Westie With Weak Rear Legs

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had experience with the same issue here.

I have a 12 year old Westie girl in very good condition athletically and weight wise. Just in the last 3 weeks she has developed weak rear legs and hips, to the point that she will fall over going round a corner sometimes.

We have had a couple of vet visits; she is on anti inflammatory medication and is instructed to be fully quarantined with maximum rest. Although this is very hard to do, we have had moderate success keeping her confined. We have had x-rays taken which show nothing; bloods were also taken last weekend, but have had no word from the vet yet. We have another appointment in 3 days.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated, because at this point I am thinking degenerative myalopathy, although this seems to be very rare especially in Westies, just going by some quick web research, the signs point to it.

Thanks,

Matt

I second a visit to Matthew @ Chiropet . If he can't help you he will say so. He is also a vet, not just a chiro practitioner, so he may even have some other opinions for you too.

This has probably been checked, but brain tumour, diabetes, and other things also come to mind.

If you choose a chiro, could be best to only use a vet/chiro, I prefer physios as these have to have 7 years human physio and also several years studying to be an animal physio..Best to check out all possiblities first though. Good luck. xxx

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated, because at this point I am thinking degenerative myalopathy, although this seems to be very rare especially in Westies, just going by some quick web research, the signs point to it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm sorry about your Westie's mobility issues. I just have to mention that my Shepherd has degenerative myelopathy. This disease does not usually progress so fast, you should have seen more subtle signs before now. I've heard of other dogs that show the same signs but have something else wrong. One that comes to mind has a cancerous growth on the spine. If you still suspect DM, there is a DNA test that you can have done which tells you whether your dog has the genes for it. Also, if it is DM, your dog needs maximum exercise, not rest, so you need to find out what this is as soon as possible.

Does your Westie show any signs of pain?

Good luck.

Hi White Shepard Mom,

Thanks for your mail. No signs of pain and she has full mobility in hips and legs, just really wobbly.Bloods came back okay today and x-rays show nothing. Hmmmm!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm sorry about your Westie's mobility issues. I just have to mention that my Shepherd has degenerative myelopathy. This disease does not usually progress so fast, you should have seen more subtle signs before now. I've heard of other dogs that show the same signs but have something else wrong. One that comes to mind has a cancerous growth on the spine. If you still suspect DM, there is a DNA test that you can have done which tells you whether your dog has the genes for it. Also, if it is DM, your dog needs maximum exercise, not rest, so you need to find out what this is as soon as possible.

Does your Westie show any signs of pain?

Good luck.

Hi White Shepard Mom,

Thanks for your mail. No signs of pain and she has full mobility in hips and legs, just really wobbly.Bloods came back okay today and x-rays show nothing. Hmmmm!

Hi Matt, have there been any updates since your last post? Have you asked your vet whether he/she thinks it's DM? If you still have no answers, I would recommend you do the DM DNA test. At least it might rule out one more thing.

Thanks, no, the Vet is in the moning, will no more then

Hi White Shepard Mom,

Hi Matt, have there been any updates since your last post? Have you asked your vet whether he/she thinks it's DM? If you still have no answers, I would recommend you do the DM DNA test. At least it might rule out one more thing.

Thanks, no, the Vet is in the moning, will know more then

Hi White Shepard Mom,

I had a Weimaraner with rear leg weakness, which was due to cervical instability. However, it really became bad when she had a splenic tumour. Once the spleen was removed, her walking improved too. Although vets told me that it wasn't related, I had read of other owners who had experienced the same thing. I went to Matthew as well - he's terrific - and I seem to remember him telling me that he'd treated a Dalmation that went weak in the rear legs due to a splenic tumour.

I hope it's not - but better to be aware than not.

HI Everyone, Thanks for your tips. Its seem Matt the Chiro is a popular boy :o). Spoke to the Vet regarding DM and she didnt think it should be considered at this stage as it is rare in smaller dogs. Hailey is in for an MRI on Wednesday because she isnt getting any better. If we dont get any closer to a diagnosis after the MRI, i will give Matt a call. Turns out is office is right next to my work. Go figure!

Suddenly my little terrier x become weak in the hind legs and as she had a history of arthritis and hip spurs she was put on Metacam and cartrophen injections but sadly it was a massive liver tumour that had caused the hind leg weakness and there was nothing i could do for my little girl but to set her free to rainbow bridge.

Good luck in finding a diagnosis and then a treatment for your westie.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, MRI and spinal tap came back with no signs of anything untoward. Have given permission to test spinal fluid further. Thanks

HI Everyone, Thanks for your tips. Its seem Matt the Chiro is a popular boy :o). Spoke to the Vet regarding DM and she didnt think it should be considered at this stage as it is rare in smaller dogs. Hailey is in for an MRI on Wednesday because she isnt getting any better. If we dont get any closer to a diagnosis after the MRI, i will give Matt a call. Turns out is office is right next to my work. Go figure!

Okay, Just had a discussion with the Vet. It looks like GME at this stage pending results of further spinal fluid test.(Granulometous Meningioencephalomyelitis). Typical symptoms are staring at walls, walking in circles, walking with a drunken swagger, stumbling, wobbly gait,seizures etc.

will keep you posted

• 8 years later...
On 10/26/2011 at 12:20 PM, WelcomedanceWesties said:

Okay, Just had a discussion with the Vet. It looks like GME at this stage pending results of further spinal fluid test.(Granulometous Meningioencephalomyelitis). Typical symptoms are staring at walls, walking in circles, walking with a drunken swagger, stumbling, wobbly gait,seizures etc.

will keep you posted

My westie 7yo just passed away. He also had the same symptoms. He was walking in circle, stumbling to the point he could barely walk. The night before he died he got seizures. Now my other westie 10yo is stumbling but not walking in circles. Could he get the same disease? Is GME curable and infectious? thank you

34 minutes ago, Asikin said:

My westie 7yo just passed away. He also had the same symptoms. He was walking in circle, stumbling to the point he could barely walk. The night before he died he got seizures. Now my other westie 10yo is stumbling but not walking in circles. Could he get the same disease? Is GME curable and infectious? thank you

What has your vet tested for, or what has the vet said generally ?