Why Dogs Shouldn't Wear Collars.

Gayle.

Dogs in this shire have to be microchipped to be registered so most people are aware that animals are likely to be chipped.

Most pet owners, yep, but the other 44% of the population, maybe not.

I have to add also that it's probably more common than one would think that chips are missed in pounds.

A ranger actually scanned my dog in the park the other day - he was out checking that peoples' dogs were registered with the council - and it took AGES to find hte chip. She's a toy poodle, too, so it's not like there was much ground to cover in searching for it. That did make me a bit paranoid.. he clearly didn't believe my dog actually was microchipped, and after a while I started questioning it myself! (Completely ridiculous, I know).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotties are bloody brilliant jumpers and escape artists, which is why we have 2m fences, secured top and bottom (as Zeph bulldozers like a wombat if he finds a weakness), with lockable gates.

ETA the two young ones are naked, as they play quite roughly as well as jump and tunnel, and the old girl is clothed. When we go for walks or out they line up at the front door near their collars to get dressed. It is their signal that we are going off the property. If we are just going next door or too the rubbish bins they don't have their collars on, which acts as their signal to stay close.

Edited by grumpette

Rotties are bloody brilliant jumpers and escape artists, which is why we have 2m fences, secured top and bottom (as Zeph bulldozers like a wombat if he finds a weakness), with lockable gates.

ETA the two young ones are naked, as they play quite roughly as well as jump and tunnel, and the old girl is clothed. When we go for walks or out they line up at the front door near their collars to get dressed. It is their signal that we are going off the property. If we are just going next door or too the rubbish bins they don't have their collars on, which acts as their signal to stay close.

don't know what to do now!

Guest lavendergirl

Maybe its a good idea for everyone on their next vet visit to ask that the microchip be scanned to make sure it is OK. :)

Funny you should post this today. Just a few hrs ago mindy was jumping around and got stuck on a chair and hung herself. Luckily I was with her at the time and it was no big issue. I hate to think what would have happened if I wasnt there. A good lesson not to leave a dog unsupervised with a collar on.

We are able to find the majority of lost dogs thru their microchip now anyway.

MIne are naked also.

Mine are together in their yard and dog runs when I am out. I also worry about them playing and one dog catching it jaw in another dogs collar.

Happened to a friend of mine and she was right there and only just saved her bitch, who's air had been cut off by a very paniced dog who's lower jaw was trapped in her collar. It had gotten trapped then he had started freaked out and had twisted the collar tighter trapping his jaw more tightly and cutting the bitches air off more completely.

same thing happened to the two staffy pups of a girlI worked with, both are fine thankfully,as she saw the incident.

This happened with my two rotti pups, Playing and my boy got his teeth caught around my girls collar twisted and tightened and cut of her air. hubby was thankfully home and heard whimpering was able to cut collar off in time. Hate to think if we weren't home. They are naked now.

I did have my first rotti get let out of the yard after a bath collar less but microchipped someone did keep him but i got him back almost 3 years later.

Also my dad's dog hung itself whilst he was at work on the fence so been in all three situations here. so now i chose to be collarless and microchipped and hope for the best

Currently ours are all naked. They play way too rough with each other, and the neighbourhood is generally a pretty good one.

However, I am moving out late this year and taking Holly with me. We are moving to very different area and I wouldn't doubt that many people would happily keep a dog if they came across one without a collar, especially a dog who looks like Holly. The vet had issues finding her microchip even when I told him exactly where I had felt it (I don't think he believed me), so I am going to get Holly a break-away collar for when we move out. She's not a jumper, or an escape artist, and is likely to be the only dog, so to me, a break-away collar makes more sense than no collar in this situation. Whenever we come home though, it will come off.

It comes down to your own situation and making the decision you feel more comfortable about.

My guys wear collars when at home. At one time or another all of my past dogs have gotten out (through idiot neighbour kids opening gates, or jumping out or whatever). Every time I have been contacted within an hour due to them having tags on their collars. If they didnt have the tags, I would either not have gotten the dog back due to someone keeping them, or I would be in a panic for days before getting the call from the pound. Id prefer not to spend 3 days stressing about where my dog was and if it was alive.

Oh, I wouldn't wait for the pound to call me. I'd call them if I hadn't found the escapee within a few hours. As well as all the vets in the area, the radio stations, the local school and anywhere else I could think of.

Oh, so would I Gayle, trust me, but you have to wait for someone to take your dog to those places in the first place.

Not necessarily. My dogs are all fairly unique looking, especially the blue merles, and none of them have tails. That alone is a point of reference. Schools are great places to get the word out that a dog is lost because kids know everything that's going on in the neighbourhood, including what new pets someones recently got. Radio stations will often run free ads for a lost pet, and vets can keep an eye out or an ear to the ground for you.

Maybe its a good idea for everyone on their next vet visit to ask that the microchip be scanned to make sure it is OK. :)

I do this already have seen/heard of too many chips moving/stop working and coming out even years after implant.

I do this already have seen/heard of too many chips moving/stop working and coming out even years after implant.

This is so true. Chips do at times move around, come out or stop working.

Ours are all collar free as well. Years ago we were having Christmas Eve at my parents, I took the dogs out for a wee & sniff etc. Our Kelpie Bella's tag got stuck in the back door mat (wooden bath mat) she spun around and around in moments. I hate to think what would have happened if I was not there.

Ours are always inside or crated when I am not home so I know they are safe. It is not just collars, people leaving gates open etc, etc also because of snakes etc. I wish I didnt worry so much :o though I love them all so!

glad you found his escape route! A friend of ours resorted to CCTV to crack his frequent escapee's secret.

Billie doesn't wear a collar at home. She is not prone to wandering and I frequently find tufts of hair snared in small gaps around the place that she has stuck her head through.

My dogs up until now have always been "naked" but since we have moved to the farm they now wear collars. My reasoning was that if they did get out of the house yard they would be recognised as pets rather than wild dogs.

There is a large wild dog population in the ridges behind the house and you can often hear them howling and sometimes see tracks around. :eek:

But I think I will investigate these breakaway collars.....they might be a safer alternative. :)

glad you found his escape route! A friend of ours resorted to CCTV to crack his frequent escapee's secret.

We would never have figured it out if we hadn't seen it. We were fairly close though.....we thought he was standing on a brick planter that runs the length of our courtyard, one side of which forms part of the fence dividing us from our neighbours. We thought he was standing on the rim of the planter and jumping til he hooked his paws over the fence, and spider-walking his back legs up then going over to the neighbours yard and out their front gate.

We've cut off that escape route anyway, just in case he gets other ideas.

We've had 5 Aussies at this place, and he's the only one that has tried to get out. I thought he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he was hiding his light under a bushel cos it took a bit of brain power to work that one out.

It's not like they don't have a lot of space, we live on a very long 3/4 acre block and they have almost half an acre as their backyard. I think he just wanted to go sightseeing.

Not only can they get caught up and strangle themselves to death on fences, decking etc they can also get caught up with each other, as mine have done, it's very scary and could have ended up being tragic.

Check cahins are the worst, but still people leave them on their dogs...

Guest donatella

This is so true. Chips do at times move around, come out or stop working.

Ours are all collar free as well. Years ago we were having Christmas Eve at my parents, I took the dogs out for a wee & sniff etc. Our Kelpie Bella's tag got stuck in the back door mat (wooden bath mat) she spun around and around in moments. I hate to think what would have happened if I was not there.

Ours are always inside or crated when I am not home so I know they are safe. It is not just collars, people leaving gates open etc, etc also because of snakes etc. I wish I didnt worry so much :o though I love them all so!

i'm never at ease unless i'm with her and can see her. when noone is at home i constantly worry, wish i could work from home or take her with me to work but that will never be allowed in my profession :(