Jaundice

Kajirin

Ok well popped Tye down to the vet as he's been off his food and vomiting/diarrhoea. The vomiting seemed to abate, but he still wasn't eating. Which is totally abnormal for Tye.

At first it was thought maybe a sore tooth [as he has gingival hyperplasia], but no all seemed well in that area. Then the vet was thinking maybe a gastro type problem. So took a blood test to check for hydration. Came back with the centrifuged vial. He was dehydrated, but up top where it's meant to be clear it was yellow. So he double checked his mouth response and there was yellowing on pressing on the gum. So the vet is concerned now as he's showing signs of jaundice.

So, now he in for observation/hydration/antibiotics with a blood test to check liver/gall bladder/pancreas function. Will get the results tomorrow. He'll also be on morphine in case he's in any pain.

Am rather worried, but trying to remain calm.

Anyone else had similar problems? Sorry haven't done a search as am in worrywart mode atm.

Edited by Noishe

Rang the vet for an update...

Blood test result shows his kidneys, pancreas, gall bladder all normal but his liver is higher than normal...so something not right there. So still keeping him on fluids and antibiotics to try and clear it up, by flushing out his system.

He'll hopefully be having an ultrasound today so they can see what his liver is looking like.

But he's just resting comfortably for now and isn't on any morphine any more, as he's not exhibiting abdominal pain.

Did mention my concern about rats hanging around where he goes and Leptospirosis. Vet said he's seen more cases of that in Qld than down here in SA, so he doesn't believe it would be that. But he said the treatment is the same as what he's on now.

So just wait and see time.

Well sad news :( and all rather too fast. Had to give Tye his wings half an hour ago. Ultrasound results showed massive amount of tumours in his stomach. The vet did say they could do exploratory surgery tomorrow, but the chances of him making it through the operation were very slim.

So made the decision to give him his wings tonight so he wouldn't be suffering any more :cry:

As the vet said, it was the best decision to make as he was very weak and ill. Just loved Tye [Tongue] so much, but he's at peace now and not in any pain.

I've only just read this. :( So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

I went through a similar thing with my 8yo greyhound 5yrs ago.

One day she was well, then over the course of two days she became very jaundice and flat.

After being on IV fluids for a few days she was still very crook, and ultrasound revealed nothing (having such a super deep chest it was very hard for the vet to get a good look at all of Phoebe's organs)

So on about day 5 we went to surgery. It was discovered she had a huge tumour surrounding her bile duct, so she was given her wings on the surgery table. There was some wiz bang bypass surgery they could do and attempt to remove the tumour, but I didn't think this was fair to my dear girl, so I said goodbye.

I'm here if you need to talk. :hug:

Thanks again...

I guess it was just all so quick and unexpected and I really wasn't ready for it...took him in thinking he had a sore tooth or maybe a food allergy. He went downhill so quickly too, so could only do what was best for him. Even though would love to still have him here, he was such an awesome dog =]

But thinking back there were subtle signs, just didn't piece them all together til the end =\

I think that's the kind of surgery they were thinking of, or trying to remove the tumours. But I just couldn't justify putting him through all that as bad as he was. Don't think the vet really wanted to go ahead with the surgery either, I guess she knew in the long run it was clutching at straws I guess.

It's hard, but have the memories of him to cherish...so makes it somewhat easier in a round about way.