Cavvies Purchased From Registered Breeder-

Jodi

Breeders just like everyone else have things happen to them they cant predict which affects their ability to take a dog back.

Breeders lost everything in floods, bushfires, they grow older and they move house,they loose their jobs,they get sick and its simply not

possible now to predict how taking an older dog back will have an impact and why it may not be in the best interests of the dog.

Ideally every breeder would be able to guarantee that they could do this or at least help in finding a new home etc and sometimes there seems to be no good reason as to why they wouldnt but life isnt that simple and to

expect someone can take a dog and in several years time because they decide they have to dump their dogs that the breeder will still be in the same position they were back then is a bit un realistic.

Funny that the owner appears to be off the hook and the focus is on the breeder not being interested even though its them deciding to throw away their family.

I agree with Steve on this. Actually it goes a long way as to why there are so many dogs in shelters etc. The people get the dog then as soon as circumstances change (As they do in everyones life) simply offload the dog.

I once sold a pup to some people that lived nearby. A few months later I saw a pup of one of my breeds advertised as a purebreed in a local garage sale.It was the one that I bred. The reason for selling it -"it gets out of the yard through a hole in the fence" so rather than fix the hole it was easier to get rid of the dog. These people have since gotten another dog anyway.

I really think that within modern society there are many that don't seem to understand the meaning of responsibility. I work on the theory that when you get a dog you are responsibile for it for life- not just until it becomes too difficult. To the extent that I have refused a transfer and promotion at work simply because I wouldn't be able to relocate with all my dogs- I could only take a few and I would have been over the council limit by two dogs within the council area I was to move too. Because of those extra two dogs I didn't take the promo. I decision I have not once regretted.

Although there are many breeders that will take a pup back or assist with rehoming there is no obligation. Breeders have lives too and are not here to clean up after everyone elses situations and whims.

Its the dog owners that have changed circumstance not the breeders, therefore its the owners problem not the breeders. The owners circumstances changed its up to them to make the arrangements.

Flame me if you like but as far as I'm concerned its about time some people grew up and were accountable for their actions.

I agree with what you say. Everyone should be held accountable for their responsiblities. However that said, as a Cavalier Breeder myself it would have been nice if the breeder of these dogs had a least directed the owner who needed to surrender her dogs to "Cavalier Rescue" via the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club of Victoria.

That's not going to be too much of an ask is it?

Maybe it isn't too much too ask. For all we know it may be a backyard breeder that doesn't know of the existence of the CKCSC of Vic. Or perhaps this was suggested to the owners but not mentioned as it doesn't suit them as an alternative.

In my previous post I mentioned a pup I bred. I went to look at getting this pup back but the people wanted more than they paid for it. Instead I sent someone around that was interested and they got it for a lot less. These people thought that they would get extra money from me simply because I originally bred the dog. I had advised them when they got it that if they couldn't keep it i would take it back but I am not going to allow someone to profit from stupidity. Maybe that is why the breeder of these cavs is not able to help.

However I still feel that if people accepted responsibility for their actions there would be no need for any breed rescue organisations. Or at least not as much is there currently seems to be.

Perhaps there is some merit in the concept of testing people before they get a pup and having a licence to own a dog. I don't really agree with the extra laws and crap but it might go a way to preventing these situations.

Further it gets me that this thread has turned into a "Bash The Breeder" when the reality is none of this is the breeders fault and no-one has heard the "Breeders" side or circumstance.

Either way I still feel this is not the breeders fault and so the blame should not be directed back to them.

Edited by yarracully

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what you say. Everyone should be held accountable for their responsiblities. However that said, as a Cavalier Breeder myself it would have been nice if the breeder of these dogs had a least directed the owner who needed to surrender her dogs to "Cavalier Rescue" via the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club of Victoria.

No one even knows if the breeder was actually contacted or it was just a bullsh!t story told by the owners.

I have cats, I would not take back one of mine if they were not cat safe.

No one even knows if the breeder was actually contacted or it was just a bullsh!t story told by the owners.

I have cats, I would not take back one of mine if they were not cat safe.

And that's fair enough too. Not everyone is lucky enough to have room to isolate an adult dog in their home from their other animals.

Regardless of whether or not a breeder can take their dog back a GOOD breeder will always care that their dog needs a new home. Sadly, much as I feel like this is not a popular opinion on DOL, there are MANY registered breeders who don't care past the point of sale.

This very much sums up where I'm coming from. I don't intend to comment on the particular case, because nobody knows, including the OP, what the truth of the situation is. I simply reacted to the idea that there is no obligation on a breeder to take back a dog they have bred. I don't accept that idea. Yes, people's situations change and sometimes there is a physical impediment to the original breeder actually taking the dog back into their home, however there are many other ways to be actively involved in ensuring a new home is found for the dog asap. In my experience in rescue, there are far too many breeders that are happy to take the dollars when the pups turn eight weeks, however eight months, two years, five years down the track, they can't help. Often, the dog is having to be rehomed because the choice of home wasn't suitable in the first place, responsibility for which lies squarely in the breeders' lap. When I end up with a dog being surrendered that has papers and I call the breeder to tell them a pup of theirs is in rescue, I get "So...??" Once, I was even told "oh, I couldn't possibly take the dog back, I've got two litters on the ground and haven't time or space!" As you can tell, I tend to have a fairly jaundiced view of some breeders.

This is not the case at all.

But I guess you are green to putting dogs/pups in homes and dont have the experience to know better.

Oops! Guess you don't know who you're responding to. Presuming that Zenchel is the kennel name as well as the DOL name, it's hard to find a more experienced, informed, and conscientious breeder.

Regardless of whether or not a breeder can take their dog back a GOOD breeder will always care that their dog needs a new home. Sadly, much as I feel like this is not a popular opinion on DOL, there are MANY registered breeders who don't care past the point of sale.

This very much sums up where I'm coming from. I don't intend to comment on the particular case, because nobody knows, including the OP, what the truth of the situation is. I simply reacted to the idea that there is no obligation on a breeder to take back a dog they have bred. I don't accept that idea. Yes, people's situations change and sometimes there is a physical impediment to the original breeder actually taking the dog back into their home, however there are many other ways to be actively involved in ensuring a new home is found for the dog asap. In my experience in rescue, there are far too many breeders that are happy to take the dollars when the pups turn eight weeks, however eight months, two years, five years down the track, they can't help. Often, the dog is having to be rehomed because the choice of home wasn't suitable in the first place, responsibility for which lies squarely in the breeders' lap. When I end up with a dog being surrendered that has papers and I call the breeder to tell them a pup of theirs is in rescue, I get "So...??" Once, I was even told "oh, I couldn't possibly take the dog back, I've got two litters on the ground and haven't time or space!" As you can tell, I tend to have a fairly jaundiced view of some breeders.

But I guess you are green to putting dogs/pups in homes and dont have the experience to know better.

Oops! Guess you don't know who you're responding to. Presuming that Zenchel is the kennel name as well as the DOL name, it's hard to find a more experienced, informed, and conscientious breeder.

now that IS funny and since she added her name to a previous post I imagine your assumptions are absolutely correct :D

Yes, that must be it. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Cheers,

Sylvia

anytime.

Btw, lilli, what has been your experience with re-homing dogs that, for one reason or another didn't work out?

I'd guess that the large guardian breeds, being dogs that aren't recommended for beginners, and that require careful management because they tend to be protective and extremely loyal to their owner, can be difficult to re-home . . . and are very likely to fail temperament screening in a dog rescue organisation.