Puppy Waking Up...every Night!

Millie12

Hi all,

We have got a Mini Foxie Puppy and every night about 2am - 4am she wakes up and needs to go to the toilet and when we put her back in her crate to go back to bed she whinges and does NOT stop EVER we thought if we did this often enough she would learn but never does, does anybody have any suggestions?

I always take her to the toilet before bed but we find if her crate is in our bedroom or near our bedroom door she will sleep the whole night...go figure!!

Cheers

Hi all,

We have got a Mini Foxie Puppy and every night about 2am - 4am she wakes up and needs to go to the toilet and when we put her back in her crate to go back to bed she whinges and does NOT stop EVER we thought if we did this often enough she would learn but never does, does anybody have any suggestions?

I always take her to the toilet before bed but we find if her crate is in our bedroom or near our bedroom door she will sleep the whole night...go figure!!

Cheers

Does she spend anytime in her crate during the day? She needs to learn to settle in the crate.

I'd also try not to turn any lights on, and dont talk to her when you take her to pee. She wakes, pee's then goes back to sleep with no real interaction.

I'd let her sleep close to you. Maybe she wakes in the night and feels lonely?

Edited by Inevitablue

Hi all,

Cheers

Does she spend anytime in her crate during the day? She needs to learn to settle in the crate.

I'd also try not to turn any lights on, and dont talk to her when you take her to pee. She wakes, pee's then goes back to sleep with no real interaction.

I'd let her sleep close to you. Maybe she wakes in the night and feels lonely?

Thanks for your fast response :)

Sometimes during the day mainly on weekends because we arent home during the day (she gets the whole house to her self) we do give her a treat in her crate and then once she has finished it she will usually settle, but if you do just put her in there for no reason she carries on like a pork chop FOREVER! We have another dog and he is settled but she just cannot settle...

Maybe I will try the "no interaction" that could work...and maybe I will bring her crate into the bedroom and slowly move it to where we eventually want her to sleep, does that seem silly??

Not silly. Once she really feels secure in her crate, she should sleep in it where ever it is. If being close to you helps with that security then I'd have her close to you for awhile.

This might seem mean, but I put my pup in his crate and take my older one for a walk. I'm sure he was vocal the first time, but he is always asleep when we get back.

Edited by Inevitablue

If she sleeps through with it in your bedroom, move it. She's only a baby and needs to know her people are close by. Then in a few months when she's older and settled move it where you want it. Our boy slept in our room with the crate at the end of the bed from day one, and he slept through from week two I think.. it was pretty quick anyway. After about a year we moved him into the lounge room and it's still all good. He'll sleep anywhere as long as he has his crate.

i agree with previous responses. Wilbur slept in his crate beside my bed from 8 weeks old when we got him to about 11 weeks and has never even whined. I got up at intervals to toilet him during the night. at 12 or so weeks we moved the crate to the end of the bed and again no dramas. Then around 13 - 14 weeks he outgrew his puppy crate and moved into a 42" crate in the lounge room - again no problems. We have always taken him on lead out to the backyard at night time for wees. he's now 16 weeks and last loo break is around midnight; still on lead, no talking..straight out to do his business and then straight back into the crate for the night. we've been very methodical about our night time crate routine and Wilbur lets me know when he needs to go out to toilet. In the morning he has a little whine and if i don't hear him he will yelp a little louder to wake me up. I take him out to the loo and if it's too early (eg weekend and i want a little sleep in) we follow our night time routine and then he goes straight back into the crate and i go back to bed; he is so conditioned to this routine that he just follows it even if it's daylight outside. If it's getting up time, he gets breakfast after toileting.

Wilbur now knows that crate is for sleeping and he settles almost instantly when he gets in it. Even during the day when he's playing outside he prefers to come inside to sleep in his crate rather than sleep on his outside bed. It took a lot of crate training to establish Wilbur's high value for his crate, but it has been worth the effort.

good luck

I agree. If she sleeps through the night in your room just move her there then gradually move the crate to where you want it when she's older.

Kirah has slept through the night since day one of bringing her home but she's an outside dog so it's a little different. It was only during night 2 that she whined and howled all night but that was because I gave her a kennel to sleep in and took her wooden box (it used to be Poochie's bed) away. At 3 in the morning she still hadn't stopped so I went out and put her box back. She shut up instantly and I've never given her the kennel again. It's there if she wants it but she's happy and secure with her blankies in the wooden box so who am I to tell her any different! :D

Hi all,

Cheers

Completely normal. Put the crate next to your bed, toilet her as needed (and return her to the crate without fuss), give her a pigs ear to chew on and go back to sleep.

The crate can be moved when she's sleeping comfortably through the night.

for the first 2 months when I got my dog I bought a massive crate (I new he would grow into it)and a small dog kennel (I knew he would grow out of it) I would crate him in the night and he would sleep inside the kennel, then if he needed to go pee pee in the night he would do it in the crate, outside and behind the kennel. Then in the morning I would let him out clean out the crate.

Now he has the crate with no kennel sleeps throughout the night and goes pee pee when I let him out in the morning.