Side Effects Of Feeding Dogs Bread?

heroeswit

I'd tell her the dogs have had a fight over bread, and she will be responsible for the vets bills when it happens next time.

If someone was throwing food in with my dogs I can guarantee there'd be a fight. :mad

That is another worry I have had, because they do fight over food.

Well I talked to her this afternoon. Told her that the vet had put my older dog on an extremely restrictive diet because he was extremely and I was just wondering if she was feeding them anything.

She then told me that she occasionally feeds them "bones" and that she didn't see how he could be overweight because he looks great. icon_smile_mad.gif

When I told her he was 15kg over the weight he should be she was shocked and said she isn't going to feed them any more "biscuit bones"icon_smile_mad.gif and that she was only giving them to the dogs in the first place because they always sit at the fence looking lonelyfrown.gif

I proceeded to tell that they were just sitting there watching the activity in her yard ie chooks, cats & her gardening etc.

So now she has promised not to feed them anything I'll just have to wait and see if it worked. Next months weigh in should be interesting.

if this doesn't work I will be using a lot more of the suggestion everyone has made.

Thanks

My nighbours kids used to throw food to my dog who does gave allergies it is very frustrating especially when the kids tell their parents im lying and that they are NOT throwing food over. Really like id make it up as if i have nothing better to do...

We have had this happen and ended up fencing off the drive way which was annoying as it cut down the amount of space the dogs had. And then showed the parent the food her kids had thrown on our driveway and sdvised her if they kept doing it we would start throwing the food back over for her to clean up. Suddenly she managed to get off her backside and tell her kids to stop feeding our dogs.

I would be restricting the dogs access to the neighbour as I would be really unhappy at someone feeding my dogs bread - I have seen a dog bloat and die after scoffing a belly full of stale/mouldy bread.

Unfortunatly i cannot fence it off it would mean the dogs only have the small alfresco area and no place to toilet etc. the kids havent thrown stuff over in 6 -8 months so im hoping it continues.

Bloody interfering neighbours, why do people think a dog needs to be fed becasue it looks at the or looks hungry!!!

I am glad I don't have nieghbours as I would be on speaking terms for long if they did things like that.

I do remember one dog coming into work who was VERY overweight and everythign was calculated and the dog barely lost any weight. He honestly was down to just about nothing. Eventually it came out the neighbour was feeding him pies, up to two a day among other crap!!!

I would have gone on the complete war path

tell her exactly what you told us that one of your dogs is overweight and explain how unhealthy it is for your dog to be overweight. No need to turn it into an arguement she might think shes doing them a favour explain the situation and she might be ok. Lifes too short to argue with neighbours esp if it can be solved with a simple explanation

You might try a totally different tactic and invite her over to feed your dogs properly. Go through the dinner time ritual, etc. If you do it right it will be a little embarrassing for her, and maybe she'll see the light. Maybe a dumb idea . . . who knows.