticks and fleas, using the right grade is apparently harmless to us and pets. That will probably be my backup this flea and tick season.

Food grade diatomaceous earth won't hurt either way. It sticks to and kills invertebrates like ticks and fleas, using the right grade is apparently harmless to us and pets. That will probably be my backup this flea and tick season.

Where do u buy that?

One of our dogs has been at the vets since Sunday morning with tick poisoning, hopefully she will be able to come home tomorrow, she is fine in herself, but still has no gag reflex. We don't even live in a paralysis tick area, have been here for 20 years and have only had a couple of them over the time, but I notice the horse has a few on her now, so probably with all the rain that we have had up this way this year and the growth of vegetation around the place. We have had possums here for as long as we have been here, but have more than our share of bandicoots at the moment, which are also tick carriers. Now we are paranoid looking for ticks on all the other dogs.

Where do u buy that?

A few niche suppliers like this one. There is industrial grade not suitable for humans or pets so you just need to make sure it's the right one.

We don't even live in a paralysis tick area, have been here for 20 years and have only had a couple of them over the time, but I notice the horse has a few on her now, so probably with all the rain that we have had up this way this year and the growth of vegetation around the place. We have had possums here for as long as we have been here, but have more than our share of bandicoots at the moment, which are also tick carriers. Now we are paranoid looking for ticks on all the other dogs.

Bandicoots are very common tick carriers. We have them in the bush reserve behind our house and have bird wire fencing to below ground level to keep them out of the yard. Possums however are impossible to keep out. I have seen a large Eastern Water Dragon with a large tick under one eye, so I guess any living creature can be a carrier of them.

After a friend's experience of having her Keeshund spend two long bouts at the Vet with ticks and switching to PREVENTIC collars....I now use them too. My friend had used Advantage, then Advantix and her dog still got a tick. His coat was kept short during summer but was still very thick and woolly that they missed the ticks. He did not get another tick after wearing a Preventic collar though. They used to live on the hill opposite us, well into bushland. We are in a very bad area for ticks as Clyde can attest. She used to live nearby.

A neighbour was concerned about the 'nasty chemicals' in standard tick treatments and tried a new non-toxic 'herbal' tick preventative device (I don't know the name) on her elderly dog's collar. He died from a tick the next month. :(

Nothing beats daily or even twice daily checking though...even when using any of the tick preventatives.

HOw awful. So sorry to hear of your loss.

If you're up for spraying your yard, look into Spinosad type sprays used for horticulture. They are used in vineyards for managing various sucking pests, and are also an ingredient in some tick remedies. In vineyards, they are accepted by organic growers, and can be used right up to harvest -- no one has been able to find any harmful effects on mammals.

I used Proban on my working dogs in Queensland, but still like you lost my boy.

I used to check them twice a day, but he had one I missed at the end of his tail.

But I have also had a vet bring back a dog, even when his backlegs had nearly gone.

So there is hope.

Bandicoots are major vectors for paralysis ticks.

You also need to check yourself, if the dogs are getting them you might as well.

I took the dogs for a swim everyday, it made the ticks easier to see when they were wet.

I had a Blue Healer and a Lab, the healer hardly ever got ticks, but the lab always did.

They went everywhere together, so I think in was the double coat the healer had.