Extremely Matted Dogs Owned By Colleague - What To Do?

Alkhe

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on whether and/or how to approach this situation tactfully.

I used to work in the same team as a man who has 2 dogs. Last year I actually looked after his Spoodle/Cavoodle (I can't remember which) a few times, including when he brought home the new Maltese x Shih Tzu puppy. Fast forward 9 months or so: We're now no longer working together, but sit a few metres from each other and have had some run ins at work. I don't want to go into them here, but essentially we don't have a very good relationship anymore.

A month or two ago, I saw him at the park with his two dogs. Initially I didn't recognise them, because they are the most matted dogs I have ever actually seen in real life. They rival a RSPCA/rescue organisation's before shot. The larger dog (that I have previously looked after) was almost not even shaped like a dog, he is so matted. You can hardly see his legs moving when he runs, there is just so much thick matted fur all over him.

The younger white dog is in a similar state. I would not be surprised if he has never actually been bathed or groomed in the 9 or so months that the man has had him. It is absolutely horrendous, and I was completely lost for words the first time I saw the dogs and then saw him, making the connection.

The man went away on holiday for 3 weeks or so, and got back a week or 2 ago. I thought that maybe he was going to get it sorted before he went away, or that he would get back from holiday and get them clipped. However I saw them again yesterday at the park. Another woman I know from the park actually commented to me on "that man with those poor, poor dogs". It was a pretty hot day in Melbourne yesterday, to the point that I actually clipped my little dog back even more, and my park friends and I were sitting around in the shade with frisbees filled with water for the dogs. I have no idea how this man's poor dogs coped in that heat.

My question is - is there something I can do? I don't know his address, or I would report him to the RSPCA. I have considered making a light hearted commented about how it's time for a clip, hey! Or something about how summer's coming, looks like our dogs all need new hair cuts. Something along those lines - but I'm just not sure. It's also complicated by our work relationship, which would be a complicating factor regardless of whether we worked well or poorly together. It just means I'm quite hesitant to broach this the wrong way, because I don't want to damage things further. There has been a lot of me "being the bigger person" and biting my tongue- it's just that I'm genuinely distressed at the welfare of these dogs, particularly coming into summer.

He brings the dogs to the park at least once a week, so they get some exercise and I'm assuming they're not neglected in any other way. They run around and fetch balls quite happily, but.. their physical state is honestly atrocious. It really, really does look like a photo that a dog rescue would show, before the dog is clipped back to reveal flea infestations and urine burns all over their legs. I am not exaggerating.

Has anybody ever been in a similar situation, or do you have any advice as to how, or whether to attempt a conversation about this?

Edited by Alkhe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea if this woud work, but can you take down his car number plate and report him to the RSPCA?

Not sure if they have the power to trace him that way?

Would just look someone at the park reported him then.

Guest donatella

i'd go the light hearted way, could say something like "how do you search your dogs for ticks with such thick coats" or something about summer coming and wondering if the dogs get a blade 1 all over.

If you already have a bad relationship - I seriously doubt he would listen to any suggestions from you regardless of which approach you take.

If you are concerned for the dogs welfare - then best to report it.

What's he like at the park, does he chat to other people? Do the dogs approach other people?

What I'm thinking is, is there someone else at the park with a Poodle or Poodle x that could have a chat with him? I agree he probably won't listen to you and will get defensive.

Having Saxon (toy poodle x) I quite often talk about grooming with people with other poodle type dogs (do it yourself? is it difficult? where do you take him? how much does it cost, how often? etc etc) Maybe someone would be willing to bring it up with him and comment on how his dogs are pretty matted, possibly in pain, have fleas etc and would he like to know a good groomer... Or even explain they can be clipped off with decent scissors, might not look perfect but at least gets the matts out.

Such a hard situation, hard to tell if he doesn't know any better, doesn't care or just gives in coz the dogs whinge when he or a groomer tries to clip them. Whatever it is, so unfair on the poor dogs :(

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Juice - I didn't actually think of that! Will see whether he drives to the park and see whether I can take down a numberplate, and whether that will work. Good thinking!

Saxonpup - that's actually a great idea too. I actually have a Toy Poodle too, and have those exact conversation with a number of other people at the park. Unfortunately this guy doesn't tend to approach other owners which makes it more difficult, but I might speak to some of the people I know at the park and see whether we can have that kind of conversation within his earshot and .. get him to join in I suppose. Most people tend to say hi to each other and have a bit of a chat while our dogs play together, but this man tends to steer clear of the group.

I'd even offer to clip his dogs FOR him if I thought he would be amenable to it, but as Tilly said, this is hardly likely to work in this situation!

Thanks again for your input, definitely some things to think about. :)

Maybe slip him groomers business cards, adds from the paper or flyers (leave them on his desk or his car windscreen wipers) and hope he does the right thing. Or report him to the RSPCA, the dog is in pain and would be very uncomfortable.

Scissors are no good when so matted - must to be clipped off and will have to be SHORT..

Guest donatella

I find it odd that a man would have dogs like Cavoodles and Maltese type dogs.

Why?

Plenty of men have little fluffy dogs :D

i've rarely seen it. i've seen the girlfriend or the wives have the fluffy dog but never the man. i have a fluffy dog and most mens opinion of her is i should have gotten a real dog and not a yappy rat.

Hey Alkhe, I know you have a little Poodle! :) Normally I'd suggest bringing it up in the course of conversation yourself but wouldn't want you to make your interactions with this guy any less pleasant :( That's why I was thinking someone else could say it...

Andisa, couldn't you sort of lift the matts and cut the hair off underneath, right at the skin? That's what I'm picturing based on the knots Saxon gets. Or does the hair sort of matt right onto the skin when it gets bad?? :(

Why?

i've rarely seen it. i've seen the girlfriend or the wives have the fluffy dog but never the man. i have a fluffy dog and most mens opinion of her is i should have gotten a real dog and not a yappy rat.

Don't talk like that infront of my 6'3" truckdriver husband with his much loved Shih tzu (and I have the big dog!)

Why?

Then I'd say most of the men you know are knobs.

Guest donatella

Why?

Then I'd say most of the men you know are knobs.

this is why i'm still single :laugh: i agree

If you lift knots and try to cut them the skin pulls up in the middle and if you use scissors inevitably you cut a chunk of skin out. Much safe to use clippers.

Poor dogs report him I have no patience for such people

Edited by OSoSwift