Sugar Free Sweets

Loraine

Zedley(who is not normally a scrounger hound or a beggar boy) found my stash of Sugar Free sweeties, by the time I found him he had unwrapped a dozen of the tiny things and scoffed them down - now I can hear his tummy gurgling away and the occasional smelly wind, and he has thrown up. He also had the runs :laugh: Luckily nothing worse has happened to him.

He had a vet appt this afternoon for something else, and has been laughed at mightily.

poor baby.. hope he feels better in the morning

my sister in law fed talia chocolate at easter :mad she had to have an emergency vet visit because she started fitting....her finding it is one thing...but feeding it to her.....grrrr she fed her a whole 150g bunny.

i made the dumb idiot fork out for the bill to, wasnt to happy but she had no choice really

Guest donatella

i think people worry too much about whats supposedly poisonous to dogs and being too anal.

i understand chocolate is a definite no go but i've known dogs that live off dry food and table scraps and i mean ALL table scraps including all foods these days people say are bad for dogs and these are dogs who lived until they were 15 and 16.

i'm sure your dog will be completely fine the crafty little bugger getting through all those wrappers :laugh:

I've been wondering about dogs eating lollies! I don't often have them (more chocolate which I knownthe dogs can't have) but had some jelly babies recently and the dogs were desperate for them, they always want the people food no matter what it is.

They just didn't seem like something dogs should eat so I didn't give them any but somehow Saxon managed to get hold of the last one in the pack. He was fine but I won't be

voluntarily feeding them! Are normal lollies (not sugar free) particularly bad for dogs?

Edited by Saxonpup

Guest donatella

I've been wondering about dogs eating lollies! I don't often have them (more chocolate which I knownthe dogs can't have) but had some jelly babies recently and the dogs were desperate for them, they always want the people food no matter what it is.

They just didn't seem like something dogs should eat so I didn't give them any but somehow Saxon managed to get hold of the last one in the pack. He was fine but I won't be

voluntarily feeding them! Are normal lollies (not sugar free) particularly bad for dogs?

i think regular sugar is better then artificial stuff although there will be folk who tell you no sugar at all as well.

my mums old dog LOVES lollies, she eats them most days and is nearly 15 and has had them all her life.

i think people worry too much about whats supposedly poisonous to dogs and being too anal.

i understand chocolate is a definite no go but i've known dogs that live off dry food and table scraps and i mean ALL table scraps including all foods these days people say are bad for dogs and these are dogs who lived until they were 15 and 16.

i'm sure your dog will be completely fine the crafty little bugger getting through all those wrappers :laugh:

Most things, including chocolate are fine in small quantities.

We do however know that Xylitol is quite toxic to dogs, and even small amounts can kill.

Why would you want to risk that when you can entirely avoid it?

I don't call removing potential toxins like ratsak, snail bait etc from the dogs environment "too anal" so why would being careful about certain foods that have been proven to cause serious health problems be any different?

We do however know that Xylitol is quite toxic to dogs, and even small amounts can kill.

I don't call removing potential toxins like ratsak, snail bait etc from the dogs environment "too anal" so why would being careful about certain foods that have been proven to cause serious health problems be any different?

:thumbsup: safety first

I think some things are taken to extremes, yes.

But so much of what we humans use/ingest - in particular artificial ingredients, are just not good for dogs ... they are metabolised differently, and can cause havoc.

Guest donatella

I'm sure this lady didn't lay out her candies for the dog to come and eat, it was an accident he got into her bag, we all have stories of wandering nosey dogs getting into our stuff and we learn from it and I bet from now on she doesn't keep candies in her bag or at least keeps her bag well and truly in a high spot.

I heard that one they use in diet coke is deadly that one that starts with phanelinanie?? i dunno how to spell it atm lol

but ive heard its dangerous is this true?

Phenylalanine is an amino acid, a build block of protein. It is an essetial part of the diet for most people and dogs. The body has a mechanism for breaking down and eliminate any excess. There is, however, a rare genetic illness called PKU and the people who have it cant breakdown and eliminate phenylalanine, which makes them sick and can lead to death. This is why you have the warning labels on food. As far as I am aware thee is no corresponding ilness in dogs.

Hi Loraine, hope your doggy feels better soon! :)

I don't personally believe in artificial sweeteners for even people, as they are bad for your body ! I am a diabetic and rarely touch the stuff . I was buying those sugar free lollies for a while, but don't anymore.

Accident do occur no matter how careful we are. however I do try to keep non doggy safe things in places where I hope they will never get to them. So far so good in all the years I have owned dogs. I guess it only takes one time tho.:o

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I'm sure this lady didn't lay out her candies for the dog to come and eat, it was an accident he got into her bag, we all have stories of wandering nosey dogs getting into our stuff and we learn from it and I bet from now on she doesn't keep candies in her bag or at least keeps her bag well and truly in a high spot.

I wasn't responding about the OPs situation- which I am sure was an accident and i am glad that the dog is fine :)

I was responding to your comment that you think people are too anal with letting their dogs eat certain foods.

I can tell you I have seen some very sick dogs, some even died for things that may seem to be harmless eg. bones, macadamia nuts, onion, dark chocolate, coffee, sultanas etc.

I say better safe than sorry. I do not think we should trivialise the danger of dogs eating some foods.