Dog Trailer Advice

sibesnorth

After previously threatening to get out of Siberians, a new puppy has me looking forward to once again dragging multiple dogs to shows again.

I'm now looking for a new 4 berth dog trailer. I have quotes from both C-trailers and Davcar so far. Not really interested in purchasing something used at this stage and I'm not really fond of the Trek trailers. Any one have any other suggestions? At this stage I like the Davcar due to storage space but the C-trailer is about $1k cheaper when optioned. Can anyone suggest anything else to look at?

Cruising Caninies trailers are great :thumbsup: We recently borrowed a Somerset trailer from a friend for an interstate trip and I was very impressed with it too - they'll be another company I'll look in to when its time for me to upgrade

I bought a C Crates trailer just before christmas 2009 and I am very disappointed. It still leaks after being repaired. A wheel bearing went while I was driving earlier in the year and then on Sunday driving home from a show I stopped to get fuel and found that my tyre was hanging off out from under the wheel arch as the other bearing had gone and I had to get it towed 80klms to home. Other things have happened as well.

I hope this loads okay as I'm only new at posting.

I have a toledo, I have had is since 1999, and have not had a problem with. . Mine is a medium 4 beath. there is very little difference between the med and the large . but with the large the wheels are under neath, witch makes bays a little smaller.

I bought a C Crates trailer just before christmas 2009 and I am very disappointed. It still leaks after being repaired. A wheel bearing went while I was driving earlier in the year and then on Sunday driving home from a show I stopped to get fuel and found that my tyre was hanging off out from under the wheel arch as the other bearing had gone and I had to get it towed 80klms to home. Other things have happened as well.

I hope this loads okay as I'm only new at posting.

I couldn't believe this comment when I read it, so many similarities: I also have a ccrates trailer purchased in 2009 and it leaks (front tack box and front dog bays), we have tried numerous times to fix it, including having a marine cover made for the tack box and still we cannot stop the water getting in. We have had to fix a wheel bearing whilst on a road trip and the tyre was smoking. Seems we have had the same problems so I was wondering if your spare tyre has fallen off yet? If not I would carefully check it, ours rusted through in under one year where the weld joins held on the back frame. We had to have the frame re-welded to make it strong enough to hold the spare.

After previously threatening to get out of Siberians, a new puppy has me looking forward to once again dragging multiple dogs to shows again.

I'm now looking for a new 4 berth dog trailer. I have quotes from both C-trailers and Davcar so far. Not really interested in purchasing something used at this stage and I'm not really fond of the Trek trailers. Any one have any other suggestions? At this stage I like the Davcar due to storage space but the C-trailer is about $1k cheaper when optioned. Can anyone suggest anything else to look at?

I have been showing large breeds for nearly 30 years and during that time have purchased three Toledo trailers of various sizes. All have been excellent without any problems, and I have always got great resale value from them. I personnaly would not look at anything else.

I asked Canine Cruising for a quote last night and had it first thing this morning, impressive service so far.

The price seems really good and the list of standard features is great. It has bigger bays than the Davcar, but the Davcar still has the upper hand for storage as far as I can see.

C-trailers rang me to follow up on their quote, not really impressed with the flooring options so far. My old Classic Ind. 3 berth had a hot poured rubber floor that would have out lasted the entire trailer. It sealed the walls to the floor as a complete piece. No dog pee getting into nooks and crannies. Some how the option for marine carpet on ply just doesn't seem as good.

I have looked at Toledo, Tricky and Ranger trailers at southern shows. I'm sure there are differences, I just can't see them. They pretty much look generic. If I'm going to spend a small fortune, it would be nice to have something that standards out as different.

Anyone else have any other feedback?

TIA

Edited by sibesnorth

My Toledo trailer we purchased in 2007 for almost 9k delivered leaked from the day we took delivery. :mad

You can customise the Davcars. We had our bays made bigger and also the doors to accommodate the Danes. Compared to the other trailers I think they are excellent value for money.

http://www.davcar.com.au/dogtransport.htm

Edited by *Shelties N Danes*

Those FX trailers look good, seem to have loads of space for all your bits and pieces.

I had a 4 berth Trek many moons ago and sold it in 2004 as we bought a Olympic horse float to do the horse thing and I used the float for both hobbies. I now have a horse float that has a caravan section in the front so camping is never a problem and there's plenty of space in the horse area for crates for the dogs, although my Iggy sleeps in with me lol.

If your looking to be spending $15 - $20k for a trailer, maybe consider a horse float, as it can also double as a great "gazebo" :D

It won't be long before they will be making purpose built goosenecks with dog & human accomodation. They are becoming hugely popluar with the horsie fraternity.

Happy trailer hunting !!

After about 7 years of reseach and contact with trailer companies, I have recently ordered a trailer from www.cruisingcanines.com.au Whilst I dont have the trailer yet, it is being purpose built for me - as are all of their trailers and I was informed up front that the trailer would be a couple of months due to orders.

I have to say that I have rarely dealt with such a customer focussed organisation. Stacey and John are absolutely terriffic to deal with, all enquiries are answered promptly and I can only say that my experience has been nothing short of exceptional.... They have coped with endless questions from me, we have redesigned the trailer about 5 times, nothing is a problem and if my trailer is half as good as the service that I have received then I will be completely over the moon!!

I spent a lot of time surfing the net and contacted off my own bat people who had purchased trailers from Cruising Canines. I cant find anyone who has a bad word to say AND everyone that I contacted re the trailer when I was researching the company and looking for ideas, has been so helpful and generous with their time and sharing ideas. I really have been completely blown away by the experience.. Just fantastic.

I couldnt recommend them highly enough.