Sorry - Yet Another "what Breed Should They Get" Thread

jr_inoz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A schnauzer is a very different dog to a mini schnauzer - which is what I think you're recommending (ie the mini)? You'll need to explain this to them because many people think they're just the next size up but they are not dogs for first time owners.

just curious but, in what way are they different and why wouldn't you recommend them for first time owners?

The Schnauzers I have met seem to be much more chilled than their mini counterparts.

ok - I know, another one of "those" thread.

took my little sheltie to a friend's bbq at a park today. Everybody loves her. She loves kids and so the little ones there had lots of fun giving her cuddles and pats. A couple of them were talking about how they will be getting a dog one day. They have obviously been talking as a family because they are looking at either a "spoodle" or a "cavoodle". I said to the little ones, I think a miniature schnauzer might be a better fit for your family, or a havanese. Of course, they went straight to mum to talk. Mum was receptive but commented "we can't afford a nice pure bred dog - we can only afford a cross breed". I told her they were around the same price. (hope this is right, but when i see labradoodle prices of over $1000 I don't think I am far wrong.

I would like to keep "planting seeds" about suitable breeds for them so that they can go and do their research.

So... what breed.

Family with 3 children - youngest is 8 I think. Fairly active family, but not a huge yard. Working dog would be out (unless it was a sheltie or corgi - something that didn't need lots of yard).

Youngest also has pet hair allergies (not all animals - she seems fine with my sheltie), so something low shedding would be good. Yes - I've told them all dogs shed some fur, even poodles. They would need something that didn't require lots of brushing.

They would also need a small dog (not toy size). They think my sheltie is the ideal size.

any suggestions? thanks....

it sounds like a corgi or a schnauzer might be good.

I'll start planting seeds for them.

I think a retired show dog might be the answer for them. I know they would probably love a puppy but I think it will be out of their price range (knowing that my breed are now around $1000, I think corgis and schnauzers are that or a bit more....). I suspect their decisions are a bit further down the track though. Hopefully I'll be able to slowly work on them. Might take the dog mad younger ones to a show in the next month or so...

Sorry not a Corgi (especially a Pembroke)...some are very active many are quite layed back BUT the Pembroke does shed copious amounts of hair and there's no break from that, there's something coming out all year round it's just the amount that varies.

You're looking at anywhere between $1000-$1400 for a well bred Pembroke puppy on the East Coast. Occassionally there might be a mature dog available for the cost of desexing. Young adults often are the same cost as a puppy and in some cases they are house trained etc.

Based on coat (hair) alone I'd not recommend a Pembroke.

Edited by Aziah

all mini schnauzers i've met can be naughty as hell if just left outside. they are people dogs and want/need to be amongst the action indoors with the family. can't they just have a crate set up in a common space (like the dining room) where the dog sleeps of a night? and let it in amongst the family during the day? honestly, what's the point getting a dog if you don't have it around/with the family?

as for price, my mini was a tick under $1000 - but as a salt & pepper was a less in-demand colour, the black & silver or blacks are a little more i think

When they say outside do they mean outside while noone is home? Or outside full time? Dogs are pack animals they need to be with their pack or they get very lonely :( what's the point if you're going to leave it outside away from the family? Once the novelty wears off that poor dog will likely be left to it's own devices :(

I suspect they would say outstide all the time. I think this would be because youngest daughter is asthmatic (badly) and they would be wanting to keep the house as allergy free as possible. My other hunch though, would be that puppy would end up being allowed in the back room where the family hang out alot but not allowed inside the main part of the house (which is close to the bedrooms.)

I am going to give them the link to "before you get your puppy" just so that they have a better handle on what life with a dog will mean. I can see they have thought through quite a few issues, but not all of them.

I wouldn't suggest a Lakeland in a home that isn't dog savy. They can be very busy, full on dogs.

We have a Border Terrier. She is independant and would rather be outside than in, most of the time. If she comes inside, she sits and looks out the front window so she can watch the cat. :laugh: PM the DOLer Leema, she has and breeds Borders here in SA and could give you a better idea on Borders and how they might cope in this situation.

• 2 months later...

update....

just had an excitied phone call from friends to say they are on the way home with their puppy - poodle-maltese.

I tried.....

They did, however, not buy from a pet store, asked the 'breeder" - who has 25 years experience apparently lots of questions. (I had given them a long list of things to ask when looking for a purebred puppy) They were impressed with her answers and loved the set up at her property. I hadn't had the chance to show them how to go over a puppy and check its conformation - pity. Haven't seen him yet, but suspect I will in the next few days.

Baby steps......

I have been through the exact disapointment before with friends asking me for advise and then buying from a byb'er.

You did your best and there is nothing to say the dog won't turn out to be a nice pet for them :)