I Don't Understand Why ...

RiverStar-Aura

I ventured into the local pet store today just because I like having a look and I found a woman contemplating spending $2500 on a "pure bred" Frenchie. :eek:

I pointed out to this lady that if she was quite happy spending that amount of money, that she'd be better off buying one from a registered breeder because that way she'd know exactly what she was getting. The poor little guy was 12 weeks old and in the glass cage completely alone. Did I feel sorry for him? Sure. But I know I would've gone to a breeder rather than spending that amount of money on a dog of questionable breeding.

Now I should say that this is the same pet shop I bought Zeus from two and a half years ago but this was before I knew anything about pet shop puppies and BYBs. I don't regret buying Zeus because he's an absolutely gorgeous boy, but it saddens me when I think about where he probably came from. Now I just hope to talk to people contemplating the puppies and kittens they're looking at whenever I go in there.

Poor Frenchie all alone in a glass cage... :(

That price is just about the going rate for a Frenchie, I hope that the person who buys it realises that they have to be careful about their sensitivity to heat and swimming and choking hazards :o

Most Frenchie breeders I talk to are so careful who get their puppies, I can't believe one has ended up in a pet shop in the first place!!!! :cry:

I was surprised too Sammie. They don't seem to be a very common breed -- especially around my area -- and I was shocked to see him in there.

It never surprises me to see maltese crosses or other SWFs -- I've even seen "pure bred" Australian Terriers, who were silver (obviously not Aussies) -- but never the "rarer" breeds.

Frenchies are gorgeous little guys!! And I really :love: little Asti!!

Edited for grammar. :o

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Not everyone wanting to buy a puppy knows about buyng from breeders, and if they do, a lot consider anyone who bungs two dogs together to make puppies, a breeder.

For quite a number of people buying a pet means going to a pet store.

Then there are those who've been turned away by breeders, it doesn't stop them wanting a puppy, it just makes them widen their search to include pet stores.

That price is just about the going rate for a Frenchie, I hope that the person who buys it realises that they have to be careful about their sensitivity to heat and swimming and choking hazards :o

Most Frenchie breeders I talk to are so careful who get their puppies, I can't believe one has ended up in a pet shop in the first place!!!! :cry:

Not judging, but reading that is it irresponcible to breed a dog that has that number of sensitivitys? I loev the look of Frenchies but never knew they were fragile...

Not everyone wanting to buy a puppy knows about buyng from breeders, and if they do, a lot consider anyone who bungs two dogs together to make puppies, a breeder.

For quite a number of people buying a pet means going to a pet store.

Then there are those who've been turned away by breeders, it doesn't stop them wanting a puppy, it just makes them widen their search to include pet stores.

Thats true and in honesty some breeders come off quite snoody and hollier the thou.

That's sad. A few weeks ago one of the other local pet stores, the only one that sells dogs and cats had my breed (dalmatians)going for only a hundred less than I paid for a purebred and papered bitch. They also had a "labradoodle" for $900 :eek:

I saw a guy looking at the dogs and said quite loudly "900 for a mutt!" and laughed.

Not only did they not spell dalmatian right (dalmatian like the coast in Croatia, not dalmation) but had no good info on their special dietary needs AND all the dogs had kennel cough.

I will just mention that I HATE this pet store, and only go in there as I work in a pet store and they are our "competition" on other products such as frontline/advantix and other animal supplies.

That's sad. A few weeks ago one of the other local pet stores, the only one that sells dogs and cats had my breed (dalmatians)going for only a hundred less than I paid for a purebred and papered bitch. They also had a "labradoodle" for $900 :eek:

I saw a guy looking at the dogs and said quite loudly "900 for a mutt!" and laughed.

Not only did they not spell dalmatian right (dalmatian like the coast in Croatia, not dalmation) but had no good info on their special dietary needs AND all the dogs had kennel cough.

I will just mention that I HATE this pet store, and only go in there as I work in a pet store and they are our "competition" on other products such as frontline/advantix and other animal supplies.

At least your petstore doesn't sell pets except for fish. Last time I was in "that" pet store, there was a poor cattle dog cross in a glass cage continuously chasing it's own tail. :cry: I only went in there to get some weed for my fish...I ended up in your store ;)

Not judging, but reading that is it irresponcible to breed a dog that has that number of sensitivitys? I loev the look of Frenchies but never knew they were fragile...

Hi Ali, Frenchie's aren't fragile (far from it if you see how hard they play together) but like other breed's (like newsensation_cleo said below about Dalmation diets) they have certain limitations and because a Frenchie is a brachy breed (like Pugs) they tend to feel the heat a bit faster so potential owners need to be aware of the breed they are purchasing. In this case, I hope the pet store is armed with the information to give the purchaser or as I said the purchaser knows about the breed. :o

That's sad. A few weeks ago one of the other local pet stores, the only one that sells dogs and cats had my breed (dalmatians)going for only a hundred less than I paid for a purebred and papered bitch. Not only did they not spell dalmatian right (dalmatian like the coast in Croatia, not dalmation) but had no good info on their special dietary needs AND all the dogs had kennel cough.

I didn't know dalmation's had dietary needs - what kind?

If the puppies you saw had kennel cough, they would have been pretty sick! Did that mean the purchaser would have to take them straight to the vet?! :(So on top of the price of a puppy they would also be paying some vet bills!