Homeless Pets To Get Helping Paw

Boronia

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/homeless-pets-to-get-helping-paw/story-e6freonf-1226158560546

Homeless pets to get helping paw

October 04, 2011 11:08PM

HOMELESS people's pets are set to get a leg up with soup kitchens across Sydney distributing pet food.

The RSPCA Living Ruff program, which kicked off yesterday, will see the pets of homeless people fed at various Exodus Foundation shelters across the city.

"Homeless people will often go without food themselves in order to ensure their pet is fed," RSPCA spokeswoman Fiona Millhouse said in a release yesterday.

"We believe both pets and people should have easy access to food ... hopefully (this program) will ensure that neither pet nor owner goes hungry."

Exodus Foundation founder Reverend Bill Crews said pets are often the only stable attachments homeless people have.

"The more homeless people know there are services available designed to look after their pets, the more secure they'll feel in what is, for them, an insecure, scary world," he said.

The RSPCA is seeking to expand the program to include emergency boarding, foster care and access to vets among other services.

Edited to remove my sarcastic remark about Pal :o

Edited by Boronia

What a wonderful program.

PAL is not my first choice but it is better than a pie or hunger.

Some sort of kibble would be easier to feed the dogs and many of the dogs would likely be getting soft foods from their owners.

I always think of PAL as tinned but of course they have kibble too.

Pacers has been helping people feed their pets now for 2 years in 5 states - Eukanuba.

That's great work by Pacers but the article wasn't actually about you. It might gave been nice for you to acknowledge that another organisation is also trying to help the disadvantaged, rather than just congratulate yourself on doing it first.

Why thank you snook for your unsolicted advice but you misunderstood . I was congratulating them and I wasnt congratulating myself but rather saying that both ORGANISATIONS are doing what is needed to help people and its do - able,much needed and a great way to help people.

Guest dogcentric

Oh, that's lovely!

Perhaps, people could donate bags of kibble to the RSPCA Living Ruff program?

And pet food companies could donate kibble, too. The program could also get a pet food company to sponsor them.

Great idea. The dogs couldn't care less what brands they are being fed, as long as it is filling their tummys. I fed my dogs on Pedigree dry & beef many years ago before all these different brands came out, and none of them were any the worse for it, in fact they lived long lives & were healthy.

Pedigree (new name for PAL for a few years now) does do wonderful things for rescue, so if they're the ones providing the food then good on them! I'm sure the dogs aren't fussy.

Yes, nicely said, megan....and marion, too.

I remember one of our DOLers, ages back, posting about a homeless man & his dog, who were regulars somewhere in the business centre of Sydney. I remember she was one of the many individuals who took it on themselves to help them.

What fantastic programs! Congratulations RSPCA and Pacers :thumbsup:

This type of support is so important and for me inspirational as it is keeping people and much loved pets together :)

I must look into the Hawkesbury...we have a number of homeless people who have their dogs with them, might ask the soup kitchen in Windsor if they offer this sort of help and support.

What fantastic programs! Congratulations RSPCA and Pacers :thumbsup:

I agree. :thumbsup:

I think it would be good for it to be broadly known about MDBA Pacers' service as well. The more pro-active help out there for people and their dogs the merrier and the only way it will be of any use is if people know how and where to seek it. I couldn't find any contact info for "The Courier" so that it could be alerted to a possible further editorial to inform the public of these fantastic and helpful services.

Edited by Erny