Looking For Reputable Gsd Breeder

Stefie

Hello everyone!

Sorry if this is not the right place. It's not often that I am hanging around in this section of DOL, am usually in the rescue section.

Anyway, a friend of mine would like to get a new addition to her family (Mum, Dad and two little kids). She's looking for a female GSD pup.

I have been looking at the pound sites for a while but no pups, only adults. They also would like to know both parents. So I thought the best would be to go straight to a breeder. But where do I start? Does anyone know any around in this area, i.e. Far South Coast of NSW or ACT?

Or if anyone knows of any rescue pups?

Doesn't have to be show quality or working line at all. The dog is just wanted as a pet.

Hi Stefie

Please find the web address for the ACT GSD Club, they have a puppy listings officer who might be able to assist you.

ACT GSD Club

Alternatively, as there are not many breeders of GSD's in the ACT, you might wish to try the NSW GSDL, see link

GSDL

You would be able to find puppies closer to you listed on their website as well. It is unusual to find GSD puppies or even young adults in pounds or shelters. The GSDL does run a rescue service, but most dogs thru rescue are also adults.

To give you an idea of the price at the moment a good quality GSD pet puppy will start around $1500 at this price the puppy will come with pedigree, registration with DogsNSW, immunisation certification. The puppy would be from Breed Surveyed, Hip and Elbow Certified parents. With GSD's it is not often that you would get to meet both parents of the puppy, as a lot of breeders will use a stud dog which could be interstate or not that close by.

If your friends contact either club they will find a lot of people willing to assist them.

Good luck with the search for your friends.

Thank you so much, freundhund!

They are some very interesting websites and I will pass them on.

I don't know if they are ever going to find what they are looking for.

I told her it is just about impossible to meet both parents, especially if they are rescue dogs.

And now they are even saying that they can't afford $1500! :eek: I will have to have a serious talk to them that they will have to make some compromises somewhere! They can't have a PB with all bells and whistles for just a thank you!

I am working hard at the moment to get them to stay away from the BYBs! :(

Monsimbee on the central coast have great dogs don't know their prices but they can give them and email and see what is coming up.

www.monsimbee.com.au

edited to add that their next litter they have mum, dad and grandparents on the property to meet.They are also members of GSDL and Dogs NSW.

Edited by PRADA68

Thank you so much, freundhund!

They are some very interesting websites and I will pass them on.

I don't know if they are ever going to find what they are looking for.

I told her it is just about impossible to meet both parents, especially if they are rescue dogs.

And now they are even saying that they can't afford $1500! :eek: I will have to have a serious talk to them that they will have to make some compromises somewhere! They can't have a PB with all bells and whistles for just a thank you!

I am working hard at the moment to get them to stay away from the BYBs! :(

I would talk them out of it if they are whinging about the cost well they wont be able to afford the upkeep, and the poor bloody thing will end up in the pound.

This much I can definitely vouch for that they WON'T take the dog to the pound!

And it would be one pampered pooch if you go by how they looked after their previous 2 dogs who both died of old age.

They do have the money for the upkeep, vet costs etc. The dog would be desexed, vaccinated, everything that needs to be done would be done. They just don't want to outlay that much money in the start, which I can understand. I wouldn't do it either knowing how many beautiful dogs die in the pounds...

So definitely a good home, they just have to make up their mind what they actually want.

I can also highly recommend Monsimbee! Your friends will be able to see parents, grandparents and also some of their puppy keepers.

Puppies won't come cheap as most registered GSDs come in between $1500 and $2000. They will find the folk at Monsimbee to be

very knowledgeable and supportive. And they insist on taking puppies back should the need arise. Hopefully your friends won't go to the Trading

Post because there you get what you pay for.

Here's hoping they see the 'light'

Cairo1 :D

We have a 4 month old male GSD from Takimbre Kennels in NSW. Their advice is great. They follow up and their puppy pack is incredible. Lots of food, vitamins, wormers, shampoo, training videos. Brock has an amazing temperment so I highly recommend giving Col and Shirley a call. I think you will find them on DOL profiles

I have been breeding GSD's since 1980 and this particular kennels have really impressed me. We stopped breeding them about 6 years ago. Their knowledge and concern over their babies is fantastic. My daughter bought this pup and they even rang me to make sure it was ok for her to get it. At the time they had read her web page that she did at 13yo and didnt realise it was an old one.