Price Range

wantsapuppy

$1500 is a LOT.. I have what's usually considered a "rare" breed and the most I've heard a breeder asking is $1200..

The first listing of Labradors has puppies for sale at $800/pet $1000/show..? The next one that displays price is $1200, the next one is $900, the next $1000, the next $1200, the next $1000, the next is $1500, the next is $950.. (This is not from me actually looking into the ones that don't display the price, just from what I'm gathering from the surface)

From what I can see from a glance, $1500 is the high end of the range, not the average. Looks like around $1000 is more the average.

Of course that being said, I wanted Hugo not because of the price but because I liked how the parents looked and they both checked in good with hip scores and PRA certs.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not ALL "rare breeds" come with a hefty price tag because they are rare. Sure, some of them do, but not all. I'd say price is dependent on not only rarity, but how many in an average litter, how easy/difficult they are to whelp, and popularity. Some rare breeds just aren't popular so don't fetch a fancy price tag or they'd never be sold! Labs are popular, hence the price tag. Doesn't matter how "common" they are, they are still pretty damn popular!

$1000 is no longer the average price, I would say $1200 would be the norm now, with some up to the $1500-$1600 mark.

Edited by RubyStar

I have to agree that $1500 is a lot for a relatively common breed of dog which tends to have big litters. I have a rare breed which is only around that much. My breeds has a lot smaller litters, as many health tests required and has a lot of people waiting for a pup. But if the breeders can get it then good for them :)

James was $1200 18 months ago and, from what I could gather from the publicly listed prices on DOL, at the higher end of the scale at the time. I've been browsing on and off throughout this year and the average listed price seems to be creeping up towards $1200, but anything from $800 - $1500 is fairly common. I wouldn't consider $1500 out of the norm, if you're happy with their dogs.

Not ALL "rare breeds" come with a hefty price tag because they are rare. Sure, some of them do, but not all. I'd say price is dependent on not only rarity, but how many in an average litter, how easy/difficult they are to whelp, and popularity. Some rare breeds just aren't popular so don't fetch a fancy price tag or they'd never be sold! Labs are popular, hence the price tag. Doesn't matter how "common" they are, they are still pretty damn popular!

$1000 is no longer the average price, I would say $1200 would be the norm now, with some up to the $1500-$1600 mark.

Oh no I didn't mean to sound snobby or anything :laugh: No I mean like.. Labs are as common as daisies, they have huge litters, there are a lot of them in supply, so the price doesn't make sense to be extremely high..

Oh no I didn't mean to sound snobby or anything :laugh: No I mean like.. Labs are as common as daisies, they have huge litters, there are a lot of them in supply, so the price doesn't make sense to be extremely high..

I agree they are common as daisies and all the above, except you are forgetting one thing - their popularity. As long as there is a demand for such a popular breed, the prices are going to rise.

This is true pointers are rare-ish and pedigree puppies can range from $500-$1500 ($1500 being very rarely the case especially for pets)

I would have thought labs were around the $1000 $1200 mark but then i dont think many or any pedigree dogs should go for less than around the $1000 mark these days because really in the grand scheme it isnt that exspensive and it can cost quite alot for a breeder to do what they do!:thumbsup:

This is true pointers are rare-ish and pedigree puppies can range from $500-$1500 ($1500 being very rarely the case especially for pets)

I would have thought labs were around the $1000 $1200 mark but then i dont think many or any pedigree dogs should go for less than around the $1000 mark these days because really in the grand scheme it isnt that exspensive and it can cost quite alot for a breeder to do what they do!:thumbsup:

Pointers are one breed I had in mind when I said that. Lovely dogs, but I don't think they are in the public eye enough so the average Joe doesn't really know much about Pointers! I think Aussie Shepherds were in the same boat a few years ago but their popularity has risen in recent years, as has the price tag (someone please correct me if I'm wrong :))

I agree they are common as daisies and all the above, except you are forgetting one thing - their popularity. As long as there is a demand for such a popular breed, the prices are going to rise.

Fair point :) If you're just looking at a pet though, there's no reason why they can't look at less expensive Labs (so long as the health tests done are similar etc). $800 sounds like a bargain for something soooo cute. :D

+1

there are currently 66 litters listed with 10 listing price:

$800-1000

$1200

$900

$1000-1200

$1000

$1400

$1200

$1000

$1500

$950

some prices were dependent on the choice of gender and some prices were dependent on limited or mains registered/show puppy. I would imagine the quality of the pedigree would also factor into the price...Litters that come from pedigree lines that are well known in the show ring to conform to breed standard i would/could imagine , demand a higher price.

ps. one breeder who doesn't list their price charges $1500...or did when i rang them in June.

Edited by suziwong66

I agree. Expecially when pet shops are selling puppies for close to $1000.

Edited by buddy1

Would i be better off looking at their scores rather then price and going for better scores.?

I would suggest that health scores should be your guide. Hip/Elbow (as low as possible) and PRC and EIC clear or at least carrier not positive. Then as i mentioned previously breeder communication came next. Price and location were very low on my list.

I would also be looking at the parents and decide which ones you like better in type, which ones you like better in temperament and which ones have a breeder you get on with :) Hopefully there is one that ticks all 3 boxes and is at a price you are willing to pay :)

I have to admit, for $1500 a pup I can't see that many Lab breeders who should be complaining about not making a profit. Even if an emergency C section is required. Maybe I should look at getting a Lab :laugh:

My Ruby was $1000 almost 5 years ago. I'd expect to pay up to $1500 for my next one :)

Only 6 months before I brought Ruby home, the going rate was $800.

Hi RS,

that graduation in price is similar to what we experienced. Casper was $500 in 1997 and Wilbur was $1400 in 2011. We're considering another furkid lab in about 2 yrs and i reckon $1500 might be the average by then...

My last litter I charged $1250 (earlier this year). Prices in NSW can vary from $900 up, and some not so favoured breeders in my eyes are charging $1800+ for a chocolate puppy - which I think is ridiculous. I personally think $1500 is too much for a pet puppy.

First and foremost, you must be comfortable with the breeder and their breeding practices.

$1500 for a Labrador, wow :eek:

confused.gif

It varies regionally. WA prices are high for Labs, and for most breeds. Well known show breeders would have long wait lists at $1500, and may raise prices because they can. For a Main Register Lab with a great pedigree and excellent health stats, $1500 is cheap.

Prices are lower in the US these days, probably cause everyone's broke.

Edited by sandgrubber