Book On Shootting Raw & Editing

wagsalot

Can anyone recommend any books, websites, tutorials etc that are good about explaining the process of shooting in raw and editing the raw files?

Its something I've wanted to do for a while, and I think now is the time I put the effort in to learn it.

Also, am I going to end up with double the files? as in, my folder of raw files, then a folder of jpegs once they're editeD?

Just start shooting in RAW, Wags.

What do you use for processing?

I import into LR, process and then export as jpegs. So yes, I have the original RAW file and then the edited jpeg.

There's not much to it, but RAW keeps a lot of information, so you can push the image much further with processing (ie save overexposed images etc).

's funny - Lightroom is the least intimidating .... mind you I only ever use the absolute minimum of stuff on it!! I tried shooting in RAW for a couple of days ... back to jpeg again :) I'm not a serious 'togger .. :o

Photoscape's not bad- but with lightroom , and the 'brush' , you can concentrate your efforts on patches which need the work - not the whole image ;)

Here are a couple of links from DPS

LINK RAW V jpeg

LINK workflow

Edited by persephone

Anything by Kelby.

There is zero difference in shooting RAW or jpeg. Just flip the switch and start shooting.

If you use Lightroom, there's no difference in how you edit either as everything works the same way no matter what type of file.

Don't be intimidated by Lightroom - just import your photos and start moving sliders. Stick with the basics first: white balance, exposure, contrast, brightness etc. Also note that once you have imported your images into Lightroom, in the develop module you can select an image, then run your cursor down the supplied list of presets on the left-hand side while watching the changes in the little window on the left above said presets. You don't even have to click anything at that stage - gives you a great (and fast) insight into how a particular preset will look on that image.

All presets can be completely tweaked and every thing you do can be undone with a simple click - so you can never make a mistake.