How Do I Find Out About A Possible Puppy Farm In My Area?

Terujo

Hi,

I have heard about a 'breeder' that can provide you with any typre of designer breed you want. She charged someone I know $500 for a 7week old pugalier, no immunisations that's apparently why the price was discounted :grimace:

I was told that she doesn't let anyone go to her place to see the pups as she doesn't want anyone bringing parvo in on their shoes. :hitself: She takes them to her workplace ( an ABC childcare centre) where buyers pick up their pup. She supposedly has heaps of dogs at least a dozen and has told buyers that she can because she is a registered breeder.

Noone seems to know where she lives but she is moving soon to a small town 40kms away for more room to breed more dogs. It is her husband's full time job this puppy breeding.

How can I find out more ?- I'd love to know where they are so I can have a 'sneak peak'.:scared:

Hi,

I have heard about a 'breeder' that can provide you with any typre of designer breed you want. She charged someone I know $500 for a 7week old pugalier, no immunisations that's apparently why the price was discounted :grimace:

I was told that she doesn't let anyone go to her place to see the pups as she doesn't want anyone bringing parvo in on their shoes. :hitself: She takes them to her workplace ( an ABC childcare centre) where buyers pick up their pup. She supposedly has heaps of dogs at least a dozen and has told buyers that she can because she is a registered breeder.

Noone seems to know where she lives but she is moving soon to a small town 40kms away for more room to breed more dogs. It is her husband's full time job this puppy breeding.

How can I find out more ?- I'd love to know where they are so I can have a 'sneak peak'.:scared:

If she handed over a pup to someone you know without immunisations she has broken the law. If you can get the person who bought it to say that out loud then she needs to be reported to the RSPCA - however, they want more than things you have heard.

Hi,

All of these shoots red flags all over at 'Puppy farm'. Registered and responsible breeders rare concentrate on more than one or two breeds at a time, and the HUGE giveaway is nobody at her place. A responsible breeder is all too happy to show off their happy and healthy dogs, parvo on the shoes is not at all an excuse. You could set up a dip tray if you wanted to if you were really concerned about this. And how can she claim concern for parvo if she's selling vaccinated pups?

If you have her phone number, PM it to me. I'd love to call her up and ask some questions. *narrows eyes* But from what you've said here, this sounds like a puppy farm all right. I would advise NOT buying from them unless you can go in person and see her dogs.

Very suspicious sounding overall.

Well lots of breeders dont like people coming to their homes for a variety of valid reasons and some breeders believe their puppies shouldnt be handled by and exposed to stranger until at least a certain age.

Rather than focusing on things the breeder is accused of she is able to do legally - in Victoria she isnt able to sell or home a pup before its 8 weeks old and unless it is vaccinated .

Like it or not she can decide she doesnt want strangers coming to her home and as time goes on you are going to see more breeders feeling the same. If you had people coming to your home trying to ping you for some supposed sin would you be eager to open you doors ?

Like it or not she can breed cross bred dogs or several different breeds and if the gossip is right and she only has about a dozen dogs she is possibly giving them all they need.

A puppy farmer is someone who breeds dogs in sub standard conditions and there is no evidence that this is what she is doing - breeders in Victoria have to comply with mandatory codes - even though they suck.

If you have evidence she did sell that pup under 8 weeks and it wasnt vaccinated then thats enough to have her more closely looked at by people who are charged with having the right to do that under the law .The local council and the RSPCA.

Hi,

All of these shoots red flags all over at 'Puppy farm'. Registered and responsible breeders rare concentrate on more than one or two breeds at a time, and the HUGE giveaway is nobody at her place. A responsible breeder is all too happy to show off their happy and healthy dogs, parvo on the shoes is not at all an excuse. You could set up a dip tray if you wanted to if you were really concerned about this. And how can she claim concern for parvo if she's selling vaccinated pups?

If you have her phone number, PM it to me. I'd love to call her up and ask some questions. *narrows eyes* But from what you've said here, this sounds like a puppy farm all right. I would advise NOT buying from them unless you can go in person and see her dogs.

Very suspicious sounding overall.

Awesome another witch hunt.

Ethical breeding is not defined by a certain number of dogs or breeds. It's certainly not right to condemn a breeder for not allowing people to visit the home and I can well understand why many are saying no these days, given the animal rights activists, do-gooders and those with no freaking idea.

If this " breeder" has sold a puppy under 8 weeks and not vaccinated, then it's up to the puppy buyer to lodge a complaint with the relevant RSPCA or the Council.

If this " breeder" has sold a puppy under 8 weeks and not vaccinated, then it's up to the puppy buyer to lodge a complaint with the relevant RSPCA or the Council.

i've heard this over and over again, people buying pups not vaccinated and clearly underage. yet people still buy them, i heard from someone a petshop diddn't believe in selling vacc pups. and still the person bought this pup and then proceeded to walk it around everywhere even after believing the pup wasn't the age the petshop told them it was.

i've heard this over and over again, people buying pups not vaccinated and clearly underage. yet people still buy them, i heard from someone a petshop diddn't believe in selling vacc pups. and still the person bought this pup and then proceeded to walk it around everywhere even after believing the pup wasn't the age the petshop told them it was.

Well thats pretty hard to believe - any pet shop that didnt believe in vaccinating and didnt vaccinate would be so stupid its soundling like gossip and crap to me. If its true and they didnt vaccinate then the buyer needs to report them.

In Victoria its against the law to home a puppy thats not vaccinated - there you have all you need to lodge a complaint if you have the evidence to back it up or if they can't prove they did.

I was told that she doesn't let anyone go to her place to see the pups as she doesn't want anyone bringing parvo in on their shoes.

Not the only breeder who practices this and no, it's not bullshite. Parvo CAN be tracked in on shoes.

I wouldn't be enouraging anyone to "sneak peek" on private property.

If there are welfare concerns, there are avenues to report them. Otherwise, my honest advice is to leave it alone.

Edited by poodlefan

Well thats pretty hard to believe - any pet shop that didnt believe in vaccinating and didnt vaccinate would be so stupid its soundling like gossip and crap to me. If its true and they didnt vaccinate then the buyer needs to report them.

In Victoria its against the law to home a puppy thats not vaccinated - there you have all you need to lodge a complaint if you have the evidence to back it up or if they can't prove they did.

yep second and third hand info and yes thats what i said to the person who told me, they'd have a pretty good case if it was true and to report the shop of all places, but i keep hearing it again and again so there must be something in that.

They may well be registered breeders.

That is registered with the council.

Unless you can actually visit the property & see the condition of the dogs & how they live there is no evidence for complaint about laws being broken etc.

The welfare issue is debatable. They may be very well cared for, although the picture painted does seem to suggest something odd, as one never knows what goes on behind closed doors with any breeder regardless of anything.

Its not illegal to cross breed or keep many dogs. The vaccine thing & age of sale are regulated & that's about it.

There is nothing you can do. Some people don't care where their puppy comes from. It cute & I want it is about all that concerns them.

I was told that she doesn't let anyone go to her place to see the pups as she doesn't want anyone bringing parvo in on their shoes.

we are very wary nowadays who we let through our doors because of run ins with various people in the past. so now we watch it and now i see that the animal libs are getting buyers to report back to them the condition of dogs and the conditon of the property then they have their guns blazing, come in seize dogs yell puppy farm, puppy farm. as what happened to a reg breeder i know.

so should we as breeders just open up our homes to anyone we come across? i think not. but yes, parvo can be carried on shoes and other items and its bloody hard to get rid of too, once you have it.

Unless you can actually visit the property & see the condition of the dogs & how they live there is no evidence for complaint about laws being broken etc.

The welfare issue is debatable. They may be very well cared for, although the picture painted does seem to suggest something odd, as one never knows what goes on behind closed doors with any breeder regardless of anything.

Its not illegal to cross breed or keep many dogs. The vaccine thing & age of sale are regulated & that's about it.

There is nothing you can do. Some people don't care where their puppy comes from. It cute & I want it is about all that concerns them.

You can own a prefix with Vic dogs and never breed a puppy or you can breed cross bred puppies or you can breed cross bred and purebred puppies . Lots of people who breed cross bred dogs have a Vicdogs membership and are therefore exempt form all things other Vicdogs members are exempt from. Vicdogs can only say what you can do with your registered purebred dogs not what you can do with your unregistered dogs.

The codes of conduct only cover what you can do with your registered purebreds and you dont need to show whether your dogs are registered purebreds to be exempt - you have to have Vicdogs membership and not own more than 10 fertile bitches.

we are very wary nowadays who we let through our doors because of run ins with various people in the past. so now we watch it and now i see that the animal libs are getting buyers to report back to them the condition of dogs and the conditon of the property then they have their guns blazing, come in seize dogs yell puppy farm, puppy farm. as what happened to a reg breeder i know.

so should we as breeders just open up our homes to anyone we come across? i think not. but yes, parvo can be carried on shoes and other items and its bloody hard to get rid of too, once you have it.

There are many breeders who are vulnerable, single women who live alone out in the boonies etc who have lots of fair reasons for not wanting strangers visit. For most of us our kennels are our homes and all of the crap about seeing where the puppies are raised means peering into people's loungerooms and in some cases their bedrooms. We also have other lives if we dont breed commercially, you know we have kids, and jobs and families. Reality is big commercial kennels are more likely to want you to come to them because they are all set up for that than we are and their kids and families are less likely to have to be put out by someone who just wants to look in case we are puppy farmers. .

Ive had people who just came to look and 4 weeks later a litter of puppies was stolen. Ive had someone come to look at a puppy and they arrived in 3 cars - while I spoke with one person the rest literally searched my property and went in and out of sheds with nothing in but tools - no dogs in sheds here and one ven walked in on my kids wathcing telly in the loungeroom .Their kids played on my kids bikes and broke one and they walked through concrete which my husband had just laid and was still wet . What do you want from us - blood?

Edited by Steve

Ive had people who just came to look and 4 weeks later a litter of puppies was stolen. Ive had someone come to look at a puppy and they arrived in 3 cars - while I spoke with one person the rest literally searched my property and went in and out of sheds with nothing in but tools - no dogs in sheds here and one ven walked in on my kids wathcing telly in the loungeroom .Their kids played on my kids bikes and broke one and they walked through concrete which my husband had just laid and was still wet . What do you want from us - blood?

Holy **%%%!! Don't you own a shotgun Steve :laugh:

You can own a prefix with Vic dogs and never breed a puppy or you can breed cross bred puppies or you can breed cross bred and purebred puppies . Lots of people who breed cross bred dogs have a Vicdogs membership and are therefore exempt form all things other Vicdogs members are exempt from. Vicdogs can only say what you can do with your registered purebred dogs not what you can do with your unregistered dogs.

The codes of conduct only cover what you can do with your registered purebreds and you dont need to show whether your dogs are registered purebreds to be exempt - you have to have Vicdogs membership and not own more than 10 fertile bitches.

Of course, I forgot about all that other stuff :banghead:

Got me to thinking now

Why am I registered with a canine association :shrug:

Yep matter of fact I do but seriously how far does a breeder have to go and what do they have to put up with because someone says its how to determine whether they are puppy farming?

Ive had peope who just decided to walk in and ask to see my dogs right in the middle of a family bar be que celebrating one of my kids engagements - you know dont let em know you're coming so they cant hide the bad stuff attitude.

people who tell me they wil be here at 10 but arrive at 8 to "catch me out "

- no concept of what it means to be a mother and the need to feed kids and dress them and have time for a shower or clean my teeth first thing in the morning but just in case I keep my puppies in shit get there early so she doesnt have time to clean up and you see what its really like.

Ive come home from shopping to find people camped in my yard having a picnic waiting for me to return after having had a look around and patting the dogs while they are waiting.

How did they find me? easy pay off the bird at the pizza hut and give her my phone number and she will give you my address from where I had a pizza delivered.

You too can have this if the RSPCA get their way and in order to breed you have to have your street address listed for all to see.

Yep matter of fact I do but seriously how far does a breeder have to go and what do they have to put up with because someone says its how to determine whether they are puppy farming?

Ive had peope who just decided to walk in and ask to see my dogs right in the middle of a family bar be que celebrating one of my kids engagements - you know dont let em know you're coming so they cant hide the bad stuff attitude.

people who tell me they wil be here at 10 but arrive at 8 to "catch me out "

- no concept of what it means to be a mother and the need to feed kids and dress them and have time for a shower or clean my teeth first thing in the morning but just in case I keep my puppies in shit get there early so she doesnt have time to clean up and you see what its really like.

Ive come home from shopping to find people camped in my yard having a picnic waiting for me to return after having had a look around and patting the dogs while they are waiting.

How did they find me? easy pay off the bird at the pizza hut and give her my phone number and she will give you my address from where I had a pizza delivered.

You too can have this if the RSPCA get their way and in order to breed you have to have your street address listed for all to see.

But Steve, those doing the right thing will have nothing to fear , will they ?

Just what we need, our street addresses published, so the animal activists can pay us a visit and decide if our dogs and pups require liberating.

I've got a couple of dogs that would rip someone a new bumhole, if they tried that crap at my place, but then again, I'll be in trouble for that too. It's a no win situation

We have beefed up security here too and the Maremmas make sure when Im not around or if its dark that all is well but its not possible to cover all possiblities and Ive no doubt that some people feel much more vulnerable than I do and dont want people to know where they live, who they live with , what their movements are and that their dogs are safe. You dont have to look far to see what some are prepared to go through to catch a puppy farmer if there is any suspicion or to steal a dog if they see an opportunity so I get why people who do have another life and who work ect or who live alone dont want everyone to know where they are and Im not sure its something that should be pushed so heavily as some kind of determinant of whether a breeder is ethical or not . Its a basic assumption that we all have huge kenels with staff and separate to where we live. they just dont get that for many of us our kennels are our loungerooms.